Anyone else who WOULD have a Mitsubishi Phev again?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trex said:
maby said:
Most of this is a criticism of the entry-level model - the GX4h addresses it

Ok they buy a stripped down and cheaper version of the Phev and then complain about the lack of features they did not want to buy. :?

The only complaint I've got about my 2014 white Gx3h, is that I couldn't have it in red (unlike the diesel) and, yes, I would have paid the extra. Now in 2016 you can have red! :twisted:

greendwarf said:
Trex said:
maby said:
Most of this is a criticism of the entry-level model - the GX4h addresses it

Ok they buy a stripped down and cheaper version of the Phev and then complain about the lack of features they did not want to buy. :?

The only complaint I've got about my 2014 white Gx3h, is that I couldn't have it in red (unlike the diesel) and, yes, I would have paid the extra. Now in 2016 you can have red! :twisted:

Perfect excuse to get the new one. Go on, you know you want it . ;) I can here it calling you from over here. :)

anko said:
Bilbo59 said:
Imagine if the car had been designed in such a way it didn't need defending!!!!! :)
I believe It is not the cars fault. I believe it is the fault of the tax benefits. No all, but many PHEVs were bought by people that would have never visited a Mitsubishi dealer if it hadn't been for the tax brakes. And now they have traded their Range Rovers, Mercs, BMWs and Audis for Outlanders and cashed in on the savings, they blame their Outlanders for not being a Range Rover, Merc, BMW or Audi.

Anko, get your facts right before making sweeping statements. I had a MITSUBISHI Shogun for 7 years before buying the Outlander, not a range Rover or Merc. The discussions on this forum alone would suggest that the design is not all it could be. Sticky buttons, pre-heat so the engine doesn't fire up on the cold, not using the heater in a £30k + car, workround after workround, etc etc etc.

Trex, not sure why me selling the car would make you happy. I had 7 years with the Shogun and never "bitched" about it. It was/is a brilliant car. Some owners are not happy with the design compromises for the price paid for the PHEV. You can defend it all you like but I don't hear people criticizing you for being happy with it so perhaps you would show the same courtesy to those who aren't. A forum is about different viewpoints and open discussion. Getting everyone who isn't happy with the car to sell it may may make the forum a more comfortable place for you but I suggest it probably isn't a feasible solution.

This is new technology. You cannot compare the PHEV with a previous ICE car in either the price range, the BIK or the trim level. You have to remember you are sitting in a car that is equipped to kill people who try to work on it, whether it be in a non dealer service, a recovery, an accident etc.

It doesn't just have an engine, it also has a very sophisticated drive battery pack and electronics (money you don't expect to spend on an ICE, so it has to come from somewhere - maybe at the expense of your usual creature comforts!). You move from the world of understanding everything, when you own an ICE car, to learning about everything in a PHEV. Someday (but probably for just a short time in history), this will become the norm, until then, either go back to following the main crowd (where it is of course more comfortable), or put up with the misgivings of a new way of driving for a short period (in our lifetimes) to promote to the world that the public are prepared to do something to change our reliance on non renewables - and help them in achieving their Kyoto & Paris summit targets. IF THEY HELP US TOO! :eek:

Bilbo59 said:
anko said:
Bilbo59 said:
Imagine if the car had been designed in such a way it didn't need defending!!!!! :)
I believe It is not the cars fault. I believe it is the fault of the tax benefits. No all, but many PHEVs were bought by people that would have never visited a Mitsubishi dealer if it hadn't been for the tax brakes. And now they have traded their Range Rovers, Mercs, BMWs and Audis for Outlanders and cashed in on the savings, they blame their Outlanders for not being a Range Rover, Merc, BMW or Audi.

Anko, get your facts right before making sweeping statements. I had a MITSUBISHI Shogun for 7 years before buying the Outlander, not a range Rover or Merc. The discussions on this forum alone would suggest that the design is not all it could be. Sticky buttons, pre-heat so the engine doesn't fire up on the cold, not using the heater in a £30k + car, workround after workround, etc etc etc.
Relax. I was not sharing facts, I was expressing "my believes". Explicitly wrote "I believe" twice. I think it is allowed to share my believe? Also, I have not been referring to you in any way. I just said "Not all, but many ...".

