Anyone else who wouldn't have a PHEV again?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ian4x4 said:
Speaking of which, (helpful that is) - How helpful do you find the dealers.
My experiences with the local salesmen have not led me to believe, that owning a Mitsubishi, may not be as pleasant as other motor dealers, I have dealt with over the years. Also it seems you are trapped, by the complexity of the PHEV, into having to use the main dealers.

In Australia, that's not a great question - Every dealer here is franchised/licensed. That is, they're owned and run by people who do not work for Mitsubishi. I'm not sure what it's like where you are.

In my case, I was shocked at the level of service. Most things were good, but two things were exceptional. The first was that when we bought the car, the sales person removed the child seat and baby capsule from our trade in, and installed them into our new car for us. He then showed us the right anchoring points and seatbelt path in case we ever had to redo it. If you didn't know almost half of child safety seats are not installed correctly.

The second was that the car had been sitting on the lot for a while (ex-demo), and the battery went flat the next morning. I called up roadside assist, who said they hadn't received any paperwork from the dealer, and so couldn't help me. I called up the dealer before opening hours, and left a voice mail. After 5 minutes, he called back, apologising, and saying he'd directly called up roadside assist. We got a priority call out because we had kids (even though we were in our driveway at home!), he then offered to do an battery swap that day. We took him up on the offer. When he found out the service department's battery was flat too, he gave us a brand new petrol Outlander, and told us to keep it until he sorted the issue. He then drove to our home to swap cars back over.

The second case was especially was well above and beyond. Heartland motors in Castle Hill, Sydney, has definitely earned my loyalty for that.

Would I have an Outlander PHEV again? Depends on the tax benefit and also how it develops in terms of battery range, MMCS and gains an EV button.

I had a SWB Shogun Warrior, 7 years old and calculated that with the reduction in servicing, road tax and fuel costs and the full tax write off in year one, I could have the PHEV for the same outgoings as keeping the Shogun for 3 years. I also liked the idea of local journeys being made on battery.

- Cost savings
- Good Dealer for Servicing/Support (Border Cars in Carlisle - see other posts)

Dislikes
- Engine running all the way to work (3 miles) because the heater is on.
- Engine screaming on hills
- Warning bongs for everything! Cold morning - switch car on to get heater going - get out to scrape windscreen, door open bong - close door - keys not in car bong - (I silenced all the other warnings I could). - and yes I could do preheat and all that stuff - or they could just give you a switch for all the warnings.
- The fact I used to look forward to long trips - especially to more remote areas - now I don't

I have recently considered what I would do if I could go back and make the choice again with the benefit of hindsight and 17k miles of PHEV driving. In the summer, I'd maybe buy the PHEV again, in the winter, I'd love my Shogun back as the PHEV is just really irritating to live with.

Ideally then, an old Shogn SWB (or other large Diesel 4x4) for winter/long trips and a BMW i3 for getting to work and back.

anko said:
greendwarf said:
But to be really pedantic what anko actually responded to that he didn't have was "the screaming up hills" - of course not, in Holland :lol:
I can beat you in this game (for now). I did not say "I don't have that", which would refer to the screaming up hills. I said: "I don't have one", referring to a CVT ;)

BTW: Have you see my reports of my caravan towing tests, where I dragged my caravan over 17% slopes? Believe me, we have hills (although not very high, they can be steep enough) and we can have some screaming up hills too, if we want to.

Hmm - I think you'll lose this eventually to an ex-grammar school boy like me. :twisted: As your comment immediately followed the "hills" quote, it must logically indicate that you don't have one hill (quite possible in the polder areas - similar to Canvey Island in Essex but that is another story :roll: ) However, to be even more pedantic, I accept that you must have meant that you have more than one hill. :lol:

ian4x4 said:
Thanks to those who are answering the original topic question.
These answers are proving very helpful to me, in understanding the why, and how, of ownership.

Hear hear - perhaps the pedants can take a hint and take their discussion to another thread!! :)

ian4x4 said:
Thanks to those who are answering the original topic question.
These answers are proving very helpful to me, in understanding the why, and how, of ownership.
Speaking of which, (helpful that is) - How helpful do you find the dealers.
My experiences with the local salesmen have not led me to believe, that owning a Mitsubishi, may not be as pleasant as other motor dealers, I have dealt with over the years. Also it seems you are trapped, by the complexity of the PHEV, into having to use the main dealers.

