Apple CarPlay

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viaccess

I took the plunge yesterday and have ordered a PHEV 5hs, for delivery before the new UK road tax comes into force in April. One thing the dealer couldn't tell me was whether the 2017 UK model sports Apple CarPlay. Google hasn't been much help either. It's clear that CarPlay has been available in US Outlanders for some time, but not in the UK.

So, can anybody here with a 2017 Outlander tell me?

Viaccess said:
I took the plunge yesterday and have ordered a PHEV 5hs, for delivery before the new UK road tax comes into force in April. One thing the dealer couldn't tell me was whether the 2017 UK model sports Apple CarPlay. Google hasn't been much help either. It's clear that CarPlay has been available in US Outlanders for some time, but not in the UK.

Oh I wanted a 5hs but it wasn't out when I ordered my car. Good choice.

Sorry, CarPlay is only available in the UK on the PHEV Juro, not the 5hs. The Juro is a base model.

SolarBoy said:
Viaccess said:

Sorry, CarPlay is only available in the UK on the PHEV Juro, not the 5hs. The Juro is a base model.
Do you have the 2017 model? This review suggests that CarPlay HAS been added this year:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mitsubishi/outlander/93227/new-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-2017-review

From the outside, you’d have to be a serious Outlander enthusiast to spot the difference – front LED foglights and a new shark-fin antenna are the only real alterations to the exterior. Inside, there’s a revised centre console design to accommodate an electronic parking brake, some ambient lighting strips, plus extra kit on top-spec models including a heated steering wheel, 360-degree camera, rear cross-traffic alert and blind spot warning. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity has been added, too.

However this is the only reference I have found in any review - and I have been told (not just by you) that it's still only available in the US model.

Viaccess said:
SolarBoy said:
Viaccess said:

Do you have the 2017 model? This review suggests that CarPlay HAS been added this year:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mitsubishi/outlander/93227/new-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-2017-review

From the outside, you’d have to be a serious Outlander enthusiast to spot the difference – front LED foglights and a new shark-fin antenna are the only real alterations to the exterior. Inside, there’s a revised centre console design to accommodate an electronic parking brake, some ambient lighting strips, plus extra kit on top-spec models including a heated steering wheel, 360-degree camera, rear cross-traffic alert and blind spot warning. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity has been added, too.

However this is the only reference I have found in any review - and I have been told (not just by you) that it's still only available in the US model.

It would be great if it has been added, it is overdue (!) the photo in that article looks like the standard MMCS rather than the Juro unit so you'll have to let us know when it arrives!

It appears that Apple CarPlay has now been added to the range, which is good news. Someone sent me this link which has apparently been updated this Weekend:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

The 2917 Outlander range is now included.

Viaccess said:
It appears that Apple CarPlay has now been added to the range, which is good news. Someone sent me this link which has apparently been updated this Weekend:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

The 2917 Outlander range is now included.

Don't think even I'll still be alive in 900 years :lol: :lol: :lol:

In NZ the 2017 Outlander has the Smartlink and Apple Carplay, but not the PHEV. This is what I was told by Mitsi NZ. When I queried as to why, they did not have an answer.

Viaccess said:

Hi I have the 2017 model here in London got it at Christmas I too thought reading the press updates that apple CarPlay was standard along with 240 power supply sadly I can report neither is on 4 h , electric parking brake ,ev switch, blind spot assistant are standard the phone interface is terrible no call list or favourite number but nice to drive can manage my daily drive of 28 miles round trip from east London to Waterloo on overnight charge with no heater

I've noticed on the German website (http://www.mitsubishi-motors.de/plug-in-hybrid-outlander/#!alle-ausstattungsvarianten) that the mid range (called PLUS) has Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) but the top level (TOP) hasn't. It's totally illogical to me, why the more expensive and fully packed model is lacking this feature? I would go for PLUS because I don't need a sunroof or a superb audio but the PLUS has no radar (blind spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, park assist, emergency braking). So one have to choose between CarPlay and radar. Odd. Do someone now if SDA/CarPlay will be added to the top models soon? If yes I would definitely wait for that. The current top model's phone integration is a bit buggy.

I'm guessing that the higher spec models come with the MMCS which has a bunch of tailored bits of eco info about the PHEV, including the graphical representation of energy flow etc.

Is it possible to retain that with CarPlay?

If not, then it may explain why the PHEV and/or higher spec'ed models have retained the regular MMCS

Davidf said:
Hi I have the 2017 model here in London got it at Christmas I too thought reading the press updates that apple CarPlay was standard along with 240 power supply sadly I can report neither is on 4 h , electric parking brake ,ev switch, blind spot assistant are standard the phone interface is terrible no call list or favourite number but nice to drive can manage my daily drive of 28 miles round trip from east London to Waterloo on overnight charge with no heater
That's a shame and I do not understand why it's available on many of the overseas versions, but not here in the UK. You do however seem to be correct: The UK Apple CarPlay list omits the Outlander (in contrast to the International List where it's included).

I think you will find CarPlay rather useless; virtually none of your apps will work, not even the most important one, Waz. The built in navigator is practically unusable. Carplay makes you use Apples navigator which is better than the one that comes with the car but no where near good enough.

Back