very short journeys

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Austen
Please post the results of your review as I am on the same tariff wit EDF. I also have solar panels on a south facing roof. Over the past year not only have I increased my electricity usage with the car but last October we also converted from oil-fired CH to an air source heat pump.

Dusz said:
Austen
Please post the results of your review as I am on the same tariff wit EDF. I also have solar panels on a south facing roof. Over the past year not only have I increased my electricity usage with the car but last October we also converted from oil-fired CH to an air source heat pump.

I am with British Gas for gas. Strangely BG are cheaper for electricity est. £548 pa compared to 628pa withEDF whereas EDF are cheaper for gas est. £727pa against £879pa with BG. I will probably switch accordingly.

I still can't decide on an Outlander though, I have a 1 year old RAV4 hybrid doing 45mpg average and on a run when it can use the battery a lot it will go to 50+mpg however once I start doing the very short journeys to the park with the dog I think the consumption will go through the floor as the ICE will be on more.

There are 2 things holding me back;

1) It's probably financial madness as I could buy a lot of petrol for the cost of changing...............but what the heck it's only money.

2) On the technical side as I would have to keep it for a few years ( I can't keep changing cars!!) so will the battery hold out?

I would have to get a pre April 2017 model as paying VED makes even less financial sense (£20 pa on the RAV)

I just don't know.

Austen,
My tuppence -
1. You are right. A few mpg difference will be immaterial, unless you are doing galactic mileage, compared to the cost to change. Depreciation is the major cost in cars.
2. On the battery, I have a 3 year old car and have looked at this issue closely. All the evidence suggests that they are robust and last well. However do look carefully when buying second hand. I had a Hertz Hire PHEV last year (which I'm guessing had been regularly/exclusively fast charged) and its range was about two thirds of mine.
The good news is that there seems to be a glut of 2016 cars with 5-15k in the dealerships so plenty to get a good deal on.
You sound like the optimal user - short trips predominantly and charge at home.
Good luck

Austen said:
Dusz said:
Austen

I am with British Gas for gas. Strangely BG are cheaper for electricity est. £548 pa compared to 628pa withEDF whereas EDF are cheaper for gas est. £727pa against £879pa with BG. I will probably switch accordingly.

I still can't decide on an Outlander though, I have a 1 year old RAV4 hybrid doing 45mpg average and on a run when it can use the battery a lot it will go to 50+mpg however once I start doing the very short journeys to the park with the dog I think the consumption will go through the floor as the ICE will be on more.

There are 2 things holding me back;

1) It's probably financial madness as I could buy a lot of petrol for the cost of changing...............but what the heck it's only money.

2) On the technical side as I would have to keep it for a few years ( I can't keep changing cars!!) so will the battery hold out?

I would have to get a pre April 2017 model as paying VED makes even less financial sense (£20 pa on the RAV)

I just don't know.
Obviously the financials are different for each individual situation, but in general charging at home is 4-6 times cheaper than using petrol. You can get the cost down even more if you should decide to switch to solar.
I would not worry too much about the battery. It appears that Mitsubishi's expectation of it being good/acceptable for ten years at least will be met. Just make sure that you get a car that has not been on rapid chargers.
You should ask for a battery condition test before buying. If it is refused, walk away.

"I would not worry too much about the battery. It appears that Mitsubishi's expectation of it being good/acceptable for ten years at least will be met. Just make sure that you get a car that has not been on rapid chargers.
You should ask for a battery condition test before buying. If it is refused, walk away."

From what I have read on this forum the battery range is a computation, one of the factors being how the vehicle has been used.

Having said that, if looking at a used ( 1 year old) PHEV and asked the dealer to give a full (slow) charge before the visit (and at this time of year, Uk temperature around 16C) is there a minimum range value that might be acceptable?

Also would the battery condition test reveal numerous fast charges?

BTW thanks for all replies so far, very much appreciated.

Austen said:
pedroucos said:
Also, if the puppy grows into a large dog it will still fit in the PHEV. ;)

It will be a German Shephed so I will be a bit upset if it doesn't grow :)

You'll even have room for a few large sacks of dog food if you push the rear seats down!

My suggestions -
1. Not an expert on this (but others here are). There is some sort of charge retention/capacity test that a dealer with the right kit can perform. I have read posts on it. Perhaps someone can help?
2. Usual common sense - lower mileage the better (here I would avoid newer but higher mileage vehicles) and, to the extent you can check, I would favour registered addresses (on V5) which are likely to have home chargers.

On 1. above, EVBatMon is what you need.
If it were me, I'd invest in it (with OBD lead) and use it to check any PHEV you look at.

I spoke to a dealer today who offered me a reasonable trade in for my RAV4 and I will take a PHEV test drive next week.

I asked about a battery check and he said there was no need?

Also the car I he was suggesting was a 4H that had been previously used by Mitsubishi Management - is this a good or bad thing?

I have changed my electricity supplier from EDF to British Gas, the tariff dropped from 16.04 to 12.39 per Kwh.

Thanks for the info, if I finder a dealer that will run the test I'll know what to look for.

I went for a test drive last week in a 4H, it consisted of motorway and country roads and I think it was planned to match the battery capacity.

The car performed perfectly and the ICE did not start until I provoked it at the request of the sales person.

I did question the availability of battery test data but was told this was not available (it was a main dealer).

gwatpe said:
I would be looking for the %SOH, and total battery Ah. a new battery is about 39Ah.
More like 37, actually. ;)

Battery test data are available at any Mitsubishi dealer. Non-disclosure is a red flag.
My 2013 model, 80.000 km (50.000 miles) has 32 Ah. I find that on the low side, but according to my dealer it is within the normal range. I charge about ten times a week.

Back