Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
 Post subject: Re: Let's go pure EV...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm 

My idea was to buy an old one, to do experiments, but I must be sure to be able of replace battery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 pm 

Exander wrote:
My idea was to buy an old one, to do experiments, but I must be sure to be able of replace battery.

The cheapest 2nd hand PHEV is still well over 15k euros .. maybe you better wait other 2 or 3 years for get something really cheap to "experiment"

Anyhow

Replace the battery is not a problem ... but you need access to some "big tools" for lift the car and take out the battery form the bottom

On Youtube, there is a video of iMiev which show how to remove the battery (done in a professional garage), and then another video of somebody that got a battery pack (the block under the Outlander PHEV), and he did disassemble for make a home power wall.

In the last video is clearly visible that the big 40Ah single cell battery could be easily replaced by any Lithium cell(s), so using more energy dense battery (like tesla 18650 cells in parallel) it would allow to have a bigger KWh pack inside the PHEV using the original BMS and battery block

Only issue is that replace battery is very expensive, it take time and professional tools ... and source Tesla 18650 cells in europe is almost impossible ... and I'm not sure I would trust generic Chinese Lithium cells since these have to be proven if they are reliable inside the car

Considering the amount of PHEV in Europe, considering that none of the PHEV now need to replace the main battery .. considering the little money gain in fuel saving my swapping the battery for a bigger one ... I don't see any "business" for now in this segment.

Maybe if you like to invest on the Outlander PHEV battery and ECU "hacking" .. yes .. an OBD2 simple tool that can give real EV and other option (like 80kw power and ICE start at 20% SOC) .. it can have a market .. but not bigger then few thousands sales ... also soon it may be a business to add an additional "small" battery in parallel to the main one ... adding 2/3kwh for ~ 500 euro it may find some customers interested on it ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:30 pm 

elm70 wrote:
...and I'm not sure I would trust generic Chinese Lithium cells since these have to be proven if they are reliable inside the car

Having seen what a lithium battery fire looks like, I'm quite certain I don't want 'cheap and cheerful' batteries under my car.

:lol:

1.5kW Solar, grid connected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 am 

The PHEV box knows whether ECO mode is enabled or not. That is all when it comes to smarts. And I am not even sure this info comes from the CANBUS.

The idea of ECO modding came later, when the box already existed. But indeed, it seems Vtech has given up on the cause. I have given up on him, after buying some spare ECUs and waiting for him to provide tools to play with them for way too long.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:18 pm 

Hi anko,
Ok, so we are alone, nice to hear that you have already bought some ecu to experiment. I can source for MUT-III clone but it's quite expensive (like 500$ + shipping) will it serve the scope?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:28 am 

anko wrote:
The PHEV box knows whether ECO mode is enabled or not. That is all when it comes to smarts. And I am not even sure this info comes from the CANBUS.

The idea of ECO modding came later, when the box already existed. But indeed, it seems Vtech has given up on the cause. I have given up on him, after buying some spare ECUs and waiting for him to provide tools to play with them for way too long.

I guess ... Vtech is a busy man ... and I'm sure he spends his time where he can make money

I bet ... he does not make money on these boxes , even if he sell a similar boxes for different BEV/PHEV/Hybrid cars now.

Definitely he has no special passion on this PHEV, else he would spend extra time as "hobby" and share his further achievements on PHEV "hacking"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:45 pm 

Is what is being discussed here the http://evtun.com/phev-box.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 pm 

Yes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25