Extracting useful data from your OBDII port

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a matter of fact it is. Until you turn on the heater or aircon, that is. As these are excluded from the power meter.

The real surprise ( :evil: ) is the instantaneous fuel consumption. There are times at which the engine is running AND consuming fuel where the dashboard says it is not.

anko said:
The real surprise ( :evil: ) is the instantaneous fuel consumption. There are times at which the engine is running AND consuming fuel where the dashboard says it is not.

My OBD2 HUD gave the same.

I think at the time jaapv commented that the dash is showing energy flow, and not if the equipment is operating or not.

I think I may have even said so myself. But I wasn't referring to the energy flow diagrams, but the instantaneous fuel consumption dial (right most of three dials). It can easily show no activity, even though the engine is running and consuming 2 or 3 liters / 100 km.

anko said:
the instantaneous fuel consumption dial (right most of three dials). It can easily show no activity...

Wow those "dials" are so bad, I can't believe someone came up with that screen. I never use it, MMCS is either on split screen Range+Map, or sometimes the text info screen which shows l/100km and all the other numbers (and always 100% EV for short trips of course!). Very rarely the middle screen to show others roughly what the car is doing.
I do like the "engine / tyre / battery flow" small screen on the dash. I picked up a lazy foot not pressing the brake enough by noticing some current from the battery to the wheel when stationary a while back. "Subtract one leaf for you, sir!" :lol:
What MMCS and dash screen do others sit on in day to day driving (and why)?

anko said:
As a matter of fact it is. Until you turn on the heater or aircon, that is. As these are excluded from the power meter.

Thanks.

But there is a separate dial for that (ac and heater) that you can add to the power meter, yes?

The scale on the power meter is very coarse, jumps of 3.75kw I think, which is a bit primitive.

Just offhand what was the speed limit?

I do notice the ICE operating and consuming petrol without providing any useful energy, don't recall exactly how much from the HUD. Happens mainly, the first time the ICE fires up when driving. You see the blue arrow blinking on the energy flow screen on the dash.

gwatpe said:
I do notice the ICE operating and consuming petrol without providing any useful energy, don't recall exactly how much from the HUD. Happens mainly, the first time the ICE fires up when driving. You see the blue arrow blinking on the energy flow screen on the dash.
Yes. But also when coasting in parallel hybrid mode. You lift your foot of the gas. Orange arrow disappears and fuel consumption seems to go to 0. But engine keeps running and consuming fuel.

Oscarman said:
Sorry in my previous post that should have been i-610.
Amazon have this unavailable and I can't seem to find a UK distributor.

https://www.ukpartsdirect.com/vehicle-diagnostic-tools/icarsoft-uk-diagnostic-tools/icarsoft-uk-engine-tools.html

Postage £4.95 on BT version (just ordered)

anko said:

Ok I will try again .

But there is a separate dial for that (ac and heater) showing kw on the MMCS that you can add to the power meter on MMCS , yes?

Are you saying the instantaneous fuel consumption is inaccurate and is not showing the right figure? To me it seems to update slowly sometimes (when I reset takes a couple of secs to update). But seems reasonable accurate compared to manual measurements at the fuel pump.

anko said:
gwatpe said:
Yes. But also when coasting in parallel hybrid mode. You lift your foot of the gas. Orange arrow disappears and fuel consumption seems to go to 0. But engine keeps running and consuming fuel.

My mistake with the arrow colour, it is orange.

I see this with my HUD that has ICE rpm as well as instant petrol consumption. No orange arrow, but sure has petrol consumption, with ICE still operating. I raised this with the dealer when I purchased the car, but was told this is how the car works.

I have had some OBD2 adapters for some time now, and have restricted testing to free apps on my phone. Decided to get the Torque PRO version and this can log any PID available. For a start the economy is mainly affected by petrol consumption. I will be checking my driving strategy with logging of the speed, petrol consumption and power to the wheels.

A test earlier today, for a half an hour local drive, , with no parallel hybrid operation and starting with a full battery and ending with 1 bar down was quite revealing. 22km total, used 0.7L of petrol with an average consumption of 4.1L/100km. This drive was up and down hills with many sharp corners and roundabouts, but mainly 50 & 60kph zones. %EV ended up around 65%

Here is a pic.
obd2speeds.gif

This was just a preliminary drive, but I intend to check to see if driving style offered by others can stand up to some objective scrutiny. We should be able to record our typical drives or say a set test that may be repeatable for comparisons. I will be checking if the battery %SOC and operating mode really impact economy in a way that a typical driver will notice.

Tools are available to owners of a smart phone, for a relatively low cost that should allow drivers to be pro active in checking their own driving styles.

Once the ICE started, it did not turn OFF. Economy was not seriously affected, returning 4.1L/100km over the 22km.

gwatpe said:
I have had some OBD2 adapters for some time now, and have restricted testing to free apps on my phone. Decided to get the Torque PRO version and this can log any PID available. For a start the economy is mainly affected by petrol consumption. I will be checking my driving strategy with logging of the speed, petrol consumption and power to the wheels.

