My car hit while parked

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm only halfway through a 3 year lease, so I'll try again a bit closer to hand back time. I put it up here in case there was anyone involved in (or with more knowledge of) the leasing business, who could explain why it's impossible, or suggest an alternative course of action.

I don't know but I suspect Lex Autolease policy of not allowing leasers to purchase their cars has something to do with having to warrant used cars to comply with the sales of goods act. Selling through auction probably avoids this. Certainly when I bought my last company car, the leasing company gave me a 6 month warranty.

I believe Lex sell their cars through British Car Auctions. If you register with BCA you can do a car registration search. I suspect as a private buyer who knows the car's history you are likely to be prepared to outbid trade buyers.

However, it would involve uncertainty and an unknown intervening period without the car.

It really does amaze me that something as expensive as a car (especially to me as I actually paid cash money for mine) can be viewed by insurance providers so casually, even when it's only a few years old. The standard of repairs you mention are the sort you'd expect on car that was worth a few hundred pounds not tens of thousands. Are we supposed to chuck our cars away after 3 years? My last car - a Jeep Cherokee - lasted me 16 years and it was secondhand with 75,000 miles on it when I bought it. It's still in fact going with a new engine fitted.

I'd be very annoyed and dissapointed indeed if I couldn't get genuine main dealer repairs, especially if the damage was caused by somebody else. So it would seem that even if I went to great lengths (and no doubt extra cost) to ensure that my insurance provider was prepared to use genuine Mitsubishi parts and repair shops should the need arise, that wouldn't be the case if somebody elses insurers were paying, whether I liked it or not!

I think I've posted this tale before, but a good friend (spotless record for very high mileage driving over 20 years) pranged his wife's 18-month-old Volvo, running into the car in front at relatively low speed. No-one hurt, minor damage (a new wing, basically), but all the airbags (that's a lot, in a Volvo) went off. He was startled to be told that the car would be written off - apparently the cost of refitting the airbags is too great.

SolarBoy said:

Seems like they may get the parts, spray it all up, bake it, ...

Baking the battery requires special procedures, doesn't it?

Wouldn't want it coming out all light & fluffy.

Seems like I read a bit about Mitsie's recommendations for repair procedures & cautions, including baking, in a document linked from this forum.

Back