Who can help me with charging timer settings

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECO101

I have now had my Outlander 6 weeks and am delighted with it - but I can't get the charger timer to work. It appears to all be set up correctly. Timer 1 is 2100 to 1500 (ie not peak period). It has transmitted to the car and replicated on car display - it just doesn't stop the charging! If I plug in at 1900 - it starts charging. I have put charge to 'OFF' from 'FULL' (as it seems to mean OVERIDE/TIMER ON) but that made no difference. I have tried 0010 to 1500 to make sure it is in the same 24 hrs - but it still starts as soon as I plug it in, whether it is 1400 or 1900. Is my timer control simply faulty or am I doing something stupid? Thanks for assistance!

In case you really are doing something stupid... And assuming it works the same as the heating timer... Have you actually set timer 1 to apply each day? Setting the timers and then telling them which days to apply is a two step process. Apologies if it is not this, just a thought. Otherwise, no idea sorry.
Cheers
H

Thanks - I have set for location aware. Still seems to make no difference! Looks like a visit to Mitsubishi but I won't hold my breath that the local garage will be able to solve it!

I agree with Claymore - definitely try with location 'off'.
Did you buy it new? It's possible it thinks that 'home' (i.e. where the charging timer operates) is somewhere else, and therefore when it is not at 'home', it will always try to charge regardless of whatever charge timers are set.
Can't think of any other explanation!

Thanks everyone for their help. I have been working on this and think I now have it clear. I hope the following is helpful and please let me know any corrections, tweaks or issues.

EXPLAINING AND SETTING THE TIMER CHARGE SYSTEM ON OUTLANDER PHEV

1) LOCATION
If you have or set up cheap-rate electricity at night, then you should set up the timer so that you get home and plug in, knowing that it will only commence charging once the cheap period starts (or at least avoiding charging in the highest rate).
However, if you ever want to charge elsewhere (eg at work or fast charge station) during the day, then you don’t want the timer to operate on these occasions, or you’ll come back having plugged it in only to find it has not charged at all!
For this reason, you can set ‘Location’ – once this is properly set, the timer works only when the car is at the selected location (eg home), which is automatically determined via GPS, but in any other place the timer is disabled, so wherever else you lug in, it charges immediately.
However, when selecting ‘Location’, it has to show as registered. Initially I had set home as the street address (but it was not the exact parking location) and when I selected Location it said ‘not registered’. I had to delete and re-register the home address and use ‘TUNING’ arrows to register it precisely. It now shows as ‘Registered’ and works as it should:

2) TIMERS
Now for the timers!
For this explanation, let’s assume your home electricity rates are as follows:
Cheap rate 9pm to 9am
Shoulder (middle) rate 9am to 3pm
High rate 3pm to 9pm
BUT at weekends it is always Cheap rate.
You can set three different time periods, eg 1 could be cheap rate, one could be shoulder and the third high – but this would NOT be a good solution (for example you’d never want the car to charge at HIGH rate if you could avoid it!). To set the timers needs more logic.

Timer limitation:
You can only set one timer per day. So if you want to charge the car from midnight to 9am (cheap rate) then you could set timer 1 for 00.00 to 09.00. BUT if you did this, you could not charge it from 9pm to midnight (unless you disabled the timer, which is a pain and I at least would forget to turn it off, or to turn it back on!).
Luckily, there is a partial solution. The timer does not only operate in the day chosen. So for example if I chose TUESDAY for timer 1, and selected timer 1 to operate from 9:00 PM to 9:00 AM, this is actually telling the car to START CHARGING ON TUESDAY AT 9:00 PM (which you would expect) but to CONTINUE CHARGING INTO THE NEXT DAY AND FINISH CHARGING AT THE NEXT 9:00 AM (ie WEDNESDAY) – like an airline flight, it should say (Next Day)! (I imagine that this would be overridden by the Wednesday setting if it conflicted, eg if timer 2 was selected, which was set to turn on the charger at 6:00 AM and off at 7:00 AM, it would stay ON at 6:00 AM as it is still on from the previous day’s instruction, but would go OFF at 7:00 AM rather than timer 1’s 9:00 AM, but I have not checked this).

The weekend transition.
Because I have cheap rate all weekend, and also tend to drive in and out of home frequently during the weekend, I want the car to charge whenever I plug in for a top up. So I could select timer OFF for Saturday and Sunday.
However, I got back at 10:00 PM on Sunday evening with an empty battery, and plugged in, and it started charging (a click and a solid green light). But come Monday morning it was not fully charged. What happened? The timer was OFF for Sunday – so it charged from 10:00 PM until the end of Sunday, ie 2 hours charge. But when Monday started, timer 1 (which is selected for Mondays) came into force. And timer 1 is 9:00 PM to 9:00 AM. So as Sunday moved into Monday, the charging was switched off – Monday’s charge timer said OFF UNTIL 9:00 PM, so it did as it was told, and switched off!
I have now resolved this by selecting another timer setting (timer 2) for Saturday and Sunday. Timer 2 is set from 0:10 AM to 23:50 PM. BUT AT THIS POINT I ALSO USED THE ‘FULL CHARGE’ OPTION.
I found the wording confusing, but have worked out that selecting ‘FULL CHARGE’ ON on the right side of the ‘Timer Settings’ page will OVER-RIDE THE TIMER CUT-OFF TIME whereas selecting ‘FULL CHARGE’ OFF really means ‘TIMER FULLY ON’! (That is, when ‘Full Charge’ is set to ‘OFF’ the charging is determined solely by the timer times, but if ‘Full Charge’ is selected to ‘ON’, the charging will start according to the timer ON time, but charging will continue until fully charged regardless of the Charging Timer's OFF time).

