Let's go pure EV...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zzcoopej said:
1. Brake lights come on in lower "B1-5" settings.
A bit off topic, but this morning, on my way to work, the same guy was driving behind me for 10 km or so. There were three or four roundabouts that I "did" in B5, so without break lights. All was fine, the guy kept his distance. Then there was an intersection with a red light. I slowed down and so did he. And just after I hit the brake pedal (last few meters) and my brake lights came on, he hit me :roll:

His foot slipped off the brake pedal, he said :( Fortunately hardly any damage. May need to replace to cover for the detachable tow bar. :p

anko said:
zzcoopej said:
1. Brake lights come on in lower "B1-5" settings.
A bit off topic, but this morning, on my way to work, the same guy was driving behind me for 10 km or so. There were three or four roundabouts that I "did" in B5, so without break lights. All was fine, the guy kept his distance. Then there was an intersection with a red light. I slowed down and so did he. And just after I hit the brake pedal (last few meters) and my brake lights came on, he hit me :roll:

His foot slipped off the brake pedal, he said :( Fortunately hardly any damage. May need to replace to cover for the detachable tow bar. :p
Which will cost about 200 Euro - the dealer will charge the insurance 340 Euro.

Carnut said:
I can't see the video either. It says sign in but sign in with what? Youtube or PHEV forum There is no clue.

Hi Carnut,

The YouTube video is private, the only way to view it is for the owner to set it as a public video.

(I'm a closet YouTuber)

So, to confirm:
It is a software rather than hardware based modification?
It enables EV-only running by pressing "ECO"
It bumps the E-motor only power output cap up from 60kW to 70kW.

Sounds good

Very nice original video.

Somehow cockpit screen texts and outside landscapes seem familiar to me.

It looks like VTechTuning has something to do with Poland. :)

Way to go! If you are in the vicinity, just give me a call.
I would love to see how you managed it.

Pozdrowienia!

simonrh said:
So, to confirm:
It is a software rather than hardware based modification?
It enables EV-only running by pressing "ECO"
It bumps the E-motor only power output cap up from 60kW to 70kW.

Sounds good

For PolishPilot: "It looks like VTechTuning has something to do with Poland"

Wow, U R so brilliant :) Pozdrawiam z Krakowa :) (for English spoken - this is rare foreign language. "Pozdrawiam" means - "Who the hell" and "z Krakowa" - is to be translated to: "are you?"). ;)

At first - sorry for silence. Something strange happen to me, seems to be solved (or goin' to be solved).

Simonrh - yep, it is just PHEV ECU reflash. I tested even 80 kW but it seems not a good idea as the voltage at battery starts to drop, so it surges too much. Also this mod enables additional capacity of battery to be used, so gasoline engine will start at 13% of real capacity of battery ( I do now about 60-65 km on battery, depends on temperature/heating). I have tested also full block of gasoline (never starts) - car has a protection mechanism (factory, hard coded, not mine), that activates below 21% of capacity of battery and reduces max current as:

%_of_70kwh_permitted = 70kwh * (actual_state_of_charge - 13)/8

...so this stops the car (really, just stops it) at 13% of charge, but you can feel power drop arising below 20% of charge. It is clearly visible at power gauge at dashboard.

It looks good. Protects battery from damage, gives you clear signal, that there is no more power. In my mod I can set any % state of charge to be a moment that starts gasoline engine (or even block it) but I have still one issue - if gasoline engine is started, it works until state of charge is a factory minimal (about 30%). So when it starts - it works quite long (of course if mod permits it). If mod does not permit it, you will just be stopped and must press ECO button to switch to normal mode to start gasoline engine - and then it will run until factory minimal state of charge OR until you press ECO again (and block gasoline engine).

