Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unexpected lack of regen braking
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:10 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
I do live near the top of a hill - but we're not talking Zugspitz, it's about 1.5 km at 15% gradient, with the same again up the opposite side of the valley. When the car is (normally) fully charged, even B5 can't prevent it accelerating down the hill. But returning home with a depleted battery, B5 is more than sufficient to hold the speed (there's a 50 mph limit, so I can play with the regen settings to maintain the appropriate speed, and gain a mile or two of charge as well).

You might "simulate" a hill top loading function by loading in a time slot that is preset too short for reaching full capacity.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:36 am 

Thanks Harald. I don't have any problem, I've learnt to live with my little hill. There's no chance that the disc brakes won't be able to handle such a relatively short descent.

If I'm heading eastwards, I can run along the ridge for about 4 miles and only then have to descend. By that point, the battery has depleted sufficiently for almost full levels of regen braking to be available. And I can reach the bottom of the hill with almost the same range as when I left my house.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:36 pm 

ChrisMiller wrote:
If I'm heading eastwards, I can run along the ridge for about 4 miles and only then have to descend. By that point, the battery has depleted sufficiently for almost full levels of regen braking to be available. And I can reach the bottom of the hill with almost the same range as when I left my house.

I just did a short calculation for the energy that can be harvested when driving down a 2000 kg vehicle for a 200 m altitude difference.
This is approx. 1 kWh and fits perfectly to your "almost full again" description after 4 miles along the ridge.

1000 meter in altitude difference can be sufficient for charging the battery by max. 50% of its capacity.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:15 pm 

Thanks again, Harald! Not much chance of a 1,000 m descent in England :D

When I'm returning, I often go down the opposite side of the valley, and that adds 1 or 2 miles to the range indicator. If we assume 1.5 miles, that (at 3 miles/kWh) equates to 0.5 kWh. Which gives a reasonable efficiency of ~50% for regeneration.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:02 am 

I don't think mine is necessarily related to stopping a charge. Yet I am also feeling my regen isn't working properly. Even with a pretty much empty battery I find it works to an extent to b3 but b4 and b5 don't seem to add anything. I really needed it on a steep descent with s trailer on ice today! Could it be anything to do with freezing temperatures?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:17 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
I do live near the top of a hill - but we're not talking Zugspitz, it's about 1.5 km at 15% gradient, with the same again up the opposite side of the valley. When the car is (normally) fully charged, even B5 can't prevent it accelerating down the hill. But returning home with a depleted battery, B5 is more than sufficient to hold the speed (there's a 50 mph limit, so I can play with the regen settings to maintain the appropriate speed, and gain a mile or two of charge as well).

Aren't you going uphill on the way home?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:24 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
I do live near the top of a hill - but we're not talking Zugspitz, it's about 1.5 km at 15% gradient, with the same again up the opposite side of the valley.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 pm 

ChrisMiller wrote:

Actually... I just put the thing in B5 by flicking the gearshift back twice and then use the accelerator pedal to maintain speed... easier than fiddling with the paddles....................