2018/2019 Outlander

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am due to get a 2018 model next week on lease. I have been told that there is no change to the price at all.

StevieB said:
Right, having a spoken to a few kind Mitsubishi folk, I can confirm the 2018 model has the following changes:

MMCS is now removed, and replaced with a system that has Apple Car Play.
(This has FM, AM, DAB, Bluetooth & USB connections. but no CD slot, and no SatNav).
You will need to pair your Apple or Androd Device to the screen, to use satnav from your phone.

This is the system that is in the current Juro model in the UK (in case you want to look at one now). In my opinion it works very well and the Apple Car Play Sat Nav works for me.

Cobb said:
If these changes have been made to the new 2018 model perhaps Mitsubishi have had to reduce production costs by cutting out some features such as SAT NAV and a sunroof in order to keep the 4H MSRP price below the critical £40000 road tax threshold. It was already only just below the threshold once a non solid paint had been added. I would be surprised if they could keep the price below with the 4HS though. Also with the government grant of £2500 due to go at the end of March that would be another potential pressure on costs of buying the car. Lets see when the brochure and price list comes out.

Quite possibly. I think they lost quite a few sales when the prices went up last time, as in it was delisted as a Motability option as well because of the price.

It clearly is a cost-cutting excerise - the license fee for the Sat Nav alone will save ££££s worldwide (the L200 is also dropping the Sat Nav for the Car-Play one too).

In regards to Sat-Nav, yes the current system is dated and there is better out there, but it had it, and was usable. Not all folk use their mobiles for mapping (or know how to). So yes, this could be risky - especially when you consider the price of £40k+ for a model should have it.

WAH64 said:
StevieB said:
Right, having a spoken to a few kind Mitsubishi folk, I can confirm the 2018 model has the following changes:

(This has FM, AM, DAB, Bluetooth & USB connections. but no CD slot, and no SatNav).
You will need to pair your Apple or Androd Device to the screen, to use satnav from your phone.

This is the system that is in the current Juro model in the UK (in case you want to look at one now). In my opinion it works very well and the Apple Car Play Sat Nav works for me.

Yes, this was always a strange spec model to release. However, it cleary was a test-bed for the UK market, to see how the entertainment system was received, and if it could be adapted in 2018 in full accross the range. Clearly it went well!

StevieB said:

No Sunroof.
Heated Windscreen.

?

Has anyone got any experience of Apple / Andriod with this?

My favoured satnav app at moment is TomTom Go - taffic alerts are very accurate in my experience. Do all satnavs apps work - or only selected ones?

My lease is up in 4 months and seriously considering another 4h.

hungrymackem said:
StevieB said:

No Sunroof.
Heated Windscreen.

?

Has anyone got any experience of Apple / Andriod with this?

My favoured satnav app at moment is TomTom Go - taffic alerts are very accurate in my experience. Do all satnavs apps work - or only selected ones?

My lease is up in 4 months and seriously considering another 4h.

I think only Apple Apps Work. However, if you Google it, you can jailbreak your phone and download an App to allow you to run other 3rd party software too. Such as Google maps etc

2018MY now on the Mitsubishi UK website this morning. :)

Looks like the 4HS and 5HS still get MMCS but everything else gets SDA with Apple and Android.

orkneydave said:
2018MY now on the Mitsubishi UK website this morning. :)

Looks like the 4HS and 5HS still get MMCS but everything else gets SDA with Apple and Android.

That's becasue the 4HS and 5HS are still 2017 models - I've had it confirmed they've a few left to shift still. When the 2017 model is fully sold, they'll then bring the 2018 model in for these too - probably Jan/Feb time.

It's why the 2018 model wasn't advertised previously - making sure existing stock had almost gone of the 2017 model, despite it actually being available.

Have you got yours yet?

I had a demo of the new touch screen system and with a droid connected (pixel xl)
Waze and google maps worked as well as google play and Spotify

In my opinion this is far far better then an outdated satnav system, my jag has inbuilt satnav, not sure I have used it for many years because I would default to the phone always.

