Battery degradation

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jthspace said:
Esparza said:
I assume that Mitsubishi can track what has happened by interrogating the on-board computer which, I assume (correct me) records the charge patterns over life - how else can a graph be plotted unless they have data? So, one could argue it's only 2 per month, but the records may show something different . . .

Jeff
The logs are read out and uploaded to Japan at each service for analysis purposes. Big Data and such.

Esparza said:
Grigou said:
@Esparza, your red points are crossing a vertical line : the 20 000 km line.

Do you see the lowest 2 blue points on this line ? (the left one just on the line).

These are my 2 points ;)

I never do fast charges, and since I bought the car (October 2014) I've driven only about 4000-5000 km from electricity (and 16 000 - 17 000 km from petrol).
So it seems that time is more important than the km no? Even if you use it mainly with petrol.

Both are important, as you know. And the intensity of charge in A is important too... but it's difficult to compare the importance of these different factors.

For my battery I have no real explanation. A bad copy, perhaps ...

gwatpe said:
MMC have quoted a maximum 20% loss of battery capacity over its life is expected. If this happens in under 5 years, then battery pack is replaced under warranty.

It's not the first time that I read it.

Do you have more info ? Any official doc ? Is this assertion available worldwide ?

Mine is at about 11 % loss in 1,5 year (but I know that the curve is not linear, fortunately).

The BYD taxis operating out of Heathrow must use the Rapid chargers at Heston Services several times a day (there's always at least one there when I call in). Has anyone seen any data from pure EV cars to suggest Mitsu's warnings are justified or is the impact less on their batteries?

greendwarf said:
The BYD taxis operating out of Heathrow must use the Rapid chargers at Heston Services several times a day (there's always at least one there when I call in). Has anyone seen any data from pure EV cars to suggest Mitsu's warnings are justified or is the impact less on their batteries?

Could be that the drivers just accept battery replacement as a fact of life - they are commercial vehicles and all maintenance will be VAT free and tax deductible.

maby said:
greendwarf said:

Could be that the drivers just accept battery replacement as a fact of life - they are commercial vehicles and all maintenance will be VAT free and tax deductible.

Possibly, but these are still on loan/trial from the manufacturer, as I understand it, and taxi fares are heavily regulated & very competitive in London so their cost margins are likely to be slim over regular diesel cabs.

I will stop using CHAdeMO charging soon, but it seems that is not as bad as we think. For example when we drive in paralel mode and we lift the throttle, the generator gives enough power to charge the battery at 80A.
And I bought the car to use it, this is an opinion but i prefer use free CHAdeMO (maybe degradating more the pack) and drive more km around the city in electrical mode than drive in series mode that km ;)
If you are interested i will continue posting my battery degradation and we will see if it changes when i stop using CHAdeMO.

I've stoped using CHAdeMO. The battery capacity has increased 0.5 Ah but i think due to the higher temperatures.
Now graphs look better :D

2meti88.jpg

ezg40n.jpg

I see one flaw in your second graph. You assume an initial capacity of 40. That is a nominal value Delivery tests give ~ 38 to 39 for a new battery.

jaapv said:
I see one flaw in your second graph. You assume an initial capacity of 40. That is a nominal value Delivery tests give ~ 38 to 39 for a new battery.

Actually the graph is automatically generated from my site http://www.EvBatMon.com . 40kWh is an arbitary maximum scale just to ensure the major Y-axis interval is a simple 10kWh. In EvBatMon, the PMC (Percentage of Manufacturer's Capacity) calculation, the more realistic "delivered" baseline value of 38kWh is used.

How can i manage to know my battery degradation?

Esparza said:
I've stoped using CHAdeMO. The battery capacity has increased 0.5 Ah but i think due to the higher temperatures.
Now graphs look better :D

2meti88.jpg

ezg40n.jpg

Back