New tyre advice, from The Cardinal..

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the wear, it seems that very roughly the fronts wear twice as fast as the rears so worth swapping at 10-15k if you want to try to even out the wear ahead of a complete change of rubber.
According to various sites, the recommended method is to swap diagonally - not quite sure why.

Oer, I've heard the opposite, that you should ensure that the tyres always rotate in the same (correct) direction.

If you swap diagonally, you have to remove the tyre from the rim, and replace it in the opposite direction.

(unless you have unidirectional tyres)

If you do that, there is no point in rotating diagonally.

Tyres should have a direction indicator on them, looks like a D inside an arrow IIRC.

Andy,
You are quite right but I think the advice assumes that the tyres work both ways (whatever the right term is!).
I checked when I swapped mine and the Toyos don't have a direction.

Interestingly, there are experts who advise that rear tyres be mounted in the wrong rotational direction, with the rationale that front wheels must provide traction whilst driving, but rear wheels must provide traction whilst braking, thus in the opposite direction, to avoid a spin.

A well-known factoid: car spins whilst braking are from the rear wheels locking, not the front wheels.

FWIIW.

Back