Sat Nav - why so fiddly??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattCar

Am I doing something wrong? You don't seem to be able to just put in a postcode without adding a road name. This is ok (but should be unnecessary ) if you know the road name but some remote roads dont have names or I dont know them. Other satnavs such as Tomtom seem to be more intuitive. Having said that, once you've managed to press Set without getting the reject 'bong' it works very well and the little turn indicator/map which appears in front of you is brilliant. At least you can turn off the awful half male/half female voice!

Hi,

Once a postcode is entered you can just hit list to list any/all street names within that postcode. Silly if there is only one street available. Also noticed choosing an address this way (using postcode) won't then allow you to add a house number. Strange.

Kind regards,
Mark

My Navman has a feature that alerts with a loud a beep if I exceed the speed limit for the road I am on (Melbourne drivers are fined heavily for exceeding the speed limit by as little as 3Kmph).

Although the built-in navigation system shows the speed limit for the road, it does not seem to have the alert should the limit be exceeded. Do others in the international community have this alert feature? Or has this feature been banned by certain countries being the reason for its omission?

Gabe said:
My Navman has a feature that alerts with a loud a beep if I exceed the speed limit for the road I am on (Melbourne drivers are fined heavily for exceeding the speed limit by as little as 3Kmph).

Although the built-in navigation system shows the speed limit for the road, it does not seem to have the alert should the limit be exceeded. Do others in the international community have this alert feature? Or has this feature been banned by certain countries being the reason for its omission?

That's a feature that I would like too - got it on a recent copy of Co-pilot that I purchased for my smartphone, so it is certainly still legal in the UK, at least.

jaapv said:
Simply use the speed limiter.

That may be ok on long stretches of road when the speed limit doesn't change but isn't really a solution otherwise.

The solution I've used for a number of years is an old Garmon satnav with a speed camera database hidden away somewhere. It turns on/off with the car, gives a blip when approaching a camera ONLY when doing within 5mph of the limit, and gives a repeating blip when exceeding the limit near a camera. Still not quite the solution requested though.

avensys said:
jaapv said:

That may be ok on long stretches of road when the speed limit doesn't change but isn't really a solution otherwise.

The solution I've used for a number of years is an old Garmon satnav with a speed camera database hidden away somewhere. It turns on/off with the car, gives a blip when approaching a camera ONLY when doing within 5mph of the limit, and gives a repeating blip when exceeding the limit near a camera. Still not quite the solution requested though.

Co-pilot on an Android phone does it very well. I can configure a margin of error and it sounds an alarm as soon as my speed exceeds the local speed limit by more than that figure. It also includes the speed camera database, but the two are separate functions.

A beep for approaching the speed limit would be very useful but I believe that using satnav with speed camera function is illegal in certain countries (France for instance).
I found the speed limit symbol really useful on holiday in Germany/Holland when not that familiar with the standard limits - an excellent reminder, but since the car also has a speed limiter it seems obvious to have the option to link the two systems in some way.
H

maby said:
avensys said:
jaapv said:

Co-pilot on an Android phone does it very well. I can configure a margin of error and it sounds an alarm as soon as my speed exceeds the local speed limit by more than that figure. It also includes the speed camera database, but the two are separate functions.

Cam you give more info on Co-pilot as I have it installed on my Android phone but can't find the option you mention. Also, you say that the speed warming and camera database are separate features but can they be used together? Is the camera database a third party or the one it provides?

Thanks in advance.

jaapv said:
Haven't found that feature in the Aussie edition.
I have Adaptive Cruise Control, but I don't seem to have the speed limiter. In any case, the speeds on the road to work vary quite a lot, and mobile speed cameras can be anywhere, which forces one to constantly monitor ones speed. That navman feature would have helped a lot, as we no longer have an engine sound as a cue to ones speed.

avensys said:
Cam you give more info on Co-pilot as I have it installed on my Android phone but can't find the option you mention. Also, you say that the speed warming and camera database are separate features but can they be used together? Is the camera database a third party or the one it provides?

Thanks in advance.

OK - in the version of Co-pilot on my phone (recently purchased UK version on an Android phone) I go to the "Settings" menu and scroll down to a menu item "Speed Limit". From there, I can turn on audible and visual warnings if I exceed the speed limit and set the margin by which it has to be exceeded to trigger the warning.

Safety Cameras are a separate option from the Settings menu and they are done through a downloadable database. I think that may be a subscription service - I've only been using it for around 6 months, so any subscription I paid when I purchased it should have several months to run.

Back