Distance travelled : Electric vs Petrol

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonLass

Is there any way to access the lifetime distance or time travelled on Electric or Petrol? It would be interesting to know over time what the ratio is.

Hypothetically if you were looking at buying a used (high mileage?) PHEV in the years to come what would your ideal ratio be?

As far as I know, the Ev ratio is shown as average in a calendar day.

I don't think it is stored anywhere nor aggregated.

If I have to choose a 2nd hand PHEV based on this info, I will pick the one that has the highest EV % usage :

eMotor should have longer life then ICE .. also on this PHEV .. the eMotors are always moving when the car is moving .. only the ICE can get "a rest"

So when the car is running in EV mode it does wear less elements then when it is running using ICE

elm70 said:

eMotor should have longer life then ICE .. also on this PHEV .. the eMotors are always moving when the car is moving .. only the ICE can get "a rest"

Very true - and the question needs to be rephrased to be more meaningful. At speeds below about 40mph, the car is always being driven by electricity - the only question is where that electricity is coming from. I don't think the instrumentation built into the car provides a meaningful answer on the subject - you can start out on a long journey with a flat battery and arrive at the other end with the dash showing 30 or 40% EV. Clearly, all the distance travelled has been powered by burning petrol, but sufficient charge has been generated during the journey to turn the engine off 30% of the time.

maby said:
Very true - and the question needs to be rephrased to be more meaningful. At speeds below about 40mph, the car is always being driven by electricity - the only question is where that electricity is coming from. I don't think the instrumentation built into the car provides a meaningful answer on the subject - you can start out on a long journey with a flat battery and arrive at the other end with the dash showing 30 or 40% EV. Clearly, all the distance travelled has been powered by burning petrol, but sufficient charge has been generated during the journey to turn the engine off 30% of the time.

Very correct observation.

The engine has been consumed for the energy needed for drive the distance.

But it has been off for some percentage of the driving time.

We are used to consider car (and engine) consumption in km / distance travel by the car
But there is also the "power" factor .. that is maybe more relevant ... make X km at 25% ICE power or same X km but at 75% power, I guess it make a substantial difference in the engine wearing.

Anyhow .. all is very theoretical ...

For me the practice is following:
Outlander PHEV has been designed in a conservative way ... under powered eMotor (at least with limited torque at low RPM) .. and using a "old" 2L block designed for turbo without the turbo
The PHEV is fully automated, so no gearing wearing, no clutch wearing, etc

I'm quite sure the Outlander PHEV "power train"should be able to last over 500.000 km without any special maintenance

My PHEV has already over 125.000 km on the clock .. so I wish I'm just at its 25% of total life ;)

LondonLass said:
Is there any way to access the lifetime distance or time travelled on Electric or Petrol? It would be interesting to know over time what the ratio is.

Hypothetically if you were looking at buying a used (high mileage?) PHEV in the years to come what would your ideal ratio be?

You could get a fair indication if you look at the trip meter and select manual. Provided it has not been reset recently, the average fuel consumption will show if the car has been driven mainly on battery. A figure below 7l/100km would support this.

Back