As the phone will be plugged in during operation via a cable bat wont be an issue.

I dont know if this works over Bluetooth but I suspect not.

BT can still be used if you dont want these features and just play music and phone features with out plugging in but if you want satnav then plugging in is needed I believe.

I hope to have mine before xmas. :)

Boysie

Collected my 2018MY in Aberdeen yesterday and then had a 220 mile dash to catch the ferry from Scrabster.

First thoughts are great!

It had been driven up to Aberdeen from Scarborough by the supplying garage so had no charge left in the drive battery. Was still very quiet on petrol and my average mpg (combined with the drive from Scarborough) was 35.5 which I thought was pretty good (I wasn't driving very economically and had the heater on as it was baltic!). I also drove on charge for the last bit of the journey as I wanted to arrive home with battery so that I could show it off to my wife when I got home last night.

Regen on the flappy paddles worked well and I foung it very intuitive to change through the B levels depending on the conditions. I was also surprised how well the car coasted in B0 so sat in this quite a bit, using regen to slow down before junctions and in traffic etc. I found that B5 does put the brake lights on initially, I guess depending on actual braking force applied, but the lights do go out again when the rate of decelleration decreases whilst still in B5.

Heated windscreen works well.

4H has footwell lights on the 2018 MY, not sure if it did before. Smartphone Link Display works really well and Android Auto also worked well. I used Google maps and was able to update destination on the fly using voice control. I was also able to reply to a facebook message (that the SLD read out to me) just by dictation without taking my eyes off the road. Sound quality seemed good and interface seemed was pretty easy to navigate. Vehicle settings and PHEV info all accessable.

Not had much chance to play with anything else yet really but will get a better look today.

I received my 4h yesterday (to replace a 3h at the end of a 3 year lease). Unexpectedly I received an 18 model instead of the 17 I was expecting, so down a sunroof and integrated satnav, but up a heated windscreen and Apple CarPlay.

First impressions are excellent. The interior just feels that bit classier than the 14 model. The 3h was great but did feel like a bit of a tin box at times, the improved interior following the 16 upgrade, and the addition of leather with the 4h makes for a pretty good interior, I would on a par with BMW/Mercedes (apart from the drivers console/speedo unit which looks a little dated).

Heated seats are excellent at the heat goes up to your lumbar region. but unfortunately no lumbar adjustment. I was surprised to find I had an electric drivers seat (discovered after I spend a while trying to find the adjustment bar under the seat!).

I never had the satnav before so I cannot say whether Apple CarPlay is an improvement, however the integration is excellent, and the use of Google maps really good. It's not just your phone display in landscape, but a proper satnav.

Driving wise very similar to the 3h, but I love the addition of the EV button. Most of my journeys are well within the PHEV range, and it was very frustrating in winter to have the engine kick in just because I wanted some heat.

The app is pretty poor. It appears you have to be connected to the vehicle (i.e. within range of the vehicle) to use it. Nowhere near as good as my B250e where I can muck about with the car from miles away (OK, why you would want to unlock the doors when your are across the country from your car I don't know, but I like the option!).

Powered tailgate works great, I've never had one of these before. Just a bit slow to open, I'll have to adapt and learn to press the remote before I reach the boot area.

Overall,very pleased. 700 mile round trip coming so let's see how I feel after that.

I'm due to replace my '64 plate PHEV company car at the end of this year, and will be choosing in May/June. I intended to go for another, I've been very happy with it, but the lack of integrated satnav on the 2018 models could be a deal breaker for me. Whilst the MMCS is not great, it worked. It even managed to successfully redirect me due to congestion on a few occasions. BUT I live in North Wales, and often camp around Snowdonia where phone signals can be non existent. And guess what.....it's when I'm driving around unknown rural tracks that I need the satnav! And maybe it's just a point of principle, but I'd seriously resent having to buy a TomTom to add to a brand new £40k car! Not that I want to clutter a dash with aftermarket equipment and messy wires either.

