An Idiots Guide to using the Remote Heating option

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjb

I want to use the remote heating option on a ad hoc basis regarding the times and days. eg If i`m leaving in half an hour can i just set the heater instantly 20 minutes before i wish to leave.

Can someone please advise the simplest way of achieving this.

Many thanks in advance

Worth a look;

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2278

I use a 32 amp fitted ChargePoint (although the draws 16 amps max) and have charge timers set between midnight and 0700 in order to charge at the UK 'economy 7' rate.

Outside those times if I try to preheat using the phone app the car will heat but will draw power only from the car's drive battery.

So I first use the app to cancel the charge timer (that operation is on the app's opening screen) then hit the Climate ON/Off icon (also on the opening screen) and I hear the 'clunk' as the charger energise in the garage below the room I'm in.

EDIT: If you leave the preheat running it will stop automatically as soon as you open the car door although you can obviously stop it by using the climate control on/off on the remote app.

I think you should first select the 'mode' of climate control you want in the Climate Timer settings although due to the irregular times of my departures I don't use those timers.

If you set the Climate Control Timers to operate within the periods that the Charging Timer is set I can't see any reason why the car wouldn't take power from the grid when the Climate Control is running but I can't verify that.

JimB

Thanks for the reply Claymore.

I seem to get the clunk ,when activating the mobile but when i get into the vehicle 20 mins later the car is still cold ???

That's odd. If you go to the 'Timer' tab (at the bottom), then 'Climate control', under 'Mode' does it say 'cool' 'heat' or 'demist'?

I'm not sure if you really need to do this but it seems logical, I did it and my car warms up - in the app, go into the Climate Timer settings and select the 'mode' of climate control you want, you pick from cooling, heating and demisting. Obviously you want heating.

Do not activate any of the Climate Timers.

The other thing that there is some disagreement on here is whether the preheater will override the temperature settings in the car. My view is that it doesn't so if you have the heater set to the minimum of 15 degrees the preheater will heat to 15 which doesn't feel very warm if the ambient temperature is around 10 degrees for example.

I have mine set to 21 degrees and although the heater is off by default when I leave (and therefore when I get back in) the preheat seems to go for the 21.

I did try leaving it at 15 when there was some discussion about this but I was sure the car was a lot cooler as a result.

At the moment I can't think of anything else that might be an issue.

JimB

Problem sorted...............Thankyou Claymore and JDSX for your input.

Had heater settings at 15 degrees on default...............raised the settings as you suggested and bingo we have heat.???

Many thanks

Well, something's different in mine then. Even if I leave the heating completely off, using the app to pre-heat gives me a VERY hot car to get into. And if I leave it on when I switch off, it definitely makes no difference wherever I've left the temperature set. (As far as I can tell).

What I was trying to say was that my perception is that the preheat uses the last set temperature on the car's console as its target temperature. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the car is shut down with the heater active or inactive.

I haven't done any testing of whether the temperature target on preheat is whatever the heater is set at other than the one time I left it at 15 instead of 21 and the car was a lot cooler than usual although the preheater had clearly been operating, and for about 20 minutes on that occasion.

Anyway one way or another it looks like were all getting some heat.

JimB

tjb said:

Had heater settings at 15 degrees on default...............raised the settings as you suggested and bingo we have heat.???

Many thanks
Well that's odd because I always leave the heater on 15 degrees (switched off) and my car is toasty after 15 minutes or so

jdsx said:
tjb said:

Many thanks
Well that's odd because I always leave the heater on 15 degrees (switched off) and my car is toasty after 15 minutes or so
Same procedure there: set temperature to 15 and then turn off the fan by hitting the Off button. I do this every time I leave the car. Via an OBDII scanner I can see the interior temperature. I've seen values of 35 deg C after a pre heat of 30 minutes.

I raised this with Mitsu UK and after 10 days and a reminder received a reply (I think he guy out the back they usually ask was on holiday ;) );

".....The pre-heat function will heat the vehicle on full power for the time specified on the app........"

Just in case anyone else was still harbouring doubts.

JimB

Hi,

I have just ordered a PHEV and have been puzzled by the remote heating app. The demo of it I saw showed you can set it to turn on the heating for times and dates but I would just want to turn the heating on 15 mins before I leave. As this varies evry day is that easy to do?

Hi, peterafife,

Yes, you go to the timer screen, set whether you want heat, cool or demist, and for how long, but don't set any timers. Then at the main screen just hit "Climate on/off" whenever you want it to start. You then only have to use the "Climate on/off" button in the future to turn it on as required.

That's great. Looking forward to getting it in March. hope its nice and cold so I can try it out!
Anyone experienced 4 wheel drive on snow in it. I have changed from a Santa Fe and hope the traction in this is as good!

Peter

peterafife said:
That's great. Looking forward to getting it in March. hope its nice and cold so I can try it out!
Anyone experienced 4 wheel drive on snow in it. I have changed from a Santa Fe and hope the traction in this is as good!

Peter

Yes, last February on a blizzard hit autoroute in the Alps - left the locals stranded in my wake as I powered up a steep snow & ice covered hill - but I also had winter tyres. No problems other than having to get past the stuck Frogs who didn't seem to think you need chains or winter tyres in winter :oops: However, as never had either 4WD or winter tyres before I can't compare like for like.

peterafife said:

Peter
Search the forum; plenty of positive reports. Fit winter tyres and have fun.

Today an observation regarding pre-heating:-

My normal morning is pre-heating ON at 8:10 (by timer) and set off about 8:30, in a nice warm car.

This morning I had to drop my wife off earlier about 15 miles away, which meant i arrived home at about 8:00 with a flat battery.

Thought I would just boost the charge with what I could in the 30 mins before I left for work at 8:30, so connected charge cable and got a coffee.

At 8:30 got into a scorching hot car, with no additional charge showing (not sure how much I would have seen with 30 mins at 16A though)! It was so warm as soon as I turned car on the AC cut in to try and cool the car down to my set 21 degC!

I always have climate control set to 21degC, but the car was clearly a lot warmer than that when i got in.

Obviously I had arrived home from dropping off my wife, and car was already hot, and interior was at 21 degC.

I plugging the car in to charge, but that was over ridden when the pre-heating timer kicked in, which then continued to heat the car well over the 21 degC set temperature.

Exactly what happened i cant say, other than it seems the heater just heats at Maximum for duration of setting time!

Peter

g0rsq said:
Exactly what happened i cant say, other than it seems the heater just heats at Maximum for duration of setting time!

Peter

Which seems to confirm what Mitsu told Claymore:
Claymore said:
".....The pre-heat function will heat the vehicle on full power for the time specified on the app........"

Also agrees with the state that my second-hand PHEV was getting into when it was following the previous owner's pre-heating schedule...

I only discovered this was going on (after wondering where all the electricity was going) because I got into the car one evening to retrieve the manual.

The interior was hotter than a sauna!!!

My first thought was that something had failed, and the car was on fire.

(Imagine the effect of running the heater at full power during a hot Australian evening...)

:)

Andy

Back