A test earlier today, for a half an hour local drive, , with no parallel hybrid operation and starting with a full battery and ending with 1 bar down was quite revealing. 22km total, used 0.7L of petrol with an average consumption of 4.1L/100km. This drive was up and down hills with many sharp corners and roundabouts, but mainly 50 & 60kph zones. %EV ended up around 65%

Here is a pic.
obd2speeds.gif

This was just a preliminary drive, but I intend to check to see if driving style offered by others can stand up to some objective scrutiny. We should be able to record our typical drives or say a set test that may be repeatable for comparisons. I will be checking if the battery %SOC and operating mode really impact economy in a way that a typical driver will notice.

Tools are available to owners of a smart phone, for a relatively low cost that should allow drivers to be pro active in checking their own driving styles.

Once the ICE started, it did not turn OFF. Economy was not seriously affected, returning 4.1L/100km over the 22km.
Nice pic. When you say you ended with SOC one bar down, you mean battery was still almost full? Or almost empty?

BTW: Do you use a WiFi OBDII adapter? Or BT?

I am still waiting an OBD2 adapter (bluetooth) from China. I think I will try Torque free version and quickly buy the Pro version.
In the app, will I have to put some parameters (as I've seen for some HUD), or simply choose the "Mitsu Outlander PHEV" in a cars database ?

(AFAIK) there is no such thing as a "Outlander PHEV" database fore Torque Pro, other than the one that I have composed myself. And even that database does not work by itself, as TP does not know how to communicate with the PHEV specials ECU's. For this purpose, I have build a protocol converter that sits between TP and the OBDII dongle, more or less as a proxy. I am still thinking on "whether and how" I should make that available to the public.

Unfortunately, it only works with WiFi OBDII dongles. And I have only used / tested it with my own phone (which BTW is an old and pretty straight forward Samsung with a KitKat rom). But for me, it works very well. I can even tell it to start /stop logging everything read from the OBDII port to a CSV file, by pushing one of two buttons in a TP screen. See the other topic in this section, I opened today.

Thank you anko (and sorry to be late to thank you :oops: ).

Other question for the community : is it possible to read the battery's capacity and the 80 cells capacity with a BT dongle ? I presume that the answer is yes since EvBatMon can do that... but how ?

I've read your explanations for a wifi dongle and telnet, but is there a method with a BT connection (from android smartphone or Win10 PC) ?

Not likely anybody finds this interesting, but I did some "sorting out" and wanted to share what I found just in case somebody did find it interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#Mode_01 specifies the meaning of standard PIDs of a standard ECU (engine). Not all standard ECU support all standard PIDs, but an ECU does tell you which PIDs it supports (see Bitwise encoded PIDs in the wiki page). For our ECU, the bitmap for the first 96 PIDs is:

00 - 07 10111110
08 - 0F 00111111
10 - 17 10101000
18 - 1F 00010011
20 - 27 10010000
28 - 2F 00010111
30 - 37 10100000
38 - 3F 00000001
40 - 47 11111110
48 - 4F 00010000
50 - 57 10000000
58 - 5F 01000000

This confirms for example that out standard ECU does not provide "Hybrid Battery Pack remaining life %" (0x5B) or "Engine fuel rate l/h" (9x5E).

I have plotted the data from my extended constant speed SAVE mode test for the petrol tank fuel level sensor.

fuel_gauge.png

The petrol consumption rate, [L/100km] was very constant for a period of over 400km. The gauge does appear very linear from the OBD2 data. I had to use a 10 point average to remove a lot of the measurement noise. This was a brim fillup, and the 100% level being constant for some time identifies the fuel in the filler tube and very top of the tank. The petrol calculated very closely matched the petrol required to refill the tank to the brim again.

The gauge on the dash does not do the sensor justice. My PHEV seems to take a long time to move the gauge at the start and the rate the bars disappear seems to speed up as the tank empties.

Will be interesting to get a plot of running the petrol tank out completely/ This will show how the PHEV uses the last of the battery before allowing more petrol to be consumed to run the tank out completely

PSedit: This plot was from Torque PRO data, and the default PID gives petrol consumption [L/100km] and fuel tank level [%].

The battery dynamics are an interesting component of data logging that can be seen once plotted.

I have plotted the battery voltage [in brown] and battery current [in the familiar green for energy sourced to the motors and blue regen sinked from the motors] vs time for a period that included some regen and harder acceleration. The scale ranges are provided to the left, and the value on the white vertical line is given as well.

battery_Dynamics.png

The battery voltage rose by close to 5 volts during the REGEN and fell by about 5V during 100A of discharge. This gives the internal resistance of a battery cell in discharge at under 1mOhm.

Back