Tyre longevity

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusz

Just wondered what mileage people get out of the standard Toyota 18" tyres as fitted to MY 2016 GX4H PHEV?
Wit my previous Civic I got approx 22k miles out of the fronts and 50k out of the rears.

Hi

Tyre wear is not bad at all considering the weight of the vehicle.

If you drive carefully you'll easily get to 25,000 miles or more, but corner hard and you'll scrub out the fronts.
They really take a beating in the nose-heavy PHEV.

Kaboom said:
Hi

If you drive carefully you'll easily get to 25,000 miles or more, but corner hard and you'll scrub out the fronts.

And boy, can you corner hard - yippee! Mind you, I 've already had to replace 2 tyres in 12,000 miles but that's due to punctures :(

Kaboom said:
Hi

Out of curiosity, why do you think it is nose-heavy? In theory, it should be far less nose-heavy than most other cars with a front engine, even 4x4's. Okay, we are missing the drive shaft, but we have the very heavy battery between the axles and the and rear motor on the rear axle. Both should result in a less nose-heavy configuration.

Autocar give weight distribution as 55/45 front/rear.

Body control is decent for a car of this size, too, while the steering is uninvolving but wholly dependable. Mitsubishi’s S-AWC system, first developed for the Mitsubishi Evo, is fitted as standard, and effectively controls power distribution, yaw, stability and ABS control.

It can’t overcome physics – you can never escape the fact that this is a big car with a big battery pack in it, even if weight distribution is rated at 55 per cent front, 45 per cent rear – but the Outlander feels secure and dependable. For most owners its capabilities will be more than adequate.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mitsubishi/outlander-phev-2012-2015/first-drives/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-uk-first-drive

Okay, in need of lessons in English :oops:

Kaboom, when you wrote "the nose-heavy PHEV" did you just mean to say that "the PHEV that is heavier at the front than it is at the rear" (which it obviously is)? Or did you mean to suggest it is more nose-heavy than most other cars? Because that is how I interpreted it.

Anyway, I think most cars are heavier at the nose than they are at the rear and a 55 / 45 distribution does not strike me as particular nose-heavy, even though the nose is indeed heavier than the tail.

greendwarf said:
And boy, can you corner hard - yippee!

Hm...The car does not handle catastrophically bad, but the Toyos are borderline dangerous even on dry tarmac in my opinion, and the car understeers and reacts very non-4x4ly. The steering is also somehow a bit unproportional off-centre, which feels a bit weird.

I was a bit too enthusiastic on an on-ramp with a nice bend, and was surprised by the bad grip, understeer, and the car's sudden reaction when I eased off the throttle. I think I had crashed the car of it was not for the stability system that kicked in.

I used to have a Freelander, which is more or less the same weight and handles like a drunken
hippo, but it was somehow more consistent.

All in all, the outlander is at its best while driving straight ahead :)

Yep, I mean it doesn't handle that well when cornering hard in the wet - and it scrubs out the front tyres; particularly on the outside edge.

These Toyos are simply not top quality tyres. Just fit Contis or some other A brand - make sure to get a type designed for SUVs- and it will transform handling.
My Conti tyres are not even half worn after 35.000 km.

It's fascinating how a discussion about expected tyre longevity has morphed into one about handling.

The PHEV is a near 2 tonne brick which is supremely comfortable and can cruise for hours with ease - the operative word here is 'cruise'. It certainly isn't a Golf GTi or a Civic Type R (or worse still, a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO). At least we can drive 400 miles without having to see an osteopath while dripping blood from our ear drums :D

I agree the handling is a bit ropy on the limits; but those limits are where we should expect them to be for a heavy SUV.

As I, and others, have said in the past, leave 5 minutes early and enjoy the comfort, near silence and the magnificent view over the bonnet.

jaapv said:
These Toyos are simply not top quality tyres. Just fit Contis or some other A brand - make sure to get a type designed for SUVs- and it will transform handling.
My Conti tyres are not even half worn after 35.000 km.

I had contis on a RR Sport and they needed replaced after 10k miles due to edge feathering - fitted Pirelli scorpions instead and they wore well but although all season weren't great in winter :(

I asked about Toyo tyres on another thread - dealers told me if I fit anything else it will invalidate warranty and cause issues - do I take it this is complete rubbish as usual if you have contis :roll:

I am looking at Goodyear Eagle all season as I don't want hassle of summer/winter swapping again :?

My Contis (CrossContact UHP) were the tyres my car was delivered on on my request. The value of the Toyos was deducted. The guaranty argument sounds like utter rubbish to me.

35000 km on the Contis, 35000 on Hankook winter tyres (not my idea, but good advice by my dealer) and no complaints.

Thanks jaapv - I will get them swapped and sell the Toyos I think :cool:

Found this on another forum -

Interestingly I asked Mitsubishi technical about this recently as mine are getting to the end of their life :

"I can confirm that the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is fitted with 225/55R18 98H Toyo tyres, as standard. Whilst we would recommend that replacements should be a like for like replacement, it is the case that you can use any tyre, so long as it meets this size specification.

As the vehicle is fitted with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), it is important that all four tyres are the same size make, model and tyre tread. Any differences will be detected by the TPMS and may cause issue with the vehicle operation."

So as I read that , if I change a tyre and it's not like for like I need to change all four?

As the vehicle is fitted with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), it is important that all four tyres are the same size make, model and tyre tread. Any differences will be detected by the TPMS and may cause issue with the vehicle operation.
I might be mistaken, but wasn't TPMS the acronym for a system that measures and monitors .... tyre pressure? Must be a very fancy system if it can also detect differences in size, make, model and thread.

anko said:
As the vehicle is fitted with a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), it is important that all four tyres are the same size make, model and tyre tread. Any differences will be detected by the TPMS and may cause issue with the vehicle operation.
I might be mistaken, but wasn't TPMS the acronym for a system that measures and monitors .... tyre pressure? Must be a very fancy system if it can also detect differences in size, make, model and thread.

It can't - another Mitsu urban myth :roll:

Can I drag this thread back to the original question. What sort of mileage do people generally get out of the Toyota tyres? There must be some people who have gone through one or more sets of tyres or do people change their car instead of the tyres.

Back