3 phase charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerDave

I live in Tasmania, where there are very few public charging stations, but where there is a surprising number of 3 phase outlets. Is it possible to charge the Outlander from a 3 phase (240V per phase, 50Hz) outlet? If so, where can I buy the appropriate equipment?

There is no reason to do so, as normal charging is either through a 16 Amp 240 V fixed charging point or the provided 10 Amp charging box from a domestic outlet. Both only require a two-phase 240 V connection.

32 Amp fast charging is through a ChaDeMo charger, which is:
a. too expensive to install for private use.
b. potentially harmful for the battery when used too frequently.
c. not provided for in all markets, which I am fairly sure includes Tasmania

FarmerDave said:
I live in Tasmania, where there are very few public charging stations, but where there is a surprising number of 3 phase outlets. Is it possible to charge the Outlander from a 3 phase (240V per phase, 50Hz) outlet? If so, where can I buy the appropriate equipment?

I made a 3 phase to 15A adaptor which works fine.

Connect the neutral, earth and the live to one phase in the 3 phase plug and the other end to a standard 15A female and you will have 240V for the box to connect into.

NAPpy

Indeed. No reason why you could not do so. In fact, my house is hooked up to a 3-phase 230 / 240 volt connection. But obviously, I use only one phase per wall socket and also only one phase for charging the car. Here in the Netherlands, we would need something like this to hook it up to a 3 phase outlet:

CEE-Adapter-CEE-16A-Stecker_720x600.jpg

But indeed, it will not charge the car any faster than it would on a normal single phase 230 / 240 volt outlet.

Back