What Have You Done To Your PHEV Today?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Top of the world, Ma" - finally achieved my ambition of driving from home in Clapham to Southend and back all on EV - 93 miles.

3 charges - 2 Rapid at Dartford Tunnel Services and a Fast in Southend (all free) and a light right foot. Also used CC to travel at 50mph on A13 rather than the permitted 70 and 40mph on the urban expressway between Dagenham & Canning Town. Although I was down to zero charge after about 20 miles (as expected with Rapid) from Dartford in both directions (so only just made it :eek: ) I also still had a few miles of charge left each way when arriving at Dartford, so must have been getting close to 30 miles worth from the full charges. The Dartford charging stops and not driving at the speed limit added about 30 minutes each way.

Total cost of journey, my overnight charge at home (£1.50?) plus a coffee & doughnut at the services on the way out but offset by the reduced 50p prawn salad from M&S there, on the way back, for my supper this evening - say £5 the lot - compared to the £20 of petrol my Avensis would have cost me :D

greendwarf said:
"Top of the world, Ma" - finally achieved my ambition of driving from home in Clapham to Southend and back all on EV - 93 miles.

3 charges - 2 Rapid at Dartford Tunnel Services and a Fast in Southend (all free) and a light right foot. Also used CC to travel at 50mph on A13 rather than the permitted 70 and 40mph on the urban expressway between Dagenham & Canning Town. Although I was down to zero charge after about 20 miles (as expected with Rapid) from Dartford in both directions (so only just made it :eek: ) I also still had a few miles of charge left each way when arriving at Dartford, so must have been getting close to 30 miles worth from the full charges. The Dartford charging stops and not driving at the speed limit added about 30 minutes each way.

Total cost of journey, my overnight charge at home (£1.50?) plus a coffee & doughnut at the services on the way out but offset by the reduced 50p prawn salad from M&S there, on the way back, for my supper this evening - say £5 the lot - compared to the £20 of petrol my Avensis would have cost me :D

Good effort!

If it had been me, I would have been tempted to plug it in again after the rapid finished and go for 100%, I know not good for the battery but that's not my problem ;) oh and I would never eat any prawn unless I cooked it myself, but otherwise it sounded like a good day :cool:

BobEngineer said:
If it had been me, I would have been tempted to plug it in again after the rapid finished and go for 100%, I know not good for the battery but that's not my problem ;) oh and I would never eat any prawn unless I cooked it myself, but otherwise it sounded like a good day :cool:

Didn't think of that but as I'm a private owner and expect to keep it for about 10 years, probably not worth the risk - especially as 80% was just enough. I might, however, try upping the speed on the towards Dartford sections next time to utilise the apparent "surplus" battery on those :cool:

BobEngineer said:
If it had been me, I would have been tempted to plug it in again after the rapid finished and go for 100%
Would that actually achieve anything? I'd assumed (with no real knowledge and certainly no proof) that the fast chargers will take the battery up to a certain state of charge (~80%) and then stop. So an immediate repeat would just charge for a few seconds and then stop again.

Any brave person tried this?

ChrisMiller said:
BobEngineer said:
If it had been me, I would have been tempted to plug it in again after the rapid finished and go for 100%
Would that actually achieve anything? I'd assumed (with no real knowledge and certainly no proof) that the fast chargers will take the battery up to a certain state of charge (~80%) and then stop. So an immediate repeat would just charge for a few seconds and then stop again.

Any brave person tried this?

There is a SOC level, can't remember what it is that below it the charger will take you to 80% then stop, above it the charger will take you all the way to 100%, I have actually seen this work myself on my own PHEV. I suspect 80% from the previous charge is more than enough to coax it to go to 100. Might have been good for another 5 miles..

When a vehicle is on the DC side the display is easy to read, showing the percentage of charge reached. But struggling to understand it when something is plugged in the AC side to try and judge how long they have left to go, as it then seems to show a count up of minutes its been online, it could be any amount of time left!

That's useful to know, Bob. I wonder why, in that case, it doesn't charge up to 100% every time - is it because it would take too long?

I've only ever used a fast charger once, just because of the nature and location of most of my driving, so I'm only asking from curiosity!

