Thinking of buying. lots of questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maby said:
Well, there is certainly more technology involved, but I don't think that the result is any "smarter" than the Defender. Modern Defenders have locks on the centre and rear diff at least - don't they also have front diff locks? They also have the low ratio transfer box, so you have a pretty wide range of control over how power gets delivered to the ground. The PHEV has no locks on either axle and the centre diff lock is "virtual" - if you lose traction on either axle, the available power is halved because it can't be transferred to the other axle.

As someone who owns 2 defenders i'll bow down to your superior knowledge

thinfourth said:
maby said:
Well, there is certainly more technology involved, but I don't think that the result is any "smarter" than the Defender. Modern Defenders have locks on the centre and rear diff at least - don't they also have front diff locks? They also have the low ratio transfer box, so you have a pretty wide range of control over how power gets delivered to the ground. The PHEV has no locks on either axle and the centre diff lock is "virtual" - if you lose traction on either axle, the available power is halved because it can't be transferred to the other axle.

As someone who owns 2 defenders i'll bow down to your superior knowledge

That's just greedy! I've owned half a dozen Defenders, but never more than one at a time! :lol:

thinfourth said:
We tend to fit everything either permanently with winter tyres (no we haven't died yet) or swap wheels over. How upset does the car get if you don't bother with tyre pressure sensors? i have eyeballs and can tell when the wheel has a flat bit.

What is the smallest wheel that will fit as MASSIVE alloys look great in the showroom but are utterly pants everywhere else?

Sorry about late response, only read the thread now.

These two questions I can provide some feedback. Regarding TPM it will show a message on the dashboard which is quite annoying as you'll have to press a button for some time to be able to access other information. This every time becomes cumbersome. Ideally ensure your sensors are programmed in the car (needs to be done at the dealer. From what I understand no simple user procedure) or think about installing cloned TPM sensors in the new wheels. Here you can see my experience with it in the past:

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2997

Regarding the wheel size, here in Portugal (and from what I read, it seems the same everywhere) the PHEV is registered to allow 2 wheel sizes: 225/55R18 and 215/70R16. In the link above you can see both.

Hope it still helps almost a month late :)

Back