Winter Tyres?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two other good reasons -
1. The process of changing is pretty basic with a machine that works on the same principle as bicycle levers in a puncture repair kit. Some force is used and I'm not convinced that it is particularly good for the structural longevity of the tyre on a regular basis. Have a look next time you see a tyre fitter.
2. There is also the risk of cosmetic damage to the wheels each time.

I have a separate set of winter wheels and rims for my Merc which goes to the Alps 2/3 times a year. I have a trolley jack and quite enjoy changing them twice a year - takes about an hour. I'm lucky to have a garage to store the spare set in.
For the PHEV, I just fancy a bit more UK winter safety and will get all-seasons (ideally Michelin CrossClimate) which for an extra couple of hundred quid over the Toyos I think is money well spent.

If you get the Cross-Climates you probably won't need winter tyres for your trips to the Alps. The PHEV is THAT good on snow.

jaapv said:
If you get the Cross-Climates you probably won't need winter tyres for your trips to the Alps. The PHEV is THAT good on snow.

But will they satisfy the local gendarmerie?

In my case it's the German and Austrian Politzei but the answer is yes, that's what the snowflake symbol is for.
As for the Gendarmerie, they would applaud the use of an innovative French product....
Jaap - you're right about that but I find the small tank a bit of a pain when travelling long distance and the PHEV is really my wife's car!

I'm assuming an All Season tyre (Cross Climate) does exactly what it says on the tin, designed for all seasons, better in cold weather, maybe not as good as a dedicated winter tyre but you don't have to change them in summer?

Hi had the wifi update thing on Thursday when my car was in for MOT and the spark plug recall. All fine, and no problems. Just need to download one of the other verisons of the app and repair the phone with the car. I didn't enquire on the detail of what the update is trying to achieve.

Paule23 said:
I'm assuming an All Season tyre (Cross Climate) does exactly what it says on the tin, designed for all seasons, better in cold weather, maybe not as good as a dedicated winter tyre but you don't have to change them in summer?
Exactly. I have just fitted Vredestein Quatracs The car drives very well on them. :)

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

I think they have the snow-flake symbol, AKA legal winter tyres.

jaapv said:
greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

I think they have the snow-flake symbol, AKA legal winter tyres.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is still best to carry chains as well as having winter tyres just in case they insist for those French alpine roads with mandatory restrictions. :lol:

Well, yes, it is no use arguing with the local village Flic, especially if he is wrong, so better safe than sorry.

I've recently ordered wheels and tyres from Mytyres that will hopefully be delivered next week. However, I'm now concerned that the TPMS will need to be programmed to the car and my local Mitsu dealer is not sure they will talk to his computer? I've then spoken to WheelbaseAlloys who say they program the sensors before sending them out and I just need to link them to the car?

It's all a bit of nightmare and as we're heading to the Jura mountains for new year I don't really want to drive there and back with the car pinging at me all the way.

Can any help with any info to clear this up? Or do I cancel the tyres etc and just get a set of snowchains?

If you dislike pinging you'll hate the rattling of snow chains :p . It appears that this is going to be a rather snowy winter on the Continent if the early signs hold true - just get your winter tyres, TPMS can be easily sorted.

Hi DavidWh,

Here's my account of it:
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2997&p=35037#p35037

Be sure to buy TPMS sensors which are "compatible" with the outlander. Then all the dealer has to do is program the IDs in the car computer using an "activation tool" that they put near each wheel in sequence (forcing the sensor to "beep" its ID). I bought these and they work fine (a bit expensive IMO):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPMS-Sensors-4-OE-Replacement-Tyre-Valve-for-Mitsubishi-Outlander-2014-EOP-/162323345491?hash=item25cb39b053:g:nqUAAOSwo4pYVCwT

Hope it helps...

When I bought a set from Mitsu, they were about £120 - a fraction of the cost of the wheels & tyres. If you are worried about 3rd party ones, get you dealer to supply & programme to the car. He should be able to do this even before the tyres turn up.

I’m planning on getting a set of the quattracs soon. Can’t I just use the TPMS in the tyres already and get them recalibrated to the new tyres? I have 2015 GX5

DavidWh said:
I've recently ordered wheels and tyres from Mytyres that will hopefully be delivered next week. However, I'm now concerned that the TPMS will need to be programmed to the car and my local Mitsu dealer is not sure they will talk to his computer? I've then spoken to WheelbaseAlloys who say they program the sensors before sending them out and I just need to link them to the car?

It's all a bit of nightmare and as we're heading to the Jura mountains for new year I don't really want to drive there and back with the car pinging at me all the way.

Can any help with any info to clear this up? Or do I cancel the tyres etc and just get a set of snowchains?

If you read back a few pages on this post you can read my account of recent TPMS fitment too - although mine were OEM TPMS monitors on OEM Mitsubishi 18inch alloy wheels.
My PHEV is a GX4h I don't know if the TPMS switchability (from position 1 to 2 on the dash display) is available on the GX3?

Can you actually change the batteries on the OEM TPMS sensors then - I forgot to look. I hope they last longer than the 6 years I seem to remember reading somewhere!

Thanks all for the info. I ended up cancelling the original order with MyTyres as I couldn't be certain the after market TPMS on the new wheels were going to work and don't have the time to change things if they didn't. I have now ordered these: Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme from Oponeo and will get them fitted to the original wheels for now. It's saved me around £600 for now and if I decide later to buy some extra wheels I can get them all sorted in slow time when things are not so busy. I did try to buy some winter tyres from a local tyre dealer but he could only source budget or seriously expensive so hopefully these will do the job at a reasonable price. I now just have to hope they turn up in time for me to get them fitted as our friends report that snow is falling around the Gex area and looks like we may actually even get some winter weather in SE UK this year.

Back