Having problems with the Phev? How to fix them.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Hi fellow Phevers

Ok I have been away for awhile but I see some members are having some problems with the phev. These include mostly newer members but some names I have seen here from the earlier days. Some posts that I have just seen are quite blatantly hateful against the Phev or Mitsubishi.

But I will now try to help you, if you will let me, solve these problems in a totally rational way.

On discovering what you think is a problem or fault :

1. Do not panic or chuck a wobbly. It does nothing to help and can be harmful to your personal health or even your financial health. ie do not do anything rash while you are upset.
2. Think hard about what the problem is. Is it user error ie solved by reading the owners manual or by even doing searches or asking questions on a forum such as here or anywhere else on the world wide web. Is it a genuine fault?
3. Remember all our Phevs should still be under warranty. That is a fantastic advantage in our favor ie see your dealer and if still not happy see another dealer. This has always worked for me in problem solving a car.
4. Sometimes machines (or parts) fail even when new and no company that produces equipment is perfect but see 3. above.

Now if you have tried all of above and are still unhappy you still have a choice.

Sell and probably lose money by doing so. That is your choice. But remember there are people that are happy with their choice of the Phev . Try not to spoil it for them as well.

But I implore you to give the Phev and yourself a chance. You never know you might end up liking each other. :)

Regards Trex.

I assume I am one of those referred to ;)
Well if somebody would tell me how to solve the steaming up WITHOUT wasting electrical or ICE energy, I just might learn to love it. (see 'Steamed up, the car & me )
To be fair, it is a smashing drive and a good looking car.

Everybody says turn the heater on including my Dealer who seems reluctant to take up the problem with Mitsubishi. Apparently the oil burners don't do it so why should the PHEV?
To my mind and that of Claymore, it defeats the object of having what is sold as an economical car if you have to waste fuel of one sort or another to correct something that should not occur in the first place.
Oh yes, and as previously stated the App does NOT WORK, even the Dealer gave up after 30 minutes, though he has offered to try again. There is one spurious 'phone connected, a Galaxy4 , presumably belonging to the Mitsubishi manager before I bought it. It says you can connect 2 'phones, but may the other 'phone be interfering with both my Sony android 'phone and Samsung android tablet, neither of which will connect.

Carnut said:
I assume I am one of those referred to ;)
Well if somebody would tell me how to solve the steaming up WITHOUT wasting electrical or ICE energy, I just might learn to love it. (see 'Steamed up, the car & me )

Everybody says turn the heater on including my Dealer who seems reluctant to take up the problem with Mitsubishi. Apparently the oil burners don't do it so why should the PHEV?

Are you seriously saying that you would drive any conventional car all winter with the heating and aircon turned off? I'm reasonably confident that you would suffer from condensation in them too.

Note Carnut's strapline:-

Weird sense of humour alert!
All contentious comments should be taken as written 'tongue in cheek' & with a pinch of salt!

It could just be a wind-up :oops:

greendwarf said:
Note Carnut's strapline:-

Weird sense of humour alert!
All contentious comments should be taken as written 'tongue in cheek' & with a pinch of salt!

It could just be a wind-up :oops:

In fairness, there are those around here that seem to be willing to pay £35k for a car and use it as if there was no heating or AC fitted!

I am still a bit lost on 'humidgate' why Carnut doesn't preheat (or pre-demist as there is a setting for that instead) using the timer set for some time in the morning, say 20 minutes at 7am, at least until you can get the app issue sorted. Whilst its still plugged in the majority of the power will come from the charger, probably about 2p worth. I don't think 14p a week destroys the PHEV's eco credibility too much does it?

If a 20 minute warm up doesn't fully dry it off then there is definately something wrong with the car, or you drive through a 4 foot river daily, or you exhale extraordinary amounts of vapour! hopefully non of these.

BobEngineer said:
I...

If a 20 minute warm up doesn't fully dry it off then there is definately something wrong with the car, or you drive through a 4 foot river daily, or you exhale extraordinary amounts of vapour! hopefully non of these.

If you repeatedly use the vehicle for long journeys without heating or AC, the problem is going to be cumulative. You will bring dampness into it on wet clothes and shoes and you'll add to that with your breath and sweat. Without heating and dehumidification that is going to build up in the car - get into the carpets and upholstery. The boat is just a more extreme example - in the winter we leave the dehumidifier running all the time - even during the week when we are away - if not, we arrive to find the bedding and furnishings damp and it takes ages for them to dry out. With the dehumidifier ticking over all the time, it's dry and smells sweet.

maby said:
BobEngineer said:
I...

