Highest MPG

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigN

So, I'm not egotistical enough to think this is anywhere near the high-water mark for MPG but I was thoroughly impressed with getting 157.4mpg out of a 22.5 mile drive today when not trying at all, having ACC, rear demister, stereo on loud with bluetooth, etc. The ICE only really kicked in once when I went onto the main dual carriageway and put my foot down to accelerate.
IMG_2708.jpg

What's the highest that people have had out of their car in normal use and when sweating efficiency over the full battery distance?

I'm not sure that this is a meaningful question without being far more specific about the test conditions. In warm weather and within the EV range, it is not too difficult to get infinite mpg.

maby said:
I'm not sure that this is a meaningful question without being far more specific about the test conditions. In warm weather and within the EV range, it is not too difficult to get infinite mpg.
Fair enough, I'm just looking in a non-scientific way to see what the highest MPG figure people have seen is, beyond infinite when only on EV.

Today, I had to go 19.1 miles, 13C, 70mph driving most of the way and tried my best to see what figure I got. The battery drained 1m from the site, the car showed 213.8mph when I stopped. Plugged into on-site CHAdeMO and back to enough to get me home again almost entirely on EV.

I'm still new enough to these cars to get a bit of a buzz with those figures.

CraigN said:
maby said:
Fair enough, I'm just looking in a non-scientific way to see what the highest MPG figure people have seen is, beyond infinite when only on EV.

Today, I had to go 19.1 miles, 13C, 70mph driving most of the way and tried my best to see what figure I got. The battery drained 1m from the site, the car showed 213.8mph when I stopped. Plugged into on-site CHAdeMO and back to enough to get me home again almost entirely on EV.

Well the highest figure most of us in the UK will see is 99.9mpg because dodgy firmware made that the maximum it could display. Only those with pretty recent cars can see higher.

Hello CraigN, I understand that you are just enjoying the car and the new experiences that it provides, I am just the same and new to the car and fully enjoying the new experience that the PHEV introduces. I also understand that some forum members take results to the absolute Meter Per Gallon, and as a retired aircraft propulsion engineer I fully understand where they are coming from and what they hope to achieve (I'm not having a go and still look forward to reading everyone's views), but transversely they need to realise that some forum members are here for the ride and are just enjoying and trying to understand what a fantastic and radically different experience that the Outlander PHEV provides in general terms. At the end of the day we have all bought into the new technology, for whatever reason, company car or private purchase, and whatever part of the world you live in, still working or retired, and we are all finding our feet with a brilliant new technologically advanced bit of kit.

My best MPG without being completely in EV and infinite is 86.2 mpg, my problem is that I still enjoy planting my right foot and watching the surprised looks from the driver behind who thinks i'm driving the equivalent of a milk float :lol: (obviously first selecting charge, so that the ICE is running).

maby said:
Well the highest figure most of us in the UK will see is 99.9mpg because dodgy firmware made that the maximum it could display. Only those with pretty recent cars can see higher.
Mine is a 2016 model and must have a later firmware!

I've noticed a substantial difference in the efficiency and economy of the thing with the warmer weather in my rather sheltered part of England (I live in Suffolk but driving in Essex most of the time). For a start, the ICE doesn't unnecessarily and annoyingly kick in when I start the car.

Sumpy said:
Hello CraigN, I understand that you are just enjoying the car and the new experiences that it provides, I am just the same and new to the car and fully enjoying the new experience that the PHEV introduces. I also understand that some forum members take results to the absolute Meter Per Gallon, and as a retired aircraft propulsion engineer I fully understand where they are coming from and what they hope to achieve (I'm not having a go and still look forward to reading everyone's views), but transversely they need to realise that some forum members are here for the ride and are just enjoying and trying to understand what a fantastic and radically different experience that the Outlander PHEV provides in general terms. At the end of the day we have all bought into the new technology, for whatever reason, company car or private purchase, and whatever part of the world you live in, still working or retired, and we are all finding our feet with a brilliant new technologically advanced bit of kit.

My best MPG without being completely in EV and infinite is 86.2 mpg, my problem is that I still enjoy planting my right foot and watching the surprised looks from the driver behind who thinks i'm driving the equivalent of a milk float :lol: (obviously first selecting charge, so that the ICE is running).
I've previously had sporty cars or ones with big diesel engines so this is taking a bit of time to get used to. Strangely enough, it's most efficient when I drive it to track standards, e.g. brake on straight, accelerate round corners, etc. The nice heavy low-down weight makes it very easy to corner in and gives reassurance to put the foot down round corners.

Well according to 'fuelly' my lifetime average mpg is 172.7mpg, which I think is the highest from the UK apart from 'harryp' whose average is 174.2mpg :evil: :evil: But as his last recorded fill-up was October 2015, I think I must be in the lead now :lol: :lol:

CraigN said:

I've previously had sporty cars or ones with big diesel engines so this is taking a bit of time to get used to. Strangely enough, it's most efficient when I drive it to track standards, e.g. brake on straight, accelerate round corners, etc. The nice heavy low-down weight makes it very easy to corner in and gives reassurance to put the foot down round corners.

when it comes to fuel consumption, I think you have to view the PHEV as two different cars in the same body shell. Within the EV range and at moderate speeds, you drive it gently to maximise EV range and reduce the probability of the engine starting. Outside the EV range and at higher speeds, it becomes a petrol car with electric transmission and the driving rules become much closer to those that apply to a conventional car.

