Extracting useful data from your OBDII port

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

I've been considering purchasing the other app for a while, but the price and the uncertainty of whether it would work with my chinese OBDII thingy ** has not been able to commit me to it.

** I have not been able to replicate anko's results when querying the odbII with custom messages. MY dongle seems to return only the first line of the multi-line message the ODBII sends back. I played around with several AT commands, but I assume it's a limitation of the chinese thingy.

Let me know if I might be of any help.

Hey, thank you for the feedback guys.

Project is going pretty well.

App is able to retrieve data from the engine, generator, battery, front/rear motor and onboard charger control units.

It's also able to do some stats calculation for each recorded trips.

phev_whatchdog_02.jpg

I'm actually using on my daily trips and I've figured that my regen/consumption ratio is generally about 1/3...

I'll be soon starting a separate topic to post the app, anyone who's interested... be ready! ;)

Looks real nice!

What is your refresh rate?

GreyBigFoot said:
I'm actually using on my daily trips and I've figured that my regen/consumption ratio is generally about 1/3...
I guess you mean in parallel mode your engine is on 2/3 of the time and off 1/3 of the time? Or do you mean something else?

Thanks anko, I must say only possible due to your extensive efforts ;)

I'm waiting half a second before issuing the next run cycle. Each run cycle runs a list of commands requests/responses.

Not every command runs on every run cycle. For example, the request to the on board charger has a 1/10 ratio, which means it will run once on every 10 run cycles.

Priority commands like torque, RPMs and speed are running with a 1/1 ratio. Battery management unit request is 1/2.

So the refresh rate (run cycle) should be something between halt to one second.

I'm planning to make the refresh rate configurable as I suspect some chinese obd adapters won't handle well an high demand of data.

Some cool features of this app are the stats I'm adding to it, one being looking constantly at the SOC charge level and accumulating increases (Regenerated) and decreases (Consumed).
What I'm a seeing with my style of driving (pure EV) is roughly about 1/3 of regeneration of the SOC charge consumed (For example, Consumed = 25Ah, Regenerated = 8Ah)...

Let me know any other stats you would like to see, I'll look into it.

Oh, and I do have some questions for you too...

Still not sure about front/rear motor control units addresses... Is it 753/754 for front and 755/756 for rear, or the other way?

I'm seeing really high readings for the torque motors, for example:

754 10 23 61 02 28 12 51 6F => (28 12) - 10000 = 258Nm
756 10 23 61 02 28 2D 52 EE => (28 2D) - 10000 = 285Nm

I've seen at a time, a figure above 1000Nm... :s

Finally, I'm still missing the odometer reading, which is crucial for calculating part of the trip stats.

Not part of the standard PIDs, maybe hidden in mode 9? Have to look into that.

Thanks!

Did another short video on how fast my own little OBDII solution is:

https://youtu.be/jreXchYlOSM

Top left corner shows power flowing into (+) or out of (-) the battery. This video is playing at actual speed ;-)

hi there,

On what PID and how would you read out if the car is running in EV mode? I mean how can I determine if the ICE is swirched off and I am using only battery?

Thx,
Csaba

csabibme said:
hi there,

On what PID and how would you read out if the car is running in EV mode? I mean how can I determine if the ICE is swirched off and I am using only battery?

Thx,
Csaba
What would be wrong with good old RPM? Standard available on all OBD compliant cars.

Hi all,

I would like to read internal temperature from HVAC ECU, as I'm working on own solution preventing ICE to stop starting while heating in winter. As was written on forum internal temp sensor should indicate approx. 15'C when accurate temp is lower.
Do anyone can supply me with ECU address of HVAC and PID?

thanks in advance,
Kuba

kakish said:
Hi all,

I would like to read internal temperature from HVAC ECU, as I'm working on own solution preventing ICE to stop starting while heating in winter. As was written on forum internal temp sensor should indicate approx. 15'C when accurate temp is lower.
Do anyone can supply me with ECU address of HVAC and PID?

thanks in advance,
Kuba
Of course we can :geek:

All below are in degree C. In all cases, send your request to address 0x688. Expect a response from address 0x511.

Interior Temperature,Interior, A/4-16, PID 2110
Coolant Temperature,Coolant, E-40, PID 2110
Ambient Temperature,Ambient, A/2-40, PID 2111
Heater Outlet, E*0.6-23, PID 2111
Heater Inlet, D*0.6-23, PID 2111

anko said:
csabibme said:
hi there,

Thx,
Csaba
What would be wrong with good old RPM? Standard available on all OBD compliant cars.

Yeah you're right although I think in my app the EV sign will come up even the ignition is off. So I think I should give it two conditions: 1- RPM=0 and ignition=on. BTW how can I cathch ignition (what PID)? :)

Cs.

anko said:
I think with ignition off, you will not get anything from the ICE ECU. So, your adapter will return NO DATA or something like that. Does that help?

Yes, I think it makes sense to catch if it is <> "NO DATA" Thx Anko.
BTW I am now working on putting together an Android App that would show some most necessary info which are normally available with in the multi-information display by pushing menu button in iteration. So on the first run I'd like to see

- drive mode (EV, IcE)
- Av. consumption
- Curr. consumption
- range available (with battery)
- range available (wiht fuel + batt.)

Actually I am trying to get bits and pieces only from the list in your first post here.
If you have some hints on how to get the above information (what pids and formulas I should use), I'd highly appreciate your efforts. ;)
Any ideas from all PHEV fans are welcome!

Csaba

anko said:
Are you trying to build PHEVWatchDog?

No, but similar in functionality. I love WatchDog, but I'd like to see the info on one single page. When driving it is not very safe sliding separate screens back and force. WatchDog is much more sofisticated than what i need, I only use it when occasionally measuring parameters.

anko said:
I think with ignition off, you will not get anything from the ICE ECU. So, your adapter will return NO DATA or something like that. Does that help?

Haven't you sold your PHEV? :)

Just a thought from a new (3 weeks) owner in New Zealand, has anyone considered writing data into the BMU to tell it the battery is LESS Degraded than it thinks. :D Seems to me that the dealer equipment (MUT3) does just that albeit as part of a reset and at the end of DBCAM procedure.

Is it possible via WiFi or BT dongle? Is there a danger of Bricking the car by doing so? :cry:

Pomst said:
Next thing I am trying to do is detect if I can make the car turn the wheel by it self.

There is no servo/actuator on the PHEV steering (just passive steering angle), so I guess you will be adding one to achieve that?

Back