Now I upload video that explains switching between ECO MODE (no gasoline engine at all, 70kW power) and NORMAL (standard behaviour).
The only problem I found is that I cannot block start of gasoline engine, when it is cold, because car always starts in NORMAL mode. If I switch off AC panel off, and start car, and switch to ECO MODE, then start AC panel (with any temperature) - it is ok. But if not - gasoline engine will jump on.
I tried to re-configure car to start with ECO MODE as default, but until now I failed. I can re-configure NORMAL mode to be pure EV mode, but it is kinda stupid to switch ECO MODE to permit gasoline engine to run - isn't it?

https://youtu.be/K_iwy5KvJMc

Sorry for shitty video, but village roads are not good for such acceleration PHEV has. Tommorow evening after work I will try to do same at highway with camera mounted still and speed of 120 kmh or more (version for nerds). PLZ remember, that PHEV cannot go faster than 150-155 kmh/h in pure electric mode with 70kW (I have also checked standard 60 kW, top speed is 140something ;)

BTW - flasher I write will be for Android, with iGate as a flashing device (any - WiFi or Bluetooth). I personally use WiFi one.

Any comments appreciated.

I find this so exCiting (thanks, zzcoopej :lol: ) .... :p

vtechtuning said:
... but I have still one issue - if gasoline engine is started, it works until state of charge is a factory minimal (about 30%). So when it starts - it works quite long (of course if mod permits it). If mod does not permit it, you will just be stopped and must press ECO button to switch to normal mode to start gasoline engine - and then it will run until factory minimal state of charge OR until you press ECO again (and block gasoline engine).
This sounds familiar. The car has two different sets of low and high water marks for the hysteresis cycle. One for lower speed (approx 26 - 28%) and one for higher speed (approx 30 - 32%). When you slow down while the high speed hysteresis cycle is active, the car will complete that cycle. Even though you might be above the high water mark for the slower cycle.

If you aks me now, I would not consider this a big issue ...

Wrt the AC / Heater issue: would it possible to sent an AC Off message (as if the Off key was pressed) to the AC ECU when the car is shut down? Or when the car is powered up in ACC mode?

I presume that flashing the control system to make these changes will be seen by Mitsubishi garage servicing the car and will kill the 5 year warranty? :?

Tipper said:
I presume that flashing the control system to make these changes will be seen by Mitsubishi garage servicing the car and will kill the 5 year warranty? :?

No. They cannot see changes but they can use ECO button and notice, that it blocks gasoline engine.
The only way to avoid any opportunity of being catched is to reflash PHEV ecu back to factory state before service and again to this mod after leaving Mitsu garage.

The car does have rather elaborate logging, which is uploaded to the factory at each service... I'm fairly sure that something like this would be detected, there are error warnings on the dash.
If not for the guaranty issue I would be rather interested in such a modification.

jaapv said:
there are error warnings on the dash.

These are: sound off (I hate this "artificial engine sound"), no TPMS sensors (I have winter wheels now, sensors are in summer wheels). Yellow triangle is for TPMS sensors error - if I install summer tires - it will disappear.
Additional alert, that shows up at the end - "Possible Icy Roads".

There are no errors nor signs of mod at the dashboard. Also there are no errors stored in PHEV ecu nor gasoline ecu. Of course authorized service worker can detect modification when he/she hits ECO button and prohibit gasoline engine from working.

But with android flasher it can be reflashed back to factory program in minutes.

vtechtuning said:
Tipper said:

Oh ah, as the CAN information is delivered by the system I tune, I'm stupid enough to leave traces, that something is changed, even if I have opportunity to control all that.

Ok, let's be serious, Tipper. No way to find that. It is just controlled by me. Not an idiot. If somebody can program freely PHEV ECU, probably is not an idiot to leave traces. Ok?

Vetch, I was not implying that you are an idiot to interfere with the car's systems at all, it's just that you may have a lot to gain commercially by developing remaps to sell and I, even though I desire such changes, would have a lot to lose!

If I were either so rich or so daft to buy what is very new technology without manufacturer warranty backup then I might want to make all sorts of changes to the performance of the car without worrying about the consequences.

I think jaapv sums it up nicely.

Back