CraigN said:
[ the car showed 213.8mph when I stopped.

I'm not surprised you get a "buzz" at speeds of over 200mph :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sumpy said:

Quick note to myself - Don't post messages whilst really tired, as you make basic errors like spelling metre the American way :oops:

My car only shows up to 99.9mpg, does anyone know if the dealers can update the firmware to correct this?

Sumpy said:
Quick note to myself - Don't post messages whilst really tired, as you make basic errors like spelling metre the American way :oops:

My car only shows up to 99.9mpg, does anyone know if the dealers can update the firmware to correct this?

Interesting ... clearly some MMCS can show more then 99.9mpg ... I need to check on mine, since currently I'm at 1.8l/100km that is 130mpg .. so, by changing to MPG I can see if my MMCS is as bugged as yours

Somebody did refer that MMCS firmware update is possible ... but if this can be done on our own, or this can be done by an authorized service ... I don't know.

My MMCS has tons of bugs ... so if this could be corrected by a fresh firmware , it will be nice

I regularly see ---.- which is over 999.9 during the week as I am usually in EV range commuting

My average fuelly is a lot lower because weekend I regularly exceed EV range

I'm currently on holiday with no charging facilities for first time since buying last September and getting 35-40 mpg using petrol for 6 days now sightseeing - I'm really happy with this as it's well over figures I used to achieve with diesel Land Rovers

jdsx said:
Well according to 'fuelly' my lifetime average mpg is 172.7mpg, which I think is the highest from the UK apart from 'harryp' whose average is 174.2mpg :evil: :evil: But as his last recorded fill-up was October 2015, I think I must be in the lead now :lol: :lol:

I'm catching up with you jdsx - Fuelly reckons I'm at 162.4mpg currently, but it doesn't know about the last 400 miles I did... The lifetime average on the MMCS says somewhere over 175mpg now with 3400 miles on the clock so far.

It's generally pretty unusual for me to see anything under 200mpg reported for my daily commute... If I'm not too heavy with my right foot when getting on the motorway then I mostly hit infinity mpg.... It's not that I drive like a nun... just that I don't do much driving except for my daily commute and that is just within the battery range.

Fecn said:
I'm catching up with you jdsx - Fuelly reckons I'm at 162.4mpg currently, but it doesn't know about the last 400 miles I did... The lifetime average on the MMCS says somewhere over 175mpg now with 3400 miles on the clock so far.

It's generally pretty unusual for me to see anything under 200mpg reported for my daily commute... If I'm not too heavy with my right foot when getting on the motorway then I mostly hit infinity mpg.... It's not that I drive like a nun... just that I don't do much driving except for my daily commute and that is just within the battery range.

Well if you've managed that over the winter, you should definitely see it improve over the summer! I expect my average to take a dip over Easter when I'm taking her for a long run, although I've been toying with the idea of hiring a Tesla for a week instead :eek: :eek:

elm70 said:
Sumpy said:

Interesting ... clearly some MMCS can show more then 99.9mpg ... I need to check on mine, since currently I'm at 1.8l/100km that is 130mpg .. so, by changing to MPG I can see if my MMCS is as bugged as yours

Somebody did refer that MMCS firmware update is possible ... but if this can be done on our own, or this can be done by an authorized service ... I don't know.

My MMCS has tons of bugs ... so if this could be corrected by a fresh firmware , it will be nice

Just changed settings krom km to miles, and also my PHEV shows max 99.9mpg

Anybody knows how to upgrade the mmcs firmware?

After messing around with it since my earlier posts, I now know it's just a figure really until you've completely burned the battery but today I got this after a 15 mile round trip;
IMG_2751_1.jpg

It really does amuse me though having those sorts of figures whether they mean anything or not. I do like winding up a friend of mine who has the Volvo V60 plug-in hybrid and barely gets 25-30mpg.

I have done similar winding up of a friend with a Prius.

My Barina (Opel Coursa B Sport) had better fuel economy than her Prius.

I imagine that Prius owners would be very annoyed at what a great car we have.

:lol:

AndyInOz said:
I have done similar winding up of a friend with a Prius.

My Barina (Opel Coursa B Sport) had better fuel economy than her Prius.

I imagine that Prius owners would be very annoyed at what a great car we have.

:lol:

that depends on your pattern of usage - our PHEV replaced a Prius - we get more or less the same fuel consumption - but the PHEV is a significantly larger car, of course.

I regularly see infinite mpg but it's meaningless really as even using electric there is a cost unless you're lucky enough to charge free/off grid

What interests me more is total cost including electric used

By calculating mileage, fuel fill to fill and electric I've got a figure of almost 140 mpg using petrol and if I include cost of £27 for electric over same period reckon that's equivalent to roughly 80 mpg which will do nicely

It would of cost £180 for diesel and just over £40 for RFL/VED on my RR Sport so if I save around £150 every month I will be very happy :mrgreen:

Back