Thin paint on the Phev

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
karl said:
After a year, the bonnet is full of small marks, the steps in therear doors looks like shit, and apparantly even finger nails is hard enough to scratch the paint as the paint behind the door handles is scratched beyond belief.
How will the charge cover look after 10 years after opening/closing twice a day? :-(

LarsErikOsterud said:
Seems like a protector for the bonnet is a must. Didn't have that on my old X-trail. And it looked like someone had a go with a shotgun. So I wisly bought one for my new PHEV :)

PHEV-front.jpg
Hi

I have a Black 2016 PHEV in the UK and the bonnet is already well chipped. Does anyone know of a UK source of bonnet protectors for PHEVs like the version Lars has used above, please?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Black 2016 PHEV in the UK and the bonnet is already well chipped. Does anyone know of a UK source of bonnet protectors for PHEVs like the version Lars has used above, please?

Thanks in advance.

I got mine from the official Mitsubishi dealer in Norway.
But there are several companies that sell these over here.
Might be because we have lots of gravel roads :)

LarsErikOsterud said:
karl said:
After a year, the bonnet is full of small marks, the steps in therear doors looks like shit, and apparantly even finger nails is hard enough to scratch the paint as the paint behind the door handles is scratched beyond belief.
How will the charge cover look after 10 years after opening/closing twice a day? :-(

Mine gets opened and closed twice per week - it's not showing any signs of wear yet....

Hi, yeah all of this is bad BUT this is what to expect, RUST http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2666

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2666

Put som rust-eater / rust-converter on the spots. Stops it.

http://www.biltema.no/no/Bilpleie/Rustbeskyttelse/Rusteter-2000017147/

http://www.jula.no/catalog/bil-og-garasje/bilpleie/bilreparasjon-og-maling/rustbeskyttelse/rustforvandler-504765/

They will convert the rust to a black hard surface that will not rust anymore.

maby said:
LarsErikOsterud said:
karl said:

Mine gets opened and closed twice per week - it's not showing any signs of wear yet....
Once or twice a day on average - 2013 car, 70.000 km - no wear either. Maybe it is not as flimsy as it appears.

My car has gone into the dealer today for a full paint report by a 3rd party as I have not been happy with the quality of the paint.

My worry is that the company will do the report, showing all the depths and they will be in tolerance of the standards set out by Mitsubishi as Mitsubishi have set thin standards.

StevePHEV said:
My car has gone into the dealer today for a full paint report by a 3rd party as I have not been happy with the quality of the paint.

My worry is that the company will do the report, showing all the depths and they will be in tolerance of the standards set out by Mitsubishi as Mitsubishi have set thin standards.

What was the outcome of this?

Just had car washed. 10k miles and I am generally a fairly slow, steady driver and have actively avoided any 'gravelly' roads where possible. Mostly just commute on A roads with occasional trips up/down motorway.

And my bonnet is a mess. Counted about 15 chips, some seem quite deep. Oddly, not on the front of the bonnet where you would expect (perhaps the Outlander bonnet decal helps here) but on the flat part of the bonnet mainly.

Also managed to get two fine scratches elsewhere, not deep but noticeable. I haven't knowingly scraped the car at all - in fact, I'm often uber-careful to not bash into the vehicle when walking around it etc.

Really quite disappointed although as it is a company car I'm more worried about someone at eventual swap-time saying there is more than 'expected wear and tear'. It will be going in for it's first service in a couple of thousand miles so will ask the dealership if they think this is 'expected' and probably alert my company off the back of that conversation.

Still annoying, as it spoils the look of a really nice paint colour on the car (Ruby Black)

Any tips or pointers on using the paint pens which are supplied by the dealers? I tried it a few times and followed youtube videos, but it is really not easy and I must be doing something wrong.

I've posted previously that I too consider the paint to be woefully soft and thin. Due to bushes encroaching into the narrow road to our street along the railway line, the passenger side has very fine feathered scratches showing white primer under the black paint. The car is one year old today and these scratches are noticeable already, previous car did the same journey just as often for 9 years, the one before that for 4 years and not a single feathered scratch on either! Both were SAABs, dark grey and black and nothing!

The car had its first service yesterday and went back to the dealer. I mentioned this to the manager of the dealership service centre. He said that they do the services for all the dealership's marques - Jeep, Suzuki, Volvo, Chrysler and Mitsubishi and its only Mitsu's that show this extent to damage to the paintwork so quickly. An eight year old Volvo was in the bay next to mine and the paint work on it was in near perfect nick, but the inside was a mess and it had c100,000 on the clock he told me, yet mine has all these surface scratches on it, the inside and the rest of it is immaculate and it had only done 9046 when I handed him the keys!!

I have a guy coming next week to quote for paint scratch repair and detailing. Reckon as I'm saving c£140 a month on running costs compared to the last one it might just be worth it!

lg1726 said:
I have a guy coming next week to quote for paint scratch repair and detailing. Reckon as I'm saving c£140 a month on running costs compared to the last one it might just be worth it!

I'd be interested to hear roughly how much was quoted to paint patch repair and detailing? Please if you don't mind as i would also be interested.

Cheers

jdearauj said:
lg1726 said:

I'd be interested to hear roughly how much was quoted to paint patch repair and detailing? Please if you don't mind as i would also be interested.

Cheers

Was quoted £350 to have a detailing package where all the existing little scratches are removed and a polymer coating applied, would take two days to complete. He said that as its a lease car he would then advise a another session before it goes back, but with the polymer coating this would not need to be as extensive. Got a second quote which was pretty much the same and both said they would use Polish Angel products (not sure if thats good or not, but seemed to me there is a consistent for comparison).

I know this is getting repetitive, but I too am totally annoyed with the paint. 4 weeks old and two stone chips on the bonnet. It is driven like a faberge egg on wheels.

I would recommend to keep pushing with this one. I personally have been onto Mitsubishi now for months about this issue and they are slowly starting to do tests. They have sent a bonnet from a UK car to Japan to do some drop tests to check the paint.

mine is now that bad you can flick paint off with a light touch from a thumb nail.

Wow; all this is really shocking and I'm seriously reconsidering buying this car.
Has Mitsubishi done anything about the paint? My current car (X-reg Toyota) has a few chips - not surprising over 161000 miles, but overall the paint is in great condition, and I don't want to buy a car made of soft cheese. Have any 2016 owners had the same problems?

Back