I suppose I'll have to take a look at the VW Passat GTE Advance (which has satnav, sunroof, heated seats, electric seats, powered tailgate, etc.).........

DrSlackBladder said:
I'm due to replace my '64 plate PHEV company car at the end of this year, and will be choosing in May/June. I intended to go for another, I've been very happy with it, but the lack of integrated satnav on the 2018 models could be a deal breaker for me. Whilst the MMCS is not great, it worked. It even managed to successfully redirect me due to congestion on a few occasions. BUT I live in North Wales, and often camp around Snowdonia where phone signals can be non existent. And guess what.....it's when I'm driving around unknown rural tracks that I need the satnav! And maybe it's just a point of principle, but I'd seriously resent having to buy a TomTom to add to a brand new £40k car! Not that I want to clutter a dash with aftermarket equipment and messy wires either.

I suppose I'll have to take a look at the VW Passat GTE Advance (which has satnav, sunroof, heated seats, electric seats, powered tailgate, etc.).........

Same situation here - I’m due beginning of November, so will start look more in April time.

There should be a basic satnav provision, with the ability to use car-play for a better one. I have a work phone so data not an issue, but in some areas with no data, I might struggle - appreciate you can pre-load a map prior, but don’t think you can preload several maps prior.

The Passat GTE is a good alternative, but I think generally quite smaller internally, which is an issue to me.

The other alternative is a Volvo V90 or XC90 T8 - but both are quite a bit more expensive compared to both these. I am pretty happy with the Outlander, but 6 years of the same car can be a bit much. See what offers are about later in the year!

The situation is similar for me.

I have the car but I do not like to share all OBD2 data with third parties permanently ...

Being now on holiday with the car, I am using OSMAND on my phone.
This solution is based on openstreetmaps and works pretty well for me.

Cost is negligible or even zero for the starter package.
Map quality is fine in my regions so far. You night check North Wales or whatever location you might be interested on http://openstreetmap.org/

Best regards, Harald

PS:
In case that the screen should really have a free HDMI signal input, it might be that a more professional integration could be done...
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3389

Any news of Mitsubishi Ground Tourer being launched in 2018 or 19? . Apparently it is same size but 75 miles on pure EV and nearing 1000 miles in one tank full.

Kesto said:
Any news of Mitsubishi Ground Tourer being launched in 2018 or 19? . Apparently it is same size but 75 miles on pure EV and nearing 1000 miles in one tank full.

I can't find a reference anymore ... but I remember I did read somewhere that next Outlander PHEV (2019?) should have bigger battery compared to the current 12kwh pack

Using more modern Lithium battery I'm sure they can squeeze at least 20kwh in the same space without weight penalty and without a relevant cost difference ...

Since 2013 battery did evolved in capacity and price .. and the old GS Yusa LEV40 look very outdated now.

Still .. the "GT" with 3 e-motors and more sporty look was very interesting ... but ... I'm not sure Nissan who does control Mitsubishi now has kept this GT project alive

elm70 said:
Kesto said:

I can't find a reference anymore ... but I remember I did read somewhere that next Outlander PHEV (2019?) should have bigger battery compared to the current 12kwh pack

Using more modern Lithium battery I'm sure they can squeeze at least 20kwh in the same space without weight penalty and without a relevant cost difference ...

Since 2013 battery did evolved in capacity and price .. and the old GS Yusa LEV40 look very outdated now.

Still .. the "GT" with 3 e-motors and more sporty look was very interesting ... but ... I'm not sure Nissan who does control Mitsubishi now has kept this GT project alive

Very good point - the battery tech in the PHEV is now at least 5 years old, if not 7 years when development time is taken into account.

New BIK levels coming in soon, mean it would be worth upgrading batteries. If they could get 45 miles out of one charge, then I’d be ordering another for definite later this year, as that will cover my full commute on one charge, even allowing for a 15% tolerance. I can charge at work, drive home, drive back to work in the morning and charge again. No chaging at home then.

Like you say, Renault-Nissan Alliance means a joint model is planned, so Outlander and X-Trail will be same car, with a new model added to Renault.

Back