For sure the design is not all it could be. But that applies to any car money can buy. As for the workarounds:
- Sticky Save button is considered a workaround predominantly by gwatpe and maybe Maby and one or two others. Most of us don't care about it and I even believe it even goes against the design of the car. With all due respect, not really a workaround for a design flaw, I would say.
- Indeed, EV range and fuel economy are to a certain extend impacted by use of the heater. And if you do not want that, you have to turn the heater off. Can you name one (PH)EV car for which this is not the case?

I do agree, I would love to have an EV Only button, mostly in relation to use of the heater. But is this a good enough reason for starting a thread with the purpose of collecting reasons for never wanting to own a PHEV again?

If people would look at the price tag of a normal Petrol Outlander and realise that the difference is spent on EV components that their previous cars didn't have, I think people would be less dissatisfied. Or would have decided not to buy it, because you cannot expect to buy a premium SUV at the price of a standard Outlander.

Bilbo59 said:
Trex, not sure why me selling the car would make you happy.
Hey I am already very happy with the Phev. Just trying to find a way of making you happy. :cool:
That's just me. Trying to help others solve their problems. Nice of me, I know. :D
Bilbo59 said:
I had 7 years with the Shogun and never "bitched" about it. It was/is a brilliant car.
Ah the Mitsubishi Shogun or Pajero as we call it over here. Still own one. A diesel, auto transmission. Had it for 9 years.
Use it mainly for towing duties and my youngest son who has just got his provisional license now drives it. Has only approx. 49000kms on it and still on its first set of tyres. In perfect condition. Am I making you drool yet. :)
Bilbo59 said:
Some owners are not happy with the design compromises for the price paid for the PHEV.
Well maybe they should sell before they lose too much money on it and I mean that sincerely. I want people to be happy. :D
Bilbo59 said:
You can defend it all you like but I don't hear people criticizing you for being happy with it so perhaps you would show the same courtesy to those who aren't.
Bring it on. I am big enough and ugly enough to handle them. :twisted: Tried that courtesy stuff. They still whinge. :lol:
Bilbo59 said:
Getting everyone who isn't happy with the car to sell it may may make the forum a more comfortable place for you but I suggest it probably isn't a feasible solution.
I will say (write) it again. Its not about me. I am very happy with my decision to purchase the Phev. I am trying to make others that are not happy with their decision to purchase the Phev happy.

But anyway I do hope that it all works out well for you in the long run. I mean that sincerely. :)
My wife disliked the Phev for sometime and she missed her old car ( a Prius). But now she loves it and says she wouldn't go back. Perhaps you need to give the Phev time to grow on you.

Trex, will you be participating in the Grape Stomping Championships in Wauchope next Sunday?

http://www.sydney.com/uk/events/grape-stomping-championships

Wish I could be there, looks like a fantastic place to live!

Maybe organise a PHEV group trip for next year.

Stay happy!

:)

JimB

Claymore said:
Trex, will you be participating in the Grape Stomping Championships in Wauchope next Sunday?

Just trying to stay happy!

JimB

Hi JimB,
No cannot make it grape stomping next Sunday. :lol: Already committed to teach some of the friends of my sons,
that are having trouble learning, how to surf.

Yep not a bad place to live. :lol: (aussie sarcasm)

Best way to stay happy is keep away from CVT threads. :lol:

Just been playing with numbers on against the future company car tax rates.

My conclusion is I doubt I will be buying a PHEV to replace mine early 2019, in fact I am glad I am already a year in. By then the rate will be 16% so not too far behind a normal vehicle but it has rather large list price against it.

Its shocking how they are doubling the rates at the bottom every two years now, you can't go any further down the table, even zero CO2 cars are getting hit the same, with their huge list prices those Teslas are going to become quite expensive!

As you can't go down the CO2 to save money the only option is to go lower in list price.

Trex said:
Claymore said:

Just trying to stay happy!

JimB

Hi JimB,
No cannot make it grape stomping next Sunday. :lol: Already committed to teach some of the friends of my sons,
that are having trouble learning, how to surf.

Yep not a bad place to live. :lol: (aussie sarcasm)

Best way to stay happy is keep away from CVT threads. :lol:

+1 - described as biggest playground in the world on TV in UK yesterday - mind you I prefer Victoria to NSW :D

Back