ChrisMiller said:
That's useful to know, Bob. I wonder why, in that case, it doesn't charge up to 100% every time - is it because it would take too long?

I've only ever used a fast charger once, just because of the nature and location of most of my driving, so I'm only asking from curiosity!

I believe its simply to protect the battery from stress, getting too hot and probably to keep the charge time reasonable, I suppose as you just shoved loads of power in then go off driving hard straight hard it could get a bit much (I always take it easy for a while after rapid charging). The 80% target apples to any DC vehicle not just the Outlander.

Not long after getting my Ecotricity card I went to do my first charge (test run!) even though I had a quite high SOC from home and was surprised when it went to 100% but it still took a while.

Today I had my Rolec fitted, and while that was happening I changed the DRL's for led bulbs. I used the following...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XWBB77E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0EKLxbBAN1FSA

And

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016W35M6K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_zHKLxbKMXNM0A

The first light took me about an hour - the second one 15 mins!

Look fantastic - much better than the captive fireflies fitted as standard.

The app says the Rolec will charge from empty to full in 3 hours.....we shall see!

I love it when a plan comes together :)

SimHo said:
Today I had my Rolec fitted, and while that was happening I changed the DRL's for led bulbs. I used the following...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XWBB77E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_0EKLxbBAN1FSA

And

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016W35M6K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_zHKLxbKMXNM0A

The first light took me about an hour - the second one 15 mins!

Look fantastic - much better than the captive fireflies fitted as standard.

The app says the Rolec will charge from empty to full in 3 hours.....we shall see!

I love it when a plan comes together :)

Did you have your Rolec installed with the new pricing? I see they have been advertising prices from £149 and displaying all the various colour options available. I'm in the process of reviewing my options and now just to decide on tethered or un-tethered.

Plugged it in.......

...and failed miserably to work out how to change the rear wiper blade unit - never seen one that is so hard to work out - gave up as worried I was going to snap something - any tips? I've seen the obligatory youtube video and mine doesn't seem to work like it at all :?

Looking forward to handing it back in September...

It's off to the dealer for the second time in 3 months tomorrow due to the rear calipers failing again, resulting in a useless handbrake :evil:

I won't be driving a Mitsubishi again after September, thankfully

Fitted my new toy - a dashcam. So easy. I was dreading pulling headlinings apart and ripping off "A" pillar linings but all I needed was a plastic spacer to poke the cable into the lining and behind some rubber seal then through the fuse box behind the glove box. Didn't go for hard wiring so there's just a couple of visible inches of cable where it goes into the cigar(ette) lighter socket. Happy chappy. And take it form me - a dashcam can change your driving style.

I'm pretty much there now with swapping my non-MMCS head unit for a Pioneer double din. I've now got the new unit displaying my Android phone screen, including full touchscreen control.

Next up is trying to crack the riddle of getting the phone steering wheel controls to work with it......

david1972 said:
Plugged it in.......

...and failed miserably to work out how to change the rear wiper blade unit - never seen one that is so hard to work out - gave up as worried I was going to snap something - any tips? I've seen the obligatory youtube video and mine doesn't seem to work like it at all :?
You are supposed to swap out the rubber. Halfords sells sets to do so.
Many Japanese cars seem to have this system on the rear wiper blade.

You can adjust the angle of the rear seats by a small amount. All you need to do is use the release lever to adjust them.

Bladevane said:
Fitted my new toy - a dashcam. So easy. I was dreading pulling headlinings apart and ripping off "A" pillar linings but all I needed was a plastic spacer to poke the cable into the lining and behind some rubber seal then through the fuse box behind the glove box. Didn't go for hard wiring so there's just a couple of visible inches of cable where it goes into the cigar(ette) lighter socket. Happy chappy. And take it form me - a dashcam can change your driving style.

If you have sound recording switched on (I do) it can be useful as you can include extra evidence as commentary or read out number plates the camera won't see...

But beware, when you play it back how it may sound if used in court! I was shocked at myself...

"Grrr! b@stard bloody Audi driver cutting me up, I knew you would, typical stuck up arrogant @£$$"$&"

Might not help your defence!

Back