Battery Capacity

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Miitsubishi guarantees the battery except for "normal wear" One could argue legally that their statement defines "Normal wear".

Hi I am new to the forum, having only had mine for a month. What is the best regarding charging the battery, ie from flat or low state of charge in order to get the best life and the longest ev distance. At present I can only get 26-27 miles when charging from a flat position

In general Li-Ion batteries benefit from regular charging from part-discharge instead of cycling them fully. However, Mitsubishi have built in a number of safeguards, like never letting the battery under 20% charge or even rarely under 27% and not up to the theoretical maximum capacity to make this far less of an issue. The only things to avoid are top-up charging a near-full battery or over-indulging in rapid charging.
As for the range, it is highly dependent on driving style, driving conditions, temperature, etc. If you judge range by the guess-o-meter, be aware that it is very consistent at showing a wrong value.

The battery also is stressed by high discharge currents.
So be gentle with the right foot and your battery will live a lot longer.

Kim said:
The battery also is stressed by high discharge currents.
So be gentle with the right foot and your battery will live a lot longer.
Don't you think Mitsu has taken care of that by limiting max output to 60 kW (5C)? Vtechtuning has shown the battery is capable of (much) more than that.

anko, thats what I mean.
AFAIK the LEV are ratet to a max. of only 6C!
For a reasonable battery life expecancy you'd wanna stay away from that as often and as far as possible.

I went to my local retailer last week, and he said that the 2017 model making its debut in Canada in next weeks, will have a 18kwh battery.
This allowed the car to have a real 58 km range. (and full Quebec 8000$ encentives)
I'm waiting this car for years now, and it seem that it worth waiting so long :)

I have noticed with some curiosity that Autocar magazine have been listing a Outlander facelift this summer, just before the ASX facelift this autumn. Perhaps this battery upgrade is the answer just before its launch in the USA.

He said that the 2017 model will have the surronding cameras. Don't you already have it in Europe?

boug said:
I went to my local retailer last week, and he said that the 2017 model making its debut in Canada in next weeks, will have a 18kwh battery.
This allowed the car to have a real 58 km range. (and full Quebec 8000$ encentives)
I'm waiting this car for years now, and it seem that it worth waiting so long :)
Interesting - I take it you are in Canada and this seems to be the first indication of what I was alluding to at the start of this thread. Do you think you could post more details - there seems to be some Google references in French but I don't trust my translation skills.

http://www.terrebonnemitsubishi.ca/outlander_phev_2017.aspx?lng=2

I've looked around the net and can't find anything suggesting a bigger battery (yet?).

The above advert for Canada seems to have the normal range quoted.

Perhaps the dealer is getting confused with the quick charge rating or something?

ian4x4 said:
http://www.terrebonnemitsubishi.ca/outlander_phev_2017.aspx?lng=2

I've looked around the net and can't find anything suggesting a bigger battery (yet?).

The above advert for Canada seems to have the normal range quoted.

Perhaps the dealer is getting confused with the quick charge rating or something?

Maybe, but those advert are far than up to date. I talk to a representative of Mitsubishi Canada in the last Montreal auto show last february, and I remember asking him about the battery upgrade rumour for 2017. His answer was ambigus. (It was not a absolute no ;)
So, I'm suppose to have answers in next weeks. Wait and see.

I have a 4h model 4 weeks old when I asked the same question to dealer he said upgrades only at minimum of 3 years so you wont see one till 2019 at least. There is an upgrade coming for ASX probably confused with that.

Back