If you repeatedly use the vehicle for long journeys without heating or AC, the problem is going to be cumulative. You will bring dampness into it on wet clothes and shoes and you'll add to that with your breath and sweat. Without heating and dehumidification that is going to build up in the car - get into the carpets and upholstery. The boat is just a more extreme example - in the winter we leave the dehumidifier running all the time - even during the week when we are away - if not, we arrive to find the bedding and furnishings damp and it takes ages for them to dry out. With the dehumidifier ticking over all the time, it's dry and smells sweet.
Would it perhaps make a difference that your boat is in the water? My caravan is in a non heated winter storage from end of October to beginning of May without a dehumidifier and without any moist problems.

anko said:
maby said:
BobEngineer said:
I...

Would it perhaps make a difference that your boat is in the water? My caravan is in a non heated winter storage from end of October to beginning of May without a dehumidifier and without any moist problems.

The difference is more likely that our boat is in regular use all the year round - I'm sitting in it now as I type. My wife and I have been here all day, working, breathing, making tea and coffee and will be cooking a meal shortly. If your caravan was reasonably dry when it was shut up in October and is reasonably well sealed, there is no reason for it to get damp, but if you went to it this weekend and stayed there for two or three days with no heating, I'm reasonably confident you would have condensation on the windows by the time you left. It's pretty much the same for a car - OK, you don't cook in it, but we all emit quite a lot of moisture in our breath. Get in on a rainy day with a damp jacket and damp shoes - more water to get into the carpet, roof linings and seats.

Carnut said:
I assume I am one of those referred to ;) .

Ah grasshopper, oops I mean I mean Carnut, never "assume" anything. Something about it makes an ass (out of) u (and) me. :lol: Hows that for weird sense of humour. ;) Yep I saw your signature there.

Carnut said:
Ok it looks like we have "nearly" brought you over to the "dark" side. :D
Carnut said:

To my mind and that of Claymore, it defeats the object of having what is sold as an economical car if you have to waste fuel of one sort or another to correct something that should not occur in the first place.
Oh yes, and as previously stated the App does NOT WORK, even the Dealer gave up after 30 minutes, though he has offered to try again. There is one spurious 'phone connected, a Galaxy4 , presumably belonging to the Mitsubishi manager before I bought it. It says you can connect 2 'phones, but may the other 'phone be interfering with both my Sony android 'phone and Samsung android tablet, neither of which will connect.

Ok now to the gist of the so called "problem" or "problems". They being condensation and a phone, Mitsubishi app connection error.

Hardly something to go complaining to Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) about yet. :roll:

This is definitely something your dealer should be able to handle. Please read my point number 3. again which states:

3. Remember all our Phevs should still be under warranty. That is a fantastic advantage in our favor ie see your dealer and if still not happy see another dealer. This has always worked for me in problem solving a car.

Note the "and if still not happy see another dealer." I have found it can make a big difference.

But I notice you wrote : "though he has offered to try again". I would probably give him one more chance then if not happy go elsewhere.

They in my opinion should be very easy problems to fix. But do not get me wrong. You may have a genuine fault (see my point 4.) but should not be a dealbreaker at this point in time.

Good luck and hope to see you falling in love with the Phev. I have.

But then again I maybe saying this with my 'tongue in cheek' and you should take my advice with a "with a pinch of salt!" ;)

NO NOT a wind up. Only thing that was going up was my blood pressure.
My nice Mitsubishi Sales Manager, thinks I may not have had a sufficiently in depth handover and has offered me a 90 minute teach in next week. which I have accepted. Because, for all my moaning, I do like the car, I think it is brill drive and I love it. It is all the niggles that are pi$$ing me off. If I can get those sorted I shall be a happy PHEV-er.
Apparently it is MY 'phone that is the problem with the APP not working.
Has anyone out there got a SONY XPERIA C1905 ? If so have you managed to connect it? .
If so PLEASE let me know how you managed it.
Cheers.

Carnut said:
It is all the niggles that are pi$$ing me off.

Dear Mitsubishi, I have turned off the heater and the demister and my car isn't heating and demisting, can you assist6?

Dear User, stop fighting the car and let the heater and demister do their jobs.

By the way Carnut,

I notice that you haven't responded to this post: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25015#p25015

Where I have started walking you through the process of connecting remotely...

I won't be able to assist if you don't respond.

Andy

I am looking for some old information in my old posts and found this. It may be able to help others now.

Does anyone else around here remember Carnut? Those were the days. :lol:

Back