Going for it!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWolfy

Bit boring for every one else, but decided today, after my second test drive, to go for the G3 phev.

Bit annoyed there's no lumbar support, no full electronic parking brake and no auto diming rear view mirror, but none of these are deal breakers.

G4 was just too much more for the extras. reversing camera is pants (imho), as it doesn't get the guide lines for about 30 seconds from start and they're fixed as well, no tracking motion. I also found the mmcs to be laggy and not overly well designed. Personal preference, I know.

Does anyone know how to set the wing mirrors to auto open and close without the mmcs, please? Also, anyone else who has the G3, how have you found the rear sensors and do you wish you'd gone for the G4?

Now the wait for delivery...

The electronic parking brake is the P button, which also comes in automatically when you switch off. You don't need a brake for pulling away on a slope as it has a two-second roll back block.

DavidWolfy said:
Thanks, I know about the 'P' button. Shame it doesn't replace the hand brake altogether though.

Having had a Citroen GS many years ago on which the brakes were 100% servo powered, I'm a great believer in having an old fashioned mechanical fall-back. On one occasion, crossing Spain, I tried to set out in the morning and found that I had a flat battery and could not start the car. I had, however, parked at the top of a fairly long hill and I had the bright idea of roll-starting it down this hill! Half way down, it dawned on me that I had no brakes until the engine had started and run for a good ten or twenty seconds to pressurise the hydraulic system - and there was a very busy main road at the bottom! The next few tens of yards were very frightening! The engine did fire up and run and I stopped at the junction below, but I didn't try that one again!

Ah, good old Citroën! There was probably a secondary brake by your right shoulder, initiated by a nonchalant shrug. :eek:

You can kiss goodbye to any chance of bump starting the PHEV (I carry a small 12v alarm battery though just for this purpose).

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Not sure I understand what the link is between the bump starting aspect and the G3 vs G4?

Cheers,
David

DavidWolfy said:
Hi Mark,

Not sure I understand what the link is between the bump starting aspect and the G3 vs G4?

Cheers,
David

None at all - he was remarking on me bump starting an old Citroen

DavidWolfy said:
Bit boring for every one else, but decided today, after my second test drive, to go for the G3 phev.

Bit annoyed there's no lumbar support, no full electronic parking brake and no auto diming rear view mirror, but none of these are deal breakers.

G4 was just too much more for the extras. reversing camera is pants (imho), as it doesn't get the guide lines for about 30 seconds from start and they're fixed as well, no tracking motion. I also found the mmcs to be laggy and not overly well designed. Personal preference, I know.

Does anyone know how to set the wing mirrors to auto open and close without the mmcs, please? Also, anyone else who has the G3, how have you found the rear sensors and do you wish you'd gone for the G4?

I went with the Aspire model in Australia (G4 series?) after a 2 day test drive over the weekend that the dealer was offering.

I'm with you on the "no auto dimming rear view mirror", definitely thought it should have it for this money. Anyways it ticked enough other boxes for me to purchase. Agree also on the guide lines taking ages to come up. I have a narrow drive way and like to put it in reverse as quick as i can and back out. Hopefully they bring out an update for this, even the dealer agreed that it wasn't the best work by Mitsubishi. No auto open wing mirrors on ours.

As for delivery.....ordered new PHEV Aspire on Monday, will pickup on Friday. Can't wait.

sawman82 said:
DavidWolfy said:

I went with the Aspire model in Australia (G4 series?) after a 2 day test drive over the weekend that the dealer was offering.

I'm with you on the "no auto dimming rear view mirror", definitely thought it should have it for this money. Anyways it ticked enough other boxes for me to purchase. Agree also on the guide lines taking ages to come up. I have a narrow drive way and like to put it in reverse as quick as i can and back out. Hopefully they bring out an update for this, even the dealer agreed that it wasn't the best work by Mitsubishi. No auto open wing mirrors on ours.

As for delivery.....ordered new PHEV Aspire on Monday, will pickup on Friday. Can't wait.

That's an incredible turnaround! We are typically waiting six weeks or more on this side of the world!

maby said:
sawman82 said:

That's an incredible turnaround! We are typically waiting six weeks or more on this side of the world!

Likely a result of lack of demand due to lack of tax incentives. I understand that the Nordic counties had really good incentives. The UK certainly does, though company car drivers get the most benefit.

Kind regards,
Mark

Holland as well. Businesses could get tax advantages up to 80% of the car price net over five years. Result: About 15.000 sold up till now and still selling well, despite tha tax rebate being toned down a bit this year. You can't drive a mile without encountering one.

Wow, that's a long wait. Yes they are definitely not in demand over here as there are no tax incentives or otherwise that I know of. Dealers have them sitting around everywhere. Unfortunately due to our governments attitude towards renewable energy and massive debt, I don't think they will be handing out incentives any time soon.

The dealer told me that I was only their second PHEV customer so I don't think there will be much interest here unfortunately.

dukeinlondon said:
I suspect that short distance urban driving in Australia is somewhat less common than in the UK and that also might be a factor...

Indeed - I suspect that it would be difficult to make an ecological case for promoting the Outlander PHEV in most of Australia.

maby said:
dukeinlondon said:
I suspect that short distance urban driving in Australia is somewhat less common than in the UK and that also might be a factor...

Indeed - I suspect that it would be difficult to make an ecological case for promoting the Outlander PHEV in most of Australia.
Yes, distances are massive over here. There are lot of Merc and BMW SUVs (=expensive) around that I bet don't travel that far, however as those people have money to burn they probably arn't concerned about saving a few $ on petrol.

sawman82 said:
The dealer told me that I was only their second PHEV customer so I don't think there will be much interest here unfortunately.

Sounds like here in Hobart, I was almost the first - shame the finance company put paid to that.. But I'll settle for the second and only in Arctic Silver in the state so far. Even though we have a useless government when it cones to incentives, purely the savings in fuel cost is enough for me. My fuel bill has gone from about $200 a week to about $50 - if that's not an incentive I do think anything is! I do about 750 odd k's a week too, so definitely not in Mitsubishi's best case scenario!

Wow, nice figures. I'm going to see how long I can make it before the motor turns on for the first time. I'm almost at 100km and hasn't turned on yet. Would anyone recommend that I give it a run for a little bit or should it be ok. Haven't got any 50+km journeys planned for the next month as of yet.

sawman82 said:
Wow, nice figures. I'm going to see how long I can make it before the motor turns on for the first time. I'm almost at 100km and hasn't turned on yet. Would anyone recommend that I give it a run for a little bit or should it be ok. Haven't got any 50+km journeys planned for the next month as of yet.

No there's no need to give it a run, IMO, unless you want to just check the engine works :D BTW, don't worry if there is a strange smell when it does cut in, I am told that's normal... :eek:

Back