Fast Charger cable - economically viable?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phev2016 said:
Chris,
It will be good to see how you get on with the cable in/out of the boot each time.

Hi Chris, the socketed Chargemaster box has the same profile as the tethered version. So I just treat it as if it is thethered. I leave the cable plugged in to the Chargemaster socket, wrap the cable round the box and then plug the type 1 socket into a blank plug holder that I purchased on the internet from EV Cable. I would put up a photo but haven't worked out how to do that yet. I only detach the cable and put it in the boot if I think I may be using a public charger. This system works fine for me. I guess the only risk is that some light fingered local wide boy may decide to pinch the cable. I live in darkest Dorset so am hoping this will not happen.

Austen said:
Hi Chris

I have a late 3H+ which has the sat nav and the apple car play but I don't see a way to display charging cost, the only info I get is charging time.

How are you seeing charging cost without an MMCS?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have an 2017 Juro which I believe superceded the 3H+. Mine has a system called "Smartphone Link Display Audio". I do not know if your late 3H+ has the same system. Anyway my display has two pages of top level touch activated icons: DAB radio, FM, AM, Phone, etc. On the second page is one titled "Charging Cost". This takes you to a page that allows you to set your cost of electricity per kWh. In my case that is 12p per kWh. The page also allows you to view long term charging history and short term history. I have read elsewhere on this forum that people who prefer to know the actual kWh charged set the cost of electricity at 1 per kWh. Even if your car has a different display system I would be surprised if these pages are not available somewhere in your menu structure.

Cheers Chris

Phev2016 said:
Chris,
I just checked and the car is faithfully recording each charge but only displays as a cost and not kWh which I find odd. Your car will be the latest version with uprated software so perhaps there is a bug. Even if you are missing charges I think it will be a small price to pay because you have Apple CarPlay or the Android Auto, both of which are light years ahead of the rubbish MMCS system for satnav and phone. The EV only switch must be great too as you can accelerate hard without the engine firing up..

Hi thanks for your reply. Interestingly I have just come back from my first longish trip, 250miles. It included 20 miles in a part of outer London that I am unfamiliar with and the Apple CarPlay sat nav worked brilliantly. I have not experienced MMCS but it doesn't get a very good press so I am delighted I chose this model. The EV switch is useful of course but even without using it I still find the car is fairly reluctant to start the ICE even with AirCon on. From what I read, the EV button may be particularly useful in winter when the heater is needed.

I do find the electronic parking brake and particularly the "hold" button really useful. Much better than the electronic parking brake I had on the LR Disco 3 that I sold to buy the Outlander.

WAH64 said:
Austen said:
Hi Chris

I have a late 3H+ which has the sat nav and the apple car play but I don't see a way to display charging cost, the only info I get is charging time.

How are you seeing charging cost without an MMCS?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have an 2017 Juro which I believe superceded the 3H+. Mine has a system called "Smartphone Link Display Audio". I do not know if your late 3H+ has the same system. Anyway my display has two pages of top level touch activated icons: DAB radio, FM, AM, Phone, etc. On the second page is one titled "Charging Cost". This takes you to a page that allows you to set your cost of electricity per kWh. In my case that is 12p per kWh. The page also allows you to view long term charging history and short term history. I have read elsewhere on this forum that people who prefer to know the actual kWh charged set the cost of electricity at 1 per kWh. Even if your car has a different display system I would be surprised if these pages are not available somewhere in your menu structure.

Cheers Chris

Sadly I only have 1 page on my display :(

However by noting the charge time and observing my Smart electricity monitor the charging cost can be determined.

Chris

Back