EV System Failure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeroreason

Bank Holiday Sunday two weeks ago my Outlander wouldn't start. EV System Failure was reported on the dash.
MAPS was called and a technician arrived, after 2 hours he couldn't fix it and it needed to be picked up by a low loader and taken back to the dealer. Not great for a car that not even 6 monthes old.
After a week at the dealer, who were not very good at all. Possibly the worst dealer support I have had. I picked up the car and all was well. I was told the on board charge board had failed and was replaced.

Now today after spending a weekend away its just been loaded onto a low loader again with exactly the same problem.

I thought these cars were supposed to be reliable.

Anyone else had similar issues and actually had them fixed?

TIA
Rob

zeroreason said:
Bank Holiday Sunday two weeks ago my Outlander wouldn't start. EV System Failure was reported on the dash.
MAPS was called and a technician arrived, after 2 hours he couldn't fix it and it needed to be picked up by a low loader and taken back to the dealer. Not great for a car that not even 6 monthes old.
After a week at the dealer, who were not very good at all. Possibly the worst dealer support I have had. I picked up the car and all was well. I was told the on board charge board had failed and was replaced.

Now today after spending a weekend away its just been loaded onto a low loader again with exactly the same problem.

I thought these cars were supposed to be reliable.

Anyone else had similar issues and actually had them fixed?

TIA
Rob

Sorry to hear that, sounds like they fixed the symptom rather than finding the underlying cause. Presumably they will look deeper now.

I had the same scenario with a Honda and a sensor fault, kept going in but they were replacing the wrong bits. Only got sorted when they spoke to the head office technical support for advice my point being it can happen with a multitude of systems on any car or brand.. yours is not a fault I have heard of before. Perhaps an intermittent short circuit somewhere is taking out your boards. I am sure you won't allow them to just replace it and send it back without finding the true cause and explaining what they found.

Years ago I had a Volvo 745 Turbo that would die on a regular basis, blowing a couple of circuit boards (albeit primitive by today's standards, I guess...) It turned out that one mass connection had not been cleared of paint properly at assembly, causing intermittent voltage spikes which destroyed electronic circuits. It took Bosch services a year to find this fault.

My gx4 has just broken down for the 2nd time and waiting recovery again
Fault. EV system service required.
Last time dealer reset it got it working had it for a week and had deleted logs when they reset it so main mitusbishi would not investigate it further.
Add to that this is not a charging point problem as I don't use the charger at all as I don't trust them.
Totally hacked off and cannot wait to run the mileage up on this Friday afternoon gx4 and get a reliable vehicle.

Added to that they are now relaying me to the garage

Latest update after chasing every day this week is that it could be a problem with the batteries. Logs and diags have been sent to Mitsubushi and awaiting results.
It might have to be sent back to Mitsubushi as its beyond what the dealer can do.

Pretty poor service all round, the Corsa loan vehicle is not exactly what I would expect. Takes me back to being 18 again.

Hi. I had the same the 1st time mine went wrong. But when they reset it it deleted the log so Head office would not do anything about it.
I just cannot wait to run up the mileage on this and get rid of it.

I just wish Mitsubishi would come clean about their inherent problem with a PHEV and tell the owners what they need to do to overcome this issue.

Sturud said:
Hi. I had the same the 1st time mine went wrong. But when they reset it it deleted the log so Head office would not do anything about it.
I just cannot wait to run up the mileage on this and get rid of it.

I just wish Mitsubishi would come clean about their inherent problem with a PHEV and tell the owners what they need to do to overcome this issue.

What inherent problem with PHEV? they have sold 10's of thousands, a couple of peoples issues don't make it 'inherent' -

inherent is 500 Zafira's catching fire!

I use the word inherent in the terms of failure analysis and looking for common reported issues that cause things to fail due to component or software issue. When I hear recovery drivers saying 7 phev same fault in 10 days. Or like mine same fault in 3 weeks. When I have it fully clarified the modification needed to resolve this. I will be more than willing to share ref this, as you say not inherent, never seen before and totally unusual fault that needs a modification.

Sturud said:
I use the word inherent in the terms of failure analysis and looking for common reported issues that cause things to fail due to component or software issue. When I hear recovery drivers saying 7 phev same fault in 10 days. Or like mine same fault in 3 weeks. When I have it fully clarified the modification needed to resolve this. I will be more than willing to share ref this, as you say not inherent, never seen before and totally unusual fault that needs a modification.

Yup.

There is a fault I would call inherent though which is probably what the recovery drivers are seeing which is the issue with the Chademo rapid chargers causing the car to error and be unmovable requiring a recovery.

We do know that doing anything other turning off, plugging in, and letting it run its course then unplugging, then starting up can course the issue, but there are reports by many adamant they do this and still had the failure, so who knows?

