Theoretical question about battery replacement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gzk

Let's assume that in 7 or 8 years time, one of the new battery technologies (eg thin film lithium, lithium–sulfur, lithium-graphene etc.) that has much higher capacity than current current Li-Ion batteries, becomes practical and affordable. And let's assume there would be after-market conversions to update PHEV's (that's a big assumption)

Does anyone know how "major" the battery replacement operation is? Is it removed via the interior (take the interior apart) or is removed from underneath - and if so, is the sub-chassis disassembled etc. Is the replacement procedure such a major operation that it's not a viable procedure ?

Wondering if anyone has any knowledge/experience on what is involved ?

Cheers !

gzk said:
Is it removed via the interior (take the interior apart) or is removed from underneath - and if so, is the sub-chassis disassembled etc.
Underneath.

gzk said:
Is the replacement procedure such a major operation that it's not a viable procedure ?
Owners have removed and replaced the battery in both the PHEV and the iMiEV which has a very similar battery (88 cells instead of 80) and mounted in exactly the same way.

eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcL4UvGvWkA

A guy who has removed the PHEV battery and increased its capacity -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRd-o8tUVHc

I'm wondering if the PHEV battery is inside the car frame .. or it is mounted under the car like on the iMIEV

But based on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9fDbwF1K0

I think is possibly mounted like the iMIEV, under the car.

This implies it is something possible only with a special garage equipments and with a team of people involved .. that sound "expensive" to me.

Battery trend is for 150USD and less for each kwh of Lithium battery ... that mean the battery cost for a new 12kwh battery can be as low as 1800USD .. but ... work on the car can be as expensive as 1000USD too for such operation

For me ... the cheapest solution when battery degradation can become an issue .. possibly is to work out the way to add an additional battery pack (1kwh or 2kwh in parallel to the main pack)

elm70 said:
I'm wondering if the PHEV battery is inside the car frame .. or it is mounted under the car like on the iMIEV

I think is possibly mounted like the iMIEV, under the car.

This implies it is something possible only with a special garage equipments and with a team of people involved .. that sound "expensive" to me.
I would think "under the car" would be much more easy to handle then "inside the car frame" would be.

anko said:
I would think "under the car" would be much more easy to handle then "inside the car frame" would be.

Yes, with the right tools and the station for lift the car, possibly is more easy to take out the battery as single block from under the car

Otherwise it would require to remove the car cabin floor and handle the big battery cover

But ... without the tools and the lift station get access to the car battery is looking mission impossible .. and get access to these tools sound relative expensive too

Judging from the video I attached above ... with the visible 4+4 side mounting points .. I'm now quite sure this battery can be access only by removing it from under the car .. so ... game over for pure DIY

How's this for DIY, assuming you own some bare land:

1) Get a shovel 1h to local hardware store
2) Dig 1.5m wide trench, 1.5m deep. This will take 1 or 2 days. I recommend you get a handcart as well to haul the dirt away.
3) reinforce with brick and concrete so it does not collapse. 1 day
4) roll PHEV longitudinally over the trench. 5 minutes
5) Jump in trench. 1 minute
6) unscrew battery ensuring it is resting on a crosswise supported plank with dragging wheels on each side. 15 minutes? I did not see the video
7) roll plank+battery longitudinally over trench until the end. 10 minutes to ensure safety.

To assemble back, go in reverse order up to step 4)

Seems quite a nice DIY project. And you gain a nice car pit for future projects!

Cheers :)

Back