How much electricty have you used?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonLass

I've had a home charger fitted for about 2 years, and that's what i use 99% of the time. Just checked the meter attached to it and i've used 3550 units, so that's about £355 pounds worth of electricity. I make that about £15 a month over the 24 months. Am I right in saying though that with electricity costing between a third and a quarter of the petrol equivalent i've saved between £700 and £1000 in that time? This is all for average mileage of about 10k miles per year. So if you were thinking of buying and wanted relatively long term costs for electricity costs/petrol savings that's been my experience.

Good figures.
We plug in every night and based on the worst possible scenario use 365 days at 10kwh/night so 3650kWh/year.

Yes I know that's an over simplification as we don't use the car every day and many days don't use all the available charge but it gives the maximum that the car uses. That maximum costs us about £438/year and would equate to about 7300 miles.

I suspect though that business users provided with company PHEVs are more interested in their 'tax' savings than the cost of 'fuel' than those of us who run our cars using our own cash! :lol:

I was trying to get my head around a calculation if I could tell what split between petrol and battery i've used given the usage. I think I read that its about 3 miles per kwh, so i've done about 11k miles on battery power? Considering the bulk of the time was in my 3h model before I changed to a 4hs i might see that go up a bit as time goes by.

We don't have a separate meter on the charging point and the additional consumption since we bought the car has not been enough to notice.

After 7 months of ownership and 5500 miles covered
1125KWh of charging+preheating at home (@9.82 pence per KWh) = £110.48
~800Kwh of charging+preheating at work (Free) = £0
100.94 litres of petrol = £119.22

So total costs for 5500 miles comes in at £229.70

In my old 3-litre diesel 7-seater van (~25mpg), the same 5500 miles would have cost me ~ £1344.44 (based on the fact I'd get about 270 miles out of its 55-litre tank)

I've had mine about 15 months, and have used 3672 KwH according to the meter on the dedicated charging point.

I pay about 11p per unit, so thats a total cost of £404, or about £27 per month.

As a very rough estimate, that works out at about 367 full charges of the car, and with each charge getting an average of, say, 18 miles (obviously higher in summer, lower in winter) that means I have been able to drive 6600 miles on charging from the mains. If done on diesel (if I didnt have the PHEV I'd have a diesel) that would have required 137 gallons of diesel, based on my previous Qashqai averaging 48mpg. At a cost of around £5.30 per gallon, those miles would have cost me £726, so an overall saving of about £322.

In addition to that, the tax treatment of the car on my company salary sacrifice scheme saves me about £100 per month compared to an equivalent diesel SUV, so after 15 months I reckon I'm about £1800 ahead.

Oh, and I also love the car (smooth, comfortable, easy and relaxing to drive) so whats not to like ! :) :)

Edit - just realised that some of my electricity has gone on preheating, but can't be bothered re-working the figures, I'm still well ahead !!

Had mine 28 and a half months.

7579 kWh gone in it for sure (this unit I made myself and is calibrated) and was in place before the car arrived.

I managed to hold onto decent fixed rates so paying about 10/11p a unit.

02b20b93ff.jpg

So averages 265 units a month, £27 same as Geoff above, 9kWh per day, no surprise there! Its put on charge every time its on the drive, I used to get a lot of free Ecotricity charges but obviously not for a while now. I can't charge anywhere else.

I took part in some research with the local electricity utility on PHEV electricity usage and off-peak tariffs. The utility installed a dedicated digital kWh meter that recorded information in one minute increments (kW, kVar, volts, and amps). The meter was installed on 9 September 2014. As of 21 May 2017, the meter reads 5533 kWh.

This works out at 5.6kW per day on average.

However, in 2015, I was off work for three months due to a medical condition, and the PHEV was rarely driven. If this period is excluded, the daily average power consumption rises to 6.14kWh, approximately 2.24MWh per year.

Another point to consider is that my battery capacity is diminishing. By the first annual service the PHEV was only drawing 9kWh per night. In May 2017 (nearly three years after purchase), it is down to only drawing 8kWh per night.

Used 2,208kW/h in the last year, wasn't using the car charger for the first few months due to needing a longer cable.

Have generated 6,904kW/h via my solar panels so not feeling too bad :)

whynot said:
I took part in some research with the local electricity utility on PHEV electricity usage and off-peak tariffs.

I should add that as of the 21 May 2017 the vehicle has done 37007 km and used 1026 litres of fuel.

Back