ICE running unnecessarily?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anko said:
I think I mentioned this before: there is a difference between an 'idling' engine in Charge mode (car decides) and an engine 'idling' after being started up by a mechanic for maintenance / diagnostic purposes (throttle decides). I think an engine started up for heating behaves like the second.

Nice one - looked in the Technical Manual and it states that the SOC needs to be below 60% before engine can be revved. Tried it today, at various states of charge with no success, then once it got down to 6 bars on the MMCS it revved.

So thanks Anko, you have put me out of my misery.

Not exactly what I had in mind, but ... You are welcome :mrgreen:

Does that support my finding that with higher SOC the barge current is lower and thus the engine runs less efficiently? :idea:

Was this both when running in Charge more and running upon 'engineer start request for heating purposes'?

anko said:
Not exactly what I had in mind, but ... You are welcome :mrgreen:

Does that support my finding that with higher SOC the barge current is lower and thus the engine runs less efficiently? :idea:

Was this both when running in Charge more and running upon 'engineer start request for heating purposes'?

The charge current will always be lower at a higher SOC. To the point where it will stop charging completely at 86% (in the UK version anyway).

I tried it straight after driving, at 7 bars there was nothing, as soon as it dropped to 6, I pulled over put on the parking brake and it revved. I drove a mile or so home & parked on the drive - turned the heating up to full, turned the car off. Left it for a minute, turned back on, engine started, engine revved. Switched off heating, engine stopped - pressed charge, engine started and revved again. Put the car on charge, went back and tried 30 mins later, but there were 8 bars showing so no longer able to rev engine.

This means that an engineer would have to take your car on quite a long drive to deplete the battery or leave the air con / heater running for quite a long time if he needed to access this feature, if, of course, you delivered it to the dealer with a near full SOC.

I have a different experience on the last hot day. EV monitoring picked up no additional generator power in CHARGE mode, but the ICE was able to be revved to above 3000rpm. Battery was up to at least 10 bars. Petrol is under $1 per Litre at the moment, so it is cheaper for me to maintain battery level with the ICE. We can recharge with ICE to full battery in AUS.

gwatpe said:
Petrol is under $1 per Litre at the moment, so it is cheaper for me to maintain battery level with the ICE.

Under AUS$1 = 49p GBP, 63c Euro :eek: but you do have to drive 100 miles just to fill up :lol:

Back