Loud Squeaking noise

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogfather

Hi all, I wonder if any one has come across this with your Mitzy PHEV.

I got a loud intermittent squeaking noise coming from the front passenger wheel area. Being a quiet car I can hear it when it happens but its seems even louder when i have the window down as I listen.

I was wondering if any one has had this problem? :(

Yea doing that this weekend.

I'm wondering if its dust in the braking system?
I'm trying to identify certain times when it happens i.e. turning left, right, smooth roads, dumpy roads, braking, speeding up etc. but atm I can't pin it down.

jaapv said:
Something caught in the brake caliper or suspension?

After giving the car a good wash and giving the alloys a good clean on Saturday the noise went away until this morning when I heard it again slightly when turning left.
I think you might be right about something in the brake caliper or suspension, I'll take the wheel off and have a good look around this week.

Thanks for your help.

Had exactly this on our Qashqai, it was a stone that had flicked and very very slightly dunked the guard on the back. Must just be when turning the load and movement in the bearings was enough to make the noise.

A tweak with the screwdriver and nothing for 12months until we swapped

Ianr said:
Had exactly this on our Qashqai, it was a stone that had flicked and very very slightly dunked the guard on the back. Must just be when turning the load and movement in the bearings was enough to make the noise.

A tweak with the screwdriver and nothing for 12months until we swapped

Thanks Ianr, you are not the only one to say that, I think its time to jack the car up, off wheel and have a good look...

Ok problem is sorted, took the car down to the Mitsubishi garage and they diagnosed it as a seized read brake calliper. Luckily they were able to fix it and its all sorted now :D :D :D

So seized rear brake calipers seem to be a bit of an issue then. I'm going to have a close look at mine to see why this should occur. It's not as if the concept of a brake caliper is a new idea. A front caliper seized on my Jeep Cherokee after 17 years and 120,000 miles.

The handbrake return mechanism (one near each rear caliper) looks a bit complicated on the PHEV, maybe this could be preventing the rear caliper from fully 'returning' its piston, therefore eventually causing it to get stuck? Drum brake mechanisms are complicated too, but then a drum brake mechanism is protected from muck as it's inside the drum. The PHEV handbrake does feel a bit vague. I'm not sure if it's 'self adjusting' like so many drum brake systems are. I believe it's possible to overtighten the actual cables to the detriment of the operation of the caliper mechanism.

I seem to recollect that some Mercedes Benz cars actually have (or had in the past) a 'third' rear brake in the shape of a central drum, just for the handbrake. Perhaps an admission of defeat when it comes to disc operated handbrakes?

Hi Guys update on the loading noise and maybe a bit of advice for all...

A few days after having the calliper sorted the noise came back again. I contacted the Mitsubishi garage who booked the car in again with the intention to replace the calliper under the manufactures warranty.

I took my car into the Mitsubishi garage (Weston-Super-Mare) and their senior technician Chris started work on the car. He immediately noticed the calliper was ok, he then noticed that the tire that had been taken off was not a TOYO R37 (Mitsubishi manufacturers recommended tyre) like the other three. I assume the previous owner had a puncture and replaced the tire with a different make. But the more important thing was he noticed was the wall size on the removed tire was slightly larger than the other three TOYO R37.

After doing rotation measurements of the tire compared to one of the other tires it was noticed the odd tire was doing an extra 1.5 inches in length with every rotation. This also affected the ABS system and other electronic sensors because the two wheel on the same axle were doing two different rotation distances and thus causing the the loud noise.

After changing the tyre to a TOYO R37 I have had no other occurrences of the noise over the last week (touch wood). :)

Advice I have seen on-line from the states is that tires (sic) should always be replaced in pairs for 4WD cars - this seems to confirm it. :(

I can understand tyre manufacturers giving such advice. But it would be a tad expensive if (like me) you've just picked up a 3-inch nail in a less than half-worn tyre.

It is, but in the long run a worn differential does not come cheap either. ;)
If it is the same tyre the consequences are not too bad, however, a different brand or size is not a good idea.

The sites I was getting the advice from was when I had just such a problem and did not seem to be from either car or tire manufacturers but 4WD enthusiasts. At least I got a "spare" out of it - now if only I could afford another wheel :lol:

Not that it's now especially relevant to this thread but I've now had a close look at the handbrake mechanism at the caliper end and it looks quite well engineered really. I still plan to keep it all clean though. The brakes on my PHEV certainly creak and groan a bit like an old ship though, especially the rear brakes when the handbrake is applied (maybe I keep them too clean?). Don't think I've ever experienced that before on any other car.

I actually have a low mileage, part worn Toyo R37 spare tyre (just the tyre, not a wheel as well) that I take on long journeys, just in case I get a terminal puncture (the last puncture I experienced was a large gouge/slash on the side of the tyrewall that couldn't possibly be repaired. No idea what caused it). I believe it's not always easy to find a Toyo R37 at short notice. I paid £50 for it from a tyre dealer. I cleaned it and wrapped it in cling film to preserve it. A sort of mummification. It doesn't take up too much room in the boot and can be filled with stuff in the middle. I have it strapped down with tie-downs as I wouldn't want it to project itself forward in the event of emergency braking. Mind you, I'm not sure how robust the tie-down hooks are in a PHEV, looks as if they're made of plastic to me.

Back