So on Saturday and Sunday, the timer is now set to charge any time (between 0:10 AM and 23:50 PM, but to continue charging until the battery is full. So now, if I get home at 11PM on Sunday evening and plug in, instead of switching off at 23:50 PM and me finding barely any charge on Monday morning, it will get its full charge before going off!

(One potential problem remains: If I get home at 1 AM, the timer will already be in the Monday regime, ie, don’t charge until 9:00 PM. So I will need to be in a fit state to switch the timer off in order to get a full battery in the morning. But if I wasn’t, I shouldn’t be driving!).

Hmm - as I have the same supply pattern with ECO 20:20, I'm glad my Gx3h doesn't have this facility. ;)

Hi Greendwarf,

I appreciate from your comment that I have made it look very complicated. My intention is to explain it clearly so it can work simply and effectively! That unfortunately made it lengthy as well.

I do hope it is useful for anyone with the software. Now it is finally working it is excellent. But I'm glad I didn't wait for the dealer to get it working!

ECO 101

My timer and remote have been working OK for 2 years now (though it is frustrating that the car always grabs the wi-fi connection and therefore stops Google maps or other wi fi or internet from working unless it is manually switched off!

However, I recently had the upgrade to the 14 letter password and even though I downloaded Remote software 1 (I have a brake handle so this is the right version) it would not connect. When I took the car back, they diagnosed a faulty chip (?) and booked it in to replace it - which they did today. Guess what - it still won't connect! It beeps to register after pushing lock/unlock 5 times (as it should) but it fails to find the remote even having ensured the correct name and password. The techie cannot make it work!

It is going back at the end of July but I suspect they will not be able to fix it then either. Any ideas? Android phone is running Oreo, 8.1.0 (5th May 2018)

I have now found that though the remote Android connection doesn't work with Oreo, it does work with an earlier version, Android 6.0, Marshmallow, dated 1 June 2016.

So I have to revert to an earlier phone! This is a bit crazy. You would imagine that systems should be backward compatible.

Thank you, Eco.
I will refer this page once I have time to re program my timer.

Using the level 1 charger in the USA, usually take me 8+ hours to charge.

With the level 2 charger, I will not need more that 4hours charging. Specially nice on the weekend.

Tai

Thanks Tai - here in Australia we are at 240 volts (your level 2, I guess), so it only ever takes me 4 hours for a full charge! Hope you are enjoying your car as much as I am - best one I've ever had, despite he frustrations with remotes etc!

ECO101 said:
... (though it is frustrating that the car always grabs the wi-fi connection and therefore stops Google maps or other wi fi or internet from working unless it is manually switched off!
With an iPhone, you can select a wifi connection and tell the phone not to connect to it automatically. This means it stays on 3G/4G in the car unless I connect to the car's WiFi manually. I assume that there must be some similar setting in Android

ThudnBlundr said:
ECO101 said:
... (though it is frustrating that the car always grabs the wi-fi connection and therefore stops Google maps or other wi fi or internet from working unless it is manually switched off!
With an iPhone, you can select a wifi connection and tell the phone not to connect to it automatically. This means it stays on 3G/4G in the car unless I connect to the car's WiFi manually. I assume that there must be some similar setting in Android

In the Android Auto settings you can setup so that wifi is turned off if connected via USB to the car. This ensure you have mobile data available for maps, etc. Once you disconnect from the usb, your phone wifi will turn back on (assuming it was on when you connected).

Rich

** Sorry correction the setting is Turn Wi-Fi off when Android Auto is running. I guess this is less useful unless you happen to have one of the models which uses Android Auto for the MMCS **

It is worth noting that on newer models (mine is MY2017) there is a button on the side of the remote (circle with clock) which overrides all timers and will start charging immediately. I believe you need all doors closed as this also locks the car when it starts the charge. I use this for any immediate charging and have one simple program for my overnight, keep going until full, anywhere charge.

I have found that for me this has worked very well and is simple to use.

Rich

ECO101 said:
I have now found that though the remote Android connection doesn't work with Oreo, it does work with an earlier version, Android 6.0, Marshmallow, dated 1 June 2016.

So I have to revert to an earlier phone! This is a bit crazy. You would imagine that systems should be backward compatible.

I have recently upgraded to Oreo (Android V8) running on a Samsung S7 with Remote Ctrl App Version 2 and this works fine. I normally check my wifi is on and start the connection to the car first and then click to start the App. This ensures I'm connecting to the correct network as the App is starting up. I normally see a message from the phone to say No internet available check connection but I ignore this. If your phone is setup to start searching for another network this will stop the connection to the car.

Rich

Thanks Rich - you have a newer model (presumably with electric handbrake?) which uses Remote Control II. Mine is earlier version which now needs Remote Control I (since upgrade to 14 digit password). I tried II but it clearly was not going to work at all on my vehicle. It was Android 8 Oreo on a brand new Elephone A4. Now reverted to Android 6 Marshmallow and it's fine. My remote does not have the timer over-ride button you mention.

Back