The life of an engineer. We just cannot win!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Ok folks I just got a another contract :D to build another item of machinery so I will be on my way out of here again soon (I can hear the sighs of relief from you all here now :) ). But the job mainly starts in couple of weeks so you will have to put up with me for just a little bit more. What was that? :? Was that a groan I heard. :)

But before I go I would like to talk about what it is like to be an engineer so you can try to look at it from a different perspective at what Mitsubishi engineers have to contend with when they designed and constructed the PHEV.

But I will make this brief ( more sighs of relief :) ) and keep it to just couple of main points for me.

1. I have to keep within the budget the customer can afford. My machinery can be, just lets say, 99% perfect (nothing will be 100% IMO as someone will always find fault) but no one could afford it. So I have to compromise. You want something made better from me you will have to pay for it. :cool:

2. As a follow on from 1. I try to aim as high has I can push myself to produce reliable and productive machinery but trying to aim for that 100% perfection can actually reduce reliability and increase maintenance costs using some of the better current technology.

So what do I do? :?

Use that better but less reliable technology to try for that slightly increased production and then have to put up people ringing me and whinging about what a piece of crap I have made because it always breaks down. :oops:

Or go with reliability and then have them ring me later whinging " You could have used ........ in your machine. I would have because I am so much smarter than you." :roll:

Well I go for reliability and I think Mitsubishi do as well. The ones I have owned have so far proved very reliable.

There are less phone calls if the bloody machine works the majority of the time than people ringing and whinging about wanting slightly increased production or .........., insert your own words there, IMHO.

If I had to think hard about it I think the machinery I design, and help build, are probably only 80 to 85% "perfect" at that moment in time (remember technology does get better and more reliable) IMO. Please note that In My Opinion I wrote there. Chasing that last 15 to 20% would be very expensive, I think, and or decrease the reliability too much below my standards.

So I am probably more forgiving of the shortcomings of the PHEV than some others around here. :lol: But this is a product of my circumstances. I try to look at it from both sides and I always want to build better machinery as would Mitsubishi I think. So I always, when talking to customers or my fellow workers, listen to their suggestions.

But as an design engineer I can assure you we have thought about those things, before it was brought to our attention, in the design of the product in the MAJORITY of cases.

After all that is what we being paid to do as an engineer and we are just trying to do our jobs as best we can.

So please try to look at it from our side as an lowly engineer as well. :) We cannot win and we seldom get any praise but we had a go and built the bloody thing anyway.

Regards Trex.

ps I still think Mitsubishi have done a great job from an engineering viewpoint with the PHEV and my family love it as well from a more consumer viewpoint.

Totally agree.
As an electrical/mechanical development engineer who for the last 17 years has moved onto standards and regulations I will also add that regulations determine what you legally have to fulfill. In Europe, and many other places, standards are a means of showing compliance with these regulations.
I often get engineers complaining that they are not allowed to do something in a particular way. Standards indicate the minimum requirements for safety.
I don't make the rules (regulations) I just give advice on how to interpret it (also via standards).
Don't blame me I am only the messenger.

Quite so, this coming from a retired engineer who has spent a lot of time in automotive and especially configuration management.
Another aspect of this is being able to show an ROI on the project that makes it worth doing. With new technology this is especially difficult as it's so hard to accurately predict what's the volumes will be.
So as described above, the feature content of a vehicle is a also a contentious topic during design stages, bearing in mind that supply chain commitments have to made 2-3 years in advance against predicted volumes. Low take rates of expensive options can really mess up car's financials.
For the PHEV I imagine the challenge was the other way around - how to scale up the supply chain and protect quality etc. A better problem to have :D

Dusz said:
Totally agree.
As an electrical/mechanical development engineer who for the last 17 years has moved onto standards and regulations I will also add that regulations determine what you legally have to fulfill. In Europe, and many other places, standards are a means of showing compliance with these regulations.
I often get engineers complaining that they are not allowed to do something in a particular way. Standards indicate the minimum requirements for safety.
I don't make the rules (regulations) I just give advice on how to interpret it (also via standards).
Don't blame me I am only the messenger.

Hi Dusz,

We are only a smaller concern ( I am the owner ) so I have to do standards and regs mostly myself as well as being purchasing officer etc etc.

