Brake light behaviour

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

I find it rather nice to cruse arround in B5 when it is alot of lights and traffic, and just controll the speed with one foot, my concern is how my brake lights behave
If i drive in 30km/h with the pedal for even on Power( no Arrow from, or too, the Wheels) will my brake lights be lit? or how do they behave in B5?

Hej Martin, I really enjoy driving in the city with the 1 pedal approach too. :) It is so convenient. Now, on my -14 there is no break light support in B5 mode. I have seen in this forum some comments about brake light support in B5 mode on -16 models.

Here: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=23543#p23543
According to Mitsubishi the brake lights only come on when in B4 at speeds of 81mph and above and when in B5 at speeds of 25mph and above, so they will not be on all the time in slow moving traffic.
So, according to this info brake lights are on from 40km/h and above in B5 mode. However your questions is still valid. Is it speed only that determines the behaviour of the brake lights in B4 and B5 modes?

Someone who would hit you in the rear in B5 would also be hitting big-engined cars in 1st gear when the driver lifts his foot off.

I understand it is a new feature on only the MY16 model.
previous models had no brake light operation on any regen force as far as I am aware (not in the U.K. anyway. Other markets may differ.)

Sounds like a test is the only way to get the answer, I will pull my trailer, with a mirror on it so i can see the brake lights, and i will tell you the result, but it will take a week.

Carnut said:
I understand it is a new feature on only the MY16 model.
previous models had no brake light operation on any regen force as far as I am aware (not in the U.K. anyway. Other markets may differ.)

The Australian ones do not activate the brake lights if paddling but the lights do come on when ACC slows the car. Lights seem to come on around the equivalent of B3 braking.

NAPpy

whether they activate or not I think its good practice to check for tailgaters anyway. Us old schoolers were taught to slow down using the gears (I guess from the drum brake era?).

Mitssupplier said:
whether they activate or not I think its good practice to check for tailgaters anyway. Us old schoolers were taught to slow down using the gears (I guess from the drum brake era?).

I have a licence to drive a minibus up to 12 seats but was going to be driving school children on a school trip so had to do a (UK) council driving course. During the driving part of the test I changed down gears approaching a junction, arriving at the stop light in second gear, handbrake on and into neutral. I was told that if I did that again, they would fail me!

Apparently they now want you to approach a junction without changing down, stop and then select the low gear to pull away. I challenged this as I said approaching a junction or roundabout I would be in the wrong gear if the way ahead cleared. They said, "do it again and they would fail me". Crazy, so I did what they wanted, then drove as I was taught 40+ years ago after I had my council approved driving certificate. When I asked the students how they were taught to drive they said the same way, approach in the gear you are in and sort it out at the junction. To me, that probably explains why there are so many rear-end collisions (exacerbated by people driving too close).

Jeff, driving for over 40 years, no accidents, one speeding ticket and paying 50p a day for fully comprehensive insurance. Go figure.

My daughter was told that changing down a gear was only used to go faster!
No tuition was given about controlling the car going down steep hills just 'use the brakes'! :roll:

Gaaaaawd! The country / world is going /has already gone .....to hell in a hand cart!

Mind you, now that I think about it...it's helluva inconvenient to be bu**er*ing around controlling the car when you've better things to do like updating feacesbook and the like.

:cry:

JimB

Might explain the number of people that come of the road each winter as well. Engine braking (and the outland simulation of same) is a vital part of car control on icy roads

I passed my test nearly 30yrs ago

I have always been taught to brake, clutch in and select correct gear when stopped (or when needing to re-accelerate - such as an empty roundabout). When driving manuals, this always seemed pretty seamless to me. This was also an approach that wasn't changed by professional police drivers on a course I went on (again, many years ago).

I would use engine braking if on snow/ice, but this would be at a significantly lower speed generally so more a completely different style of driving. Likewise, I would travel in a lower gear down a long hill - again without sudden speed increase.

Engine braking at speed always had me worried about blowing out the gearbox :)

Surely the principle is to be in the correct gear for the road speed you are traveling at? So, in a manual car I would change down through the box as the car slowed. Using the paddles gives me the same effect.

Other than to provide greater control on snow / ice / slippery roads, the whole thing about changing down through the gears is pretty much old hat now. It might have been the way that many of us were taught 20+ years ago, including myself, but times change and nowadays its probably seen as more hassle than its worth. Just because that's the way we were taught doesn't mean that its right and any other method is wrong, in the same way that pretty much nobody ever uses that stupid 'feeding the wheel through the hands' technique, even though we all had to do that to pass our test.

But it depends on the car - when I drive my TR4, I do change down through the gears, I do double declutch for fast downchanges and I do power steer in fast curves. The car was built to be driven like that. When I drive a modern car, it is not worth the bother to drive it that way as it is not made for it.

geoffshep69 said:
in the same way that pretty much nobody ever uses that stupid 'feeding the wheel through the hands' technique, even though we all had to do that to pass our test.

I'm that stupid :lol:

jaapv said:
But it depends on the car - when I drive my TR4, I do change down through the gears, I do double declutch for fast downchanges and I do power steer in fast curves. The car was built to be driven like that. When I drive a modern car, it is not worth the bother to drive it that way as it is not made for it.

Sure, in some specific situations, and for some specific cars (especially older ones) it can still make sense, but for the vast majority of people driving modern cars its a technique that is no longer necessary.

geoffshep69 said:
Sure, in some specific situations, and for some specific cars (especially older ones) it can still make sense, but for the vast majority of people driving modern cars its a technique that is no longer necessary.

Can someone explain the technical advantage of not changing down has over changing down through the box as you slow down?

Is it safer, or just easier?

To me it adds additional braking reserved being in the correct gear as opposed to effectively freewheeling to a halt!

Peter

My opinion:

Changing Down : Safer (including using paddle for same effect)

Not Changing Down : Easier

Steering : 10 - 2 position

Feeding Steering Wheel : Yes, majority of the time

g0rsq said:
geoffshep69 said:

Can someone explain the technical advantage of not changing down has over changing down through the box as you slow down?

Is it safer, or just easier?

To me it adds additional braking reserved being in the correct gear as opposed to effectively freewheeling to a halt!

Peter

I would have thought that reduced wear on the clutch was the biggest advantage - clutches are the bane of my life! I don't remember the last time I actually wore one out, but I have had many failures of the springs and release bearing. I have not driven a manual transmission for at least 10 years, but the thought of pressing a clutch pedal still brings me out in a cold sweat!

Back