Mitsubishi and Ecotricity blamed each other and I don't remember it ever being resolved. Personally I have used them a great many times without issue but it may be just a matter of time until my luck runs out... :shock:

I here what you are saying about the chargers and there being a potential issue with them and I really feel for anyone involved with that scenario.
I have been reading the forums since I had the PHEV in Jan and all the advice about not charging them and all the dramas it can cause.
In my case this was not a charging issue. In fact I have only charged it once since I have had it at approx. 7000 miles and there was no issue at all ( and that was just to see if the charging system actually worked). The 1st time the dreaded "ev system service required " fault happened was at approx. 11,500 miles and now again at 12,600 miles and had never been near a charger since the 7500mile attempt. all I did was drive from home to site about 120mile and then switch off to sign in and hey presto "ev system service required"
I had an update saying the logs had been sent to Mitsubishi and there were further checks being carried out while the car is still in the fault condition, talking about resistance checks etc.
The real gutting thing is that I have been a 40,000 mile a year field service engineer for the past 22 years and this is the best car I have had by far, hence the frustration in the wording.

I've had this issue twice in the last week on a two month old car. Both times I needed to be recovered.
The first time after charging, the second after driving, so its NOT a charging issue.

I did love this car, but now find myself very distrustful of it. The garage has no real idea of what the problem is, and neither do I have much confidence they'll find the fault soon.

I do wonder what to do with the car (which is a contact hire vehicle) if it becomes a persistant problem.

JamesM said:
I've had this issue twice in the last week on a two month old car. Both times I needed to be recovered.
The first time after charging, the second after driving, so its NOT a charging issue.

I did love this car, but now find myself very distrustful of it. The garage has no real idea of what the problem is, and neither do I have much confidence they'll find the fault soon.

I do wonder what to do with the car (which is a contact hire vehicle) if it becomes a persistant problem.

I have a new MY2016, december 2015, which had the EV-system fault twice. The first time, the system could be reset. The second time, they didn't reset, to make sure they could find the problem. Mileage was about 3.000 and 5.000. Faults occured after "slow" charging.

It seemed, after research, there was a faulty "relais". It is meant to switch between charging and decharching, but it just did not. Since it has been replaced, I drove the car without problems. The point is that you want to bring the car, in "faulty state", to a dealer that knows how to handle this car to be able to find the problem.

I have to concur. My dealer had to be presented with the PHEV with the fault still present before any real action started. It was apt that the dealer had the same experience I had with the car veering onto the wrong side of the road. Probably why my PHEV was replaced and not just a single component.

Seems like the PHEV is not really any different to any other mass produced product, with some faults ending up presenting to the customer.

Grigou said:
We must admit that Mitsubishi is quite a good stuff, but it is not Toyota :oops:

My experience of Toyota is that they are pretty good while they work - which is most of the time - but damned expensive to get fixed when they stop working!

EV Service Failure

I returned to my car to get the same fault, called RAC who spent an hour pulling car to bits, checked battery, fuses, relays (a known problem) and couldn't get it to start. Plugged in their computer and no faults. Low loader struggled as it wouldn't come out of 'Park'. Now at dealer.

Question: If EV fails why can't you use it as a petrol automatic, not ideal as I only get late 20's mpg in this mode but better being stuck with a car that wouldn't start 40 miles from home on a Friday night.

UK Spec 4GSh

Sturud said:
I here what you are saying about the chargers and there being a potential issue with them and I really feel for anyone involved with that scenario.
I have been reading the forums since I had the PHEV in Jan and all the advice about not charging them and all the dramas it can cause.
In my case this was not a charging issue. In fact I have only charged it once since I have had it at approx. 7000 miles and there was no issue at all ( and that was just to see if the charging system actually worked). The 1st time the dreaded "ev system service required " fault happened was at approx. 11,500 miles and now again at 12,600 miles and had never been near a charger since the 7500mile attempt. all I did was drive from home to site about 120mile and then switch off to sign in and hey presto "ev system service required"
I had an update saying the logs had been sent to Mitsubishi and there were further checks being carried out while the car is still in the fault condition, talking about resistance checks etc.
The real gutting thing is that I have been a 40,000 mile a year field service engineer for the past 22 years and this is the best car I have had by far, hence the frustration in the wording.

Question, why would have a PHEV and not charge it?

I am averaging around 90 mpg on my estimates with EV (mainly) and petrol(mainly to charge battery when low), petrol only 28mpg

anko said:
Grigou said:
We must admit that Mitsubishi is quite a good stuff, but it is not Toyota :oops:
Fortunately not .... :mrgreen: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/toyota-adds-1-6-million-vehicles-to-takata-air-bag-recall/

O yes, of course Toyota is not 100 % perfect !

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/consumer-reports-best-and-worst-car-brands-in-2016-include-audi-subaru-and-lexus-1.11504841

Where is Mitsu ? Have a look at the bottom of the ranking ! :D

We must stay humble ;)

Grigou said:
anko said:
Grigou said:
Fortunately not .... :mrgreen: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/toyota-adds-1-6-million-vehicles-to-takata-air-bag-recall/

O yes, of course Toyota is not 100 % perfect !

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/consumer-reports-best-and-worst-car-brands-in-2016-include-audi-subaru-and-lexus-1.11504841

Where is Mitsu ? Have a look at the bottom of the ranking ! :D

We must stay humble ;)

http://www.whatcar.com/news/honda-named-uks-reliable-used-car-manufacturer-2015/

17th isn't the end of the world...

Back