Advice for exporting an outlander phev to ivory Coast

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babish

I am going to relocate to ivory Coast, and after driving an ev for two years I really do not want to go back to ice. A phev would be perfect for my usage there but THE big problem is that mitsubishi there is not equipped to service the battery or the electric motor, so in case I have any problems I might need to ship it back...How reliable is the electric motor / battery? Is it worth taking the risk or is it just stupid? Any opinions?

You'd have to ship it home for each and every service as it must be hooked up to the computer. Not a good idea. With a lot of African experience under my belt: get a Toyota Landcruiser.

Is Mitsubishi "ivory Coast" not able to plug the PHEV to their computer .. there is no internet there?

Electric motor and battery are way more reliable then traditional engine

So service the car is just about normal service of petrol car ..

Yes if it is not connected to the computers, it is not possible to reset properly the service warning .. but this will not stop the car

If you plan to stay there for couple of years ... I don't see any big issue on take in the PHEV

No, only licensed PHEV services, trained by Mitsubishi, can service the car software. If it is not serviced at regular intervals by a licensed service the guaranty will lapse. Then there is the near-impossibility of getting parts into the country outside the established channels, most likely with 100% import charges and weeks to months of customs delays.
See your own problems with a non-licensed service - and you inside the EU. Multiply by a hundredfold in an African country.
It is not just the reliability of the car. I would not dream of owning a car that has no market penetration in a third-world country. The brands that one should own in Africa are Toyota, Mercedes and Landrover, to a certain extent KIA.

Interesting ...

Actually I'm not sure that the official Mitsubishi that did service my PHEV inn Poland have been trained ... they did look total incompetent ... starting from using a C3 oil instead of the A3/B3 as per the book

No visible activities specific for Hybrid .. they did check the 12v battery .. but no report of the Lithium battery form service

Indeed.Add that to the African disdain for the M(aintenance) word (not meant pejoratively, just mentioning an observation) and the difficulties of obtaining spares for unusual cars, plus the wear and tear by potholes and unpaved roads, dust,etc, the difficulties of charging with frequent an long blackouts, sparse petrol stations and occasional fuel shortages, an unobtainable tyre size ( and Africa eats tyres, I can assure you) and a small fuel tank. It would make a PHEV about the last car I would rely on in an African setting. Give me an old Landrover Defender. That one can be repaired with chewing gum and strings and a broken spring can be replaced by a piece of Mopane Tree. And everybody knows how to do it.
Believe me - been there-done that.

Thanks for the advices, very useful. I still think the outlander would have been good for the usage, which is mostly urban/traffic during the week, and short trip to the beach on weekends. I do not plan much off road. (I am there this week and main roads are fairly good). But maintenance and repairs are a showstopper. Not sure my wife will love the defender.. There is a big mercedes dealer, so looking now at a GLC.

Listen to jaapv, don't do it.

When you're there this week, see what the locals drive and get one of those to standard local specification - avoid European 'bling' at all costs. That way servicing and parts will be easier and the car will be up to local conditions.

Even in cities, life for a car is far harsher than here, think of the heat and humidity for one, and how far beyond the edge of town does the tarmac go? Probably not that far!

babish said:
Thanks for the advices, very useful. I still think the outlander would have been good for the usage, which is mostly urban/traffic during the week, and short trip to the beach on weekends. I do not plan much off road. (I am there this week and main roads are fairly good). But maintenance and repairs are a showstopper. Not sure my wife will love the defender.. There is a big mercedes dealer, so looking now at a GLC.
Yes, the Wabenzi Tribe drives Mercedes all over the continent. It will give you a chance to rub shoulders with the local top dogs at the dealer. :lol:

Back