Better Batteries - Extended Range - New ASX PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian4x4

The driving range of the new Outlander PHEV, and the all-new model to sit between it and the ASX, will have an extended electric driving range, Mitsubishi President Mr Tetsuro Aikawa said today.

He would not be drawn on what the new range will be, but said that improvements in battery technology were behind the gains.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/62468/phev-driving-range-extended-lancer-becalmed-mitsubishi-and-fca-partnership-firming

Other web posts suggest a timescale of as early as when the new 4 wheel drive ASX PHEV launches late next year (the Outlander PHEV is due also to launch in the USA),
or 2019-20 when new longer range fully electric Mitsubishi SUVs are launched.

There is a lot of speculation around, but the quote above is straight from the horse's mouth.

Had an ASX PHEV been available I would have gone with that instead of the Outlander.

As a 2 person family, the Outlander is a bit OTT size wise, even though I love it, I'd still go for the ASX as it would suit all our needs and fit on our drive a bit better.

I'd also be able to get a higher spec model, as with the Outlander I had to opt for the GX3h.

So when my lease expires in 3 years, ASX should be there, with extended battery range!!

Some more clues to the ASX PHEV. I agree it looks interesting, but I hope they don't streamline (squash?) it too much as I like the high driving seating of these vehicles.

Also it looks as if it is a couple of years away.

According to a source close to Mitsubishi, however, it will not adopt the single-motor 1.1-litre turbocharged petrol-electric powertrain fitted to the 2013 Tokyo show's XR-PHEV Concept, which Mitsubishi followed up with the XR-PHEV II at this year's Geneva show.

Instead, it will come with a totally new twin-motor plug-in hybrid system driving all four wheels.

Reflecting results gained from exhausting global customer clinics, Mitsubishi has decided to fit the first ASX PHEV with a two-motor AWD system enhanced by an upgraded version of the Outlander’s plug-in hybrid set-up and Super All-Wheel Control (S-AWC) system, which first appeared on the Lancer Evolution in 2007.

S-AWC integrates management of its Active Centre Differential (ACD), Active Yaw Control (AYC), Active Stability Control (ASC) and Sports ABS components.

With all its hi-tech traction gizmos, our insider says we can expect handling that approaches the levels of the Lancer Evolution. A tall claim indeed.

In detail, ACD regulates the differential between free and locked states to optimise torque distribution between the front and rear axles. AYC acts like a limited-slip differential by suppressing rear-wheel slip and rerouting torque to where it’s needed most to maintain rear-end traction.

Taking one step beyond the outgoing Lancer Evo X, ASC boasts brake pressure sensors at each wheel that not only enhance braking force, but improve traction by minimising slippage under acceleration.

A newly developed 1.6-litre turbo-petrol engine will be incorporated in the ASX PHEV, but it won’t drive the car. Rather, it will act as a generator to charge the batteries.

However, don’t expect to see the high-tech ASX PHEV anytime before 2017.

Our source tells us Mitsubishi still has work to do on the dual-motor 4WD system, so the new ASX will be initially launched next year only with an upgraded version of the current 2.2-litre turbo-diesel generating a beefy 133kW of power and 430Nm of torque, with the choice of 2WD and AWD.

The ground-breaking ASX PHEV will be added to the line-up a year later.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/small-4x4/mitsubishi/asx/tokyo-motor-show-mitsubishi-asx-plugs-in-54125

According to my Mitsubishi Dealership, the ASX PHEV could be available even as soon as by the end of 2016.

BUT:
I will not bother going PHEV again, cause with the impressive key data of the E-ASX, my choice for my next vehicle is made.
I will never need a drop of petrol anymore....

That's the car I've been waiting for the last 15 years.

Please Mitsu, let the pricetag be under £50.000
and don't forget the reku paddles... they rock!

main_img05.jpg

https://youtu.be/Q_TTdc8MgV4

I have one beef about these new car's body styling and it's not just Mitsubishi, Lexus Hybrid NX and RX have it in spades!! This is the "Knight in Armour" Helmet front and visor style grill designs and straight as apposed to sloping bonnets. There was also a SiFi film where the aliens robots had similar helmets with a red LED light moving back and forth on the horizontal eye slit! My biggest concern is the safety of driving these machines in multi-story car parks and narrow streets in UK/Europe where driving space is tight and scuffing your expensive Alloy Rims on pavement kerbs is a hazard. When I took my PHEV Outlander (64 Reg) up and down one the cramped Multi-stories in Salisbury for the first time, I was horrified at how blind the straight bonnet line and high nose profile leaves you, especially when about to descend a ramp to the next lower level. It was like taking off into space only guessing where your front wheels were and as you are invariably starting the descent from turning a sharp 90 degrees it is a problem judging the turn. My previous Mk 2 Outlander and my wife's Lancer do not have this problem. The new ASX design seem worse than even the PHEV, although a shorter bonnet length might alleviate it a bit!

Yummy! I want one! (even thought the backside was obviously designed by somebody with a white stick and a Labrador! :lol:
Mitsubishi XR

deskry said:
I have one beef about these new car's body styling and it's not just Mitsubishi, Lexus Hybrid NX and RX have it in spades!! This is the "Knight in Armour" Helmet front and visor style grill designs and straight as apposed to sloping bonnets. There was also a SiFi film where the aliens robots had similar helmets with a red LED light moving back and forth on the horizontal eye slit! My biggest concern is the safety of driving these machines in multi-story car parks and narrow streets in UK/Europe where driving space is tight and scuffing your expensive Alloy Rims on pavement kerbs is a hazard. When I took my PHEV Outlander (64 Reg) up and down one the cramped Multi-stories in Salisbury for the first time, I was horrified at how blind the straight bonnet line and high nose profile leaves you, especially when about to descend a ramp to the next lower level. It was like taking off into space only guessing where your front wheels were and as you are invariably starting the descent from turning a sharp 90 degrees it is a problem judging the turn. My previous Mk 2 Outlander and my wife's Lancer do not have this problem. The new ASX design seem worse than even the PHEV, although a shorter bonnet length might alleviate it a bit!

:D Mmmmm, fully agree - I really dislike this current trend in car design! But I do speak as one who still mourns his old Landrover Defender - that was a truly beautiful car - at least when it was working. The problem I had with it was that with each new one we bought, the proportion of the time that it was working seemed to get less and the amount of time it spent in the dealer's workshop seemed to be more... The last one we had got through two gearboxes and two clutches before the warranty ran out - we decided that it probably made sense to get rid of it soon afterwards.

I love the straighter bonnets. I really enjoy actually seeing the bonnet when driving (think this stems from driving old Capri's!) and hate it when you get into a big car, and see no bonnet at all because of the slope.

Can see why it could be a problem in 'some' car parks though.

Back