I've used both dealers in Sarf Lundun but have been disappointed especially by the careless attitude to customer service but as others have commented you are rather "trapped" into having to use them. :cry:

greendwarf said:
Hmm - I think you'll lose this eventually to an ex-grammar school boy like me. :twisted: As your comment immediately followed the "hills" quote, it must logically indicate that you don't have one hill (quite possible in the polder areas - similar to Canvey Island in Essex but that is another story :roll: ) However, to be even more pedantic, I accept that you must have meant that you have more than one hill. :lol:
Hmmm, reducing quotes to what serves your purpose, is that what they tought in grammar schools in your days? ;) But to wrap it up, I meant to say my car does not have one light :lol:

greendwarf said:
anko said:
greendwarf said:
But to be really pedantic what anko actually responded to that he didn't have was "the screaming up hills" - of course not, in Holland :lol:
I can beat you in this game (for now). I did not say "I don't have that", which would refer to the screaming up hills. I said: "I don't have one", referring to a CVT ;)

BTW: Have you see my reports of my caravan towing tests, where I dragged my caravan over 17% slopes? Believe me, we have hills (although not very high, they can be steep enough) and we can have some screaming up hills too, if we want to.

You shouldn't believe cliches... :mrgreen: This is our country as well...

Schleplift.jpg

Sunder said:
Why do you have ski lifts on flat ground??

Well obviously, they have to be towed around on their skis because the ground is too flat to ski on. :D

Please note: the above is a joke, and it carefully ignores the concept of cross-country skiing (lang loffing) (which I have done)

Andy

PS. That looks like a t-bar or pommel ride to me, not a ski-lift.

AndyInOz said:
Sunder said:
Why do you have ski lifts on flat ground??

Well obviously, they have to be towed around on their skis because the ground is too flat to ski on. :D

Please note: the above is a joke, and it carefully ignores the concept of cross-country skiing (lang loffing) (which I have done)

Andy

PS. That looks like a t-bar or pommel ride to me, not a ski-lift.

Haha. I have skied once in my life and decided it was not for me. I know even less about skiing, and my first post was a joke. It's obviously a small incline, but nothing compared to some of the ski fields in Japan/Colorado, or even Australian Ski fields, which are considered very tame.

Off to Alta Badia coming Saturday :) :) Maybe not that challenging, but with 1250 Km of runs and 460 lifts to choose from I'm sure I'll find something to my taste - at least, I have for the last twenty years.. :mrgreen:

so... given the responses (and all the tangents) to the original question, if money was no issue what would you go for next if not an outlander PHEV? for me, i'd wait for the tesla x and give that a go.

Phever said:
so... given the responses (and all the tangents) to the original question, if money was no issue what would you go for next if not an outlander PHEV? for me, i'd wait for the tesla x and give that a go.

If money were not an issue, I might well have another PHEV! I do really quite like it and if I could regard it as almost disposable I would be happy to have another. It's only if I have to justify the purchase in financial terms that some of the alternatives begin to look attractive....

There's no way I would have a pure EV at the moment - at any price - and I can't see that changing in the remainder of my driving life.

Phever said:

A "Twisted" Land Rover Defender v8 ; Range Rover Supercharged (previous model + LPG coversion); Porsche 911 Turbo (993 RUF 500bhp conversion) and BMW i3

jaapv said:
Off to Alta Badia coming Saturday :) :) Maybe not that challenging, but with 1250 Km of runs and 460 lifts to choose from I'm sure I'll find something to my taste - at least, I have for the last twenty years.. :mrgreen:

Mmmm... :roll:

The 1250 km of runs in DolomitiSuperski are not all connected.
The 600 km of runs in 3Vallées are all connected. Same thing in the Portes du Soleil, another great ski area ... and I don't speak about Tignes/Val d'Isère :cool:

Anyway : even the 3Valleys' runs are too numerous for just a week !

Have fun in Alta Badia :)

Phever said:

If money was no issue :?: - it was, still is & always will be a 1967 Ford Mustang convertible in black or red - even if I never actually drove it anywhere :eek:

The reason I chose the car (MY2016) are:

1. fiscal benefits (this car costs me € 400,- less than my previous Volvo V70);
2. it's got everything I need (space, power, boot, ability to tow);
3. it's not near as ugly as the old model :lol:
4. alternative Plugin hybrids (Passat GTE, BENZ C350E) could not be delivered anymore in 2015, so there was no competition.

I cannot answer the question whether I would have a PHEV again. Right now, I think that the choice I have made, is the right one. I'm happy with it and ít's not perfect, but nothing is really.

I will choose the Outlander PHEV (or the new version) again in 2020, if:

1. Electric range is increased substantially (> 100 miles);
2. The car can be forced into pure EV mode;
3. Mitsubishi dealers are nice to me (for example: free update of the already outdated maps);
4. There are no better alternatives :).
5. Parking sensors are less sensitive: they make you stop well before you are close to a wall. 10 cm is enough space before beeping is continues.

Pancake said:
Parking sensors are less sensitive: they make you stop well before you are close to a wall. 10 cm is enough space before beeping is continues.

Whilst I agree about them being currently too conservative, I think it is set to allow the tailgate space to open if up against a vertical obstruction.

Back