Brake light behaviour

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
g0rsq said:
geoffshep69 said:
Sure, in some specific situations, and for some specific cars (especially older ones) it can still make sense, but for the vast majority of people driving modern cars its a technique that is no longer necessary.

Can someone explain the technical advantage of not changing down has over changing down through the box as you slow down?

Is it safer, or just easier?

To me it adds additional braking reserved being in the correct gear as opposed to effectively freewheeling to a halt!

Peter

Does not changing down have any direct benefit ? Probably not, but then what is the direct benefit of changing down through several gears ? Little or nothing in my opinion, it just seems like an unnecessary and archaic way of driving. I’m sure there must be some additional wear on clutch and engine parts, not to mention that focusing on additional gear changes could distract your focus. I guess this shouldn’t be the case, but its similar to what they teach you on advanced driving courses about indicating - if other vehicles/pedestrians are around then of course you indicate, but if you are in splendid isolation then you are encouraged not to indicate, as you are basically undertaking an unnecessary task which involves taking your hands off the wheel.

greendwarf said:
Surely the principle is to be in the correct gear for the road speed you are traveling at? So, in a manual car I would change down through the box as the car slowed. Using the paddles gives me the same effect.

I learned to drive many years ago and see no sense in being in the wrong gear for the road spead, an automatic would change down so why shouldn't you. I always remind people of the day that I approached an island, ( had gone down the box to second), when I looked in my mirror again I saw an articulated lorry coming up behind me with all the wheels locked and smoke coming from the tyres. Had I have not been able to jump back on the pedal and get the hell out of there I would have died. Just because you go down the box doesn't mean you have to use the engine for braking. Brakes these days are so much better and the gears in the diff and box aren't really designed to be driven backwards. It also used to be the case that you should not coast because "you have no control of the road wheels", much the same as being in the wrong gear! I had a right game trying to explain to someone why I can coast in my PHEV!

geoffshep69 said:
g0rsq said:
geoffshep69 said:
I guess this shouldn’t be the case, but its similar to what they teach you on advanced driving courses about indicating - if other vehicles/pedestrians are around then of course you indicate, but if you are in splendid isolation then you are encouraged not to indicate, as you are basically undertaking an unnecessary task which involves taking your hands off the wheel.

And indicating when there is no one to indicate for also suggests you are not aware of your surroundings - a friend indicated when taking a test to drive ambulance and failed on this.

I also think the rise in rear end collisions could be due to Stop-Start technology - having to wait for the engine of the car in front to start. And a recent bug bear - insurance apps that penalise you for pulling away quickly, or braking heavily. Certain drivers taking this too far the other way and causing unsafe behaviour in the process.

Ollycat said:
And indicating when there is no one to indicate for also suggests you are not aware of your surroundings - a friend indicated when taking a test to drive ambulance and failed on this.

So the unsighted (to the driver) pedestrian, cyclist, etc. is not entitled to the benefit of being warned of a vehicle's impending change of direction - I wonder how that would play out in court, e.g. death by dangerous driving?

Ollycat said:

I would argue it is the opposite, that not indicating shows a level of arrogance, that you are infallable. Everyone can make a mistake, there can always be some driver / pedestrian / cyclist that you didn't see, that was hidden from view, or who only appeared after you looked in that direction. Especially in cities and builtup areas. The only safe thing to do is to -always- indicate.

Back