RBS System Failure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick2b

As some of you have commented previously, my PHEV has a hard life - 40k miles a year from fast motorway, to mountain track and off-road.
I seem to be a 1 man system tester for Mitsubishi too, as previous issues have all resulted in extended technical assessments.
The latest was this week. On the steep decent between 2 Lakes District passes (no phone signal and lashing with rain at 6am of course) I got an RBS system failure warning on the dash and the vehicle immediately defaulted to safe move ie no acceleration, creeping forward in drive only. I pulled over, turned off and waited a few minutes, then restarted. The problem appeared to have gone, which was a relief as my only way out was via another 1:3 ascent. On the way back down exactly the same thing happened again, only this time, my on/off trick took longer to clear the fault.

Given my usage, the local dealer (absolutely brilliant as usual) took it in straight away. After a few days, though not certain yet, it would appear that water has ingressed to the battery compartment and on the steep decents has caused it to pool in an area which has triggered the problem. Not yet sure how the water has got in (though it has been very wet up here this week and we have had to navigate some man-size 'puddles').

As I said, great job by the dealer and technical team who have stripped out the whole of the battery pack, which is no mean task. What is great, despite not being able to recreate the problem under normal driving, they never once did the usual garage trick of 'can't find a problem mate'. Only down side is having a Skoda Octavia courtesy car!

Woops, spoke to soon.
Dealer has now recreated the problem (on the test drive to see if it was fixed!).

Struggling to diagnose - could be a long one.

Might be a problem with a wheel speed sensor. The RBS light came on as well as a heap of others when a rear wheel speed sensor became faulty. There is an extensive trouble shooting system based on errors that show up that was used to find that problem with my first PHEV. Hope your PHEV is fixed soon.

No fix yet. Car has now been away 2 weeks, with a further week to come.
Bad news is the garage now has another car with the same problem.

Still no car back.
Currently been sent to Colt Cars In Bristol.

Dealer still being obliging but Mitsubishi now not great, seems they are not keen on changing the battery pack due to cost.
Hmmm, warranty??

Even at 40000, replacing the car may still be a cheaper option.

RBS failure should have other battery diagnostic flags, like internal resistance, or loss of capacity.

This data is readily available at the OBD port. MMC have all the tools.

I would assume, in the constant too-ing and fro-ing between the dealer and Technical in the 4 weeks to date, they have gone through all the options.
I would have hoped that transporting the car 250 miles on the back of a low-loader would have been an act of last resort.

Still no car.....
At least Mitsubishi has now rented me a 4x4 from Enterprise - a Kia! how ironic, at least I don't have to still drive the Skoda!

Still not sure the Kia Sportage is worth the £600 company car lease cost that I pay!

Update

Still no car, but some progress. Mitsubishi Japan have now approved Colt Cars to progress with the repair - presumably replacement battery pack.
I am hoping to get the car back before Xmas - that will have been approaching 2 months.
The other car at the dealer with the same problem is still awaiting repair.

Hurray!! I have my car back, complete with full replacement battery pack.
Dealer covered themselves in glory, no so sure about Mitsubishi/Colt Cars.

Anyway, up and at 'em. Though not without it's faults, it's an awful lot better than the hire car!

The same fault has occurred on mine but they are saying that the battery pack has been damaged allowing water ingress. There is a small dent in the bumper but I would have thought the battery pack should be better protected so it didn't disable the car.
Its now looking like an insurance claim and a new battery pack. :|

Back