Which reminds me we once got sued for someone taking off the semi-permanent guards (held on by bolts) on one of our machines, when it was operating, and shoving his hand in a very slow running chain drive, and the chain and sprocket grabbing his hand ( and very slowly ) dragging it around the sprocket. Obviously it was hurting because he with his other hand tried to drag that caught hand out. So his other hand got caught as well. :eek:

But that was back quite some time ago. We were deemed partly at fault (20% if I remember correctly) at the time and changes had to be made. It certainly made me feel sick reading the accident report. :(

I did not know that engineers whinge. :eek:

Just tell them that it is bad for their health to whinge, which it is IMO , and be happy or go elsewhere. :lol:

Regards Trex.

ps44 said:
Quite so, this coming from a retired engineer who has spent a lot of time in automotive and especially configuration management.
Another aspect of this is being able to show an ROI on the project that makes it worth doing. With new technology this is especially difficult as it's so hard to accurately predict what's the volumes will be.
So as described above, the feature content of a vehicle is a also a contentious topic during design stages, bearing in mind that supply chain commitments have to made 2-3 years in advance against predicted volumes. Low take rates of expensive options can really mess up car's financials.
For the PHEV I imagine the challenge was the other way around - how to scale up the supply chain and protect quality etc. A better problem to have :D

Hi ps44,

Yes the return on investment or ROI is basically what I was saying in my point 1.

Yes there is more than most people know about being an engineer in the modern day.

But I do have to ask you. Do you miss being a "working engineer".

I often wonder whether I will miss it when I retire. :?

Regards Trex.

I'm not retired yet, few years to go. But you don't have to give up an engineering interest. I have more than 1 classic bike to restore and also a car to recommission, which will keep me occupied. That is if I can get my garage back. My middle son currently has his Triumph Spitfire and GT6 in my garage both of which need work.

trex

I retired some 18 years ago, and I can assure you that if you are truly an engineer, then you will retain the interest in all things technical.
I have solved my desire to 'tinker' by volunteering to restore old aircraft at the Helicopter Museum.
http://www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk/

The bonus is that I meet up with other like minded 'old boys' and we put the world to rights over our coffee breaks.

Engineers do win, in the end!!

ps44 said:

Hi ps44,

I was a little bit quick filling out my reply the other day to your post.

I meant the ROI is implied by me in point 1 as I want to make money on the project the customer can afford.

Yes Mitsubishi with the PHEV probably had a good "problem". Scaling up production etc for increased orders. But I see the orders dropped (for the PHEV) when they had that fuel economy scandal with that micro car in Japan. That would be not a good problem to have. :cry:

Regards Trex.

Dusz said:
I'm not retired yet, few years to go. But you don't have to give up an engineering interest. I have more than 1 classic bike to restore and also a car to recommission, which will keep me occupied. That is if I can get my garage back. My middle son currently has his Triumph Spitfire and GT6 in my garage both of which need work.
Hi Dusz,
I will defiantly not being giving up an engineering interest. I hope my 2 sons, who are working for me, will carry on the business and then I can drop in on them and keep an eye on things. ;) :lol:

A Triumph Spitfire . A home builder I know here restored one. He did a good job as well. But he is in a restoration "club" with others where they pool their resources ie some members were car mechanics, some were panel beaters, spray painters etc etc. Which reminds me I have not seen him for years. I wonder if he still has it? :?

Is your son or yourself in a "club"? Being so tends to push those restorations along. :cool:

Regards Trex.

ian4x4 said:
trex

I retired some 18 years ago, and I can assure you that if you are truly an engineer, then you will retain the interest in all things technical.

Hi ian4x4,

"Truly" an engineer. Do you doubt me sir? I hope :? those people that ring me to build and fix their machinery do not. :lol:

Yes I know I will retain a "interest in all things technical". :geek: But I more meant do you miss the daily grind of being a "working" engineer"?

Like the early starts, late finishes, trying to solve a problem that sometimes seem insurmountable etc etc. when on a project that may have time and cost restraints.

I know that some people may say "why would anyone miss that"?

Well I think I might. :? Not sure. :? I do love the challenge at the moment. :D

ian4x4 said:
I have solved my desire to 'tinker' by volunteering to restore old aircraft at the Helicopter Museum.
http://www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk/
Now that does look very interesting to me . As a aviation enthusiast myself I definitely would like doing something like that. :D Looks like a great Museum. :)
ian4x4 said:
The bonus is that I meet up with other like minded 'old boys' and we put the world to rights over our coffee breaks.

Engineers do win, in the end!!

:lol: :lol:

Yes we do the same here in our coffee breaks. If they let us engineers in charge of governments etc their would be no constant griping about some problem.

We would just bloody well jump in there and fix it. :cool: :lol:

Regards Trex.

Hi Tree
Yes, we are members of two Triumph clubs, Triumph Speed Six Club (TSSC) and Club Triumph.
I am also a member of the CX-GL forum that covers my CX500 Custom.

Dusz said:
Hi Tree
Yes, we are members of two Triumph clubs, Triumph Speed Six Club (TSSC) and Club Triumph.
I am also a member of the CX-GL forum that covers my CX500 Custom.
I always thought it was the Triumph Sports Six Club :) (Having been a member with a Spitfire and GT6)

Back