Warning sound when towing?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treo

I tried towing with my PHEV. I have a permanent hitch (people can not parallel park in Stockholm so I mostly use it as a distance to other vehicles bumping into my car) which the dealer installed.

However every time I use the left indicator I get a warning sound from the rear of the car. Should this sound have been connected to when I reverse instead? I suspect the dealer has installed something very wrong.

I also have a tow bar (hitch) installed by Mitsubishi before it was delivered and I don't get the warning sound when indicating. I would take it back to the dealer. However, I have not tried reversing with the trailer attached. Maybe its supposed to give a warning sound when reversing with trailer attached?

Treo said:
I tried towing with my PHEV. I have a permanent hitch (people can not parallel park in Stockholm so I mostly use it as a distance to other vehicles bumping into my car) which the dealer installed.

However every time I use the left indicator I get a warning sound from the rear of the car. Should this sound have been connected to when I reverse instead? I suspect the dealer has installed something very wrong.

I dare say the dealer stuffed it up big time... It's easy enough to do, and sadly very common.

In the UK the indicators have to give an audible warning when the trailer is attached. This is not the usual indicator sound but another one (I think it is to warn of indicator failure on the trailer).
If this is the sound you are hearing then it should be heard when the trailer is attached and you indicate in either direction.
If you do not hear it when indicating right then it could be that the warning buzzer is not installed correctly, or that the right indicator light is not working on your trailer.

I rented a trailer from another firm and had no audible warnings whatsoever this time. I think the warning sound - as pointed out here - could mean the indicator light is out of order.

Happy to hear the PHEV might be OK after all!

Treo said:

I have towed quite a bit with my PHEV and the indicators sound and work no differently than driving without towing, so yes the dealer needs to look at it.

Question, do you have a GX3 with parking sensors or a GX4 with a camera?

I just wanted to confirm that when towing no indication is given to the driver that the indicator is working? Either a beep or symbol on the dash?

I thought the car had to notify you that everything was OK and working ?

In my case, when a trailer is hooked up, everything behaves as normal, so no, there is something wrong with your setup.

In the UK, the regulations are . . .

3.5.8 Indicator Circuits

A heavy-duty indicator relay may be needed to operate the additional caravan flashers without overloading the standard unit, or affecting its flashing rate. On recent cars, this may not be necessary. It’s a legal requirement that the towcar ‘shall be equipped with an operational tell-tale for front and rear indicators (including any rear indicator on the rearmost of any trailers drawn by the vehicle)’ (Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, 1989.)

This is sometimes referred to as the ‘C1’ and ‘C2’ functions (‘C1’ refers to the telltale for the car’s indicators – C2 is the extension of that function to the caravan). This tell-tale can be audible or visual. Some show the correct functioning of the indicators, perhaps via an instrument panel light or boot- mounted buzzer. Others operate by altering the standard flasher function to an alternative ‘warning’ signal if a fault is detected.

This latter option is in essence an extension of the car’s built-in bulb failure monitoring system, and is increasingly the most common option especially with vehicle manufacturer-supplied wiring kits, and vehicle-specific aftermarket wiring kits.

Note that this tell-tale function is sometimes neglected when the towbar wiring is fitted – this is illegal.

Do check with your system supplier as to how the tell-tale functions, however, before assuming the C2 function has been ignored – some owners expecting a separate warning light or buzzer have been surprised to learn they have a function integrated into the car’s bulb failure warning system instead.

Unquote

I am going to try and remove an indicator bulb tonight from the trailer and see what happens.

From what i understand I will either get a warning, or a rapid flashing indicator

I get boot beeps when indicating left or right with a trailer, UK requirement.

I find it serves to remind you that the trailer is there when changing lane if nothing else!

StevePHEV said:
..., or a rapid flashing indicator

Useless fact of the day: this is from the days of having indicator timers based on bi-metallic strips that heat up from current flow causing a relay to activate. When a lamp fails, the current load changes which causes the bi-metallic strip to heat up faster, creating a rapid indicator speed.

In modern vehicles, the indicators are flashed with an electronic circuit which doesn't suffer this problem - however, the current draw is monitored by the circuit, and when it changes (lamp failure), the electronic circuit speeds up the rate of flashing to imitate the old bi-metallic behaviour as an indication to the driver that there is a fault, as that's what people have been used to!

mjb said:
StevePHEV said:
..., or a rapid flashing indicator

Useless fact of the day: this is from the days of having indicator timers based on bi-metallic strips that heat up from current flow causing a relay to activate. When a lamp fails, the current load changes which causes the bi-metallic strip to heat up faster, creating a rapid indicator speed.

In modern vehicles, the indicators are flashed with an electronic circuit which doesn't suffer this problem - however, the current draw is monitored by the circuit, and when it changes (lamp failure), the electronic circuit speeds up the rate of flashing to imitate the old bi-metallic behaviour as an indication to the driver that there is a fault, as that's what people have been used to!

:lol: :lol:

It's a bit like lane changing software and automatic braking - we used to have a man walking in-front with a red flag, technology changes but then adapts "as that's what people have been used to!"

;)

Back