Fuel usage

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbles

Hi All
I,m a new Phev Driver only having got it this week , love it but i have a question, I cannot seem to find an answer to. My run to work and back is 20 miles , 10 each way, I charge up over night and at work so only need use the EV mode which has been leaving the battery at about half depleted each way.
However my fuel gauge and range has dropped as well at about the same rate as my battery range, having now over 4 days dropped by 80 miles on fuel range, having only driven 80 miles in what i believe is EV mode . I am just pushing the EV button and driving?
All I'm doing is starting the car, pressing the EV button driving to work 10 Miles turning off , Charging at work pressing the EV Button driving home 10 miles in what i believe is EV mode. What am i doing wrong, because ive used a 1/4 of a tank of fuel in EV mode.

Has the actual fuel gauge shown a reduction or just the predicted mileage? And have you actually heard the engine running? Finally what does the fuel consumption screen show - if you have been in all EV mode then it will show 100%

Greendwarf
The gauge and the predicted has gone down. I haven't heard the engine and Av fuel consumption is at 46Mpg . Seems very strange, or perhaps 5 days is just too short a time to get a true reading

Welcome!

Have you had the heating on, what is the external temp and if the car is 2nd hand have you checked there are no pre-heating timers set?
Cheers
H

No, no - the OP is actually using fuel but why press the EV button on starting? Surely EV is the default, so pressing it would suggest turning it off and hence running with the ICE and using fuel. :idea:

bubbles said:
Hi All
I,m a new Phev Driver only having got it this week , love it but i have a question, I cannot seem to find an answer to. My run to work and back is 20 miles , 10 each way, I charge up over night and at work so only need use the EV mode which has been leaving the battery at about half depleted each way.
However my fuel gauge and range has dropped as well at about the same rate as my battery range, having now over 4 days dropped by 80 miles on fuel range, having only driven 80 miles in what i believe is EV mode . I am just pushing the EV button and driving?
All I'm doing is starting the car, pressing the EV button driving to work 10 Miles turning off , Charging at work pressing the EV Button driving home 10 miles in what i believe is EV mode. What am i doing wrong, because ive used a 1/4 of a tank of fuel in EV mode.

Are you using the Heater or the Air Conditioner during your Drive? If you are and the Heat/Cool System is on when you start the car then the Engine will start and continue to run till the set point is reached.

To run on EV Mode you need to have the Heat/Cool System <off> before you start the Car. Click on the EV Button and you will be in EV Mode only untill your Battery is low then Engine may kick in.

Look at your Manual, Page 5-142 Does the Display look like this (shows the flow of Energy) or does it display the EV Cruising range display/Total cruising range as shown on page 5-140.

To change the Screens you need to press the Multi-information Switch as shown on page 5-132 to choose the various displays shown on page 5-135.

Once you give us a bit more information, I am sure someone will be able to assist you.

Does your car have an electric heater? If not it is bound to use fuel when you use the heater.

If it does, I believe it may still do so, even in ev mode. But, driving an older model without ev mode, I am not sure.

bubbles said:
Hi All
You say that the ICE isn't cutting in, are you sure, I find it difficult to tell if the ICE is running.

outlander660 said:
bubbles said:
Hi All
You say that the ICE isn't cutting in, are you sure, I find it difficult to tell if the ICE is running.

OP reports drop in fuel gauge and 46% EV - so must be running the ICE - nobody has replied yet as to whether current model defaults to EV on starting, so that pressing the EV button actually turns OFF EV mode!

Just picked up my 2018 GT Model last week.

It does have Electric heating and defrost as it can be remotely turned on.

With temps below -5'C with the heat turned off. I turn on car. Press Econo mode and Ev. The engine does start for about a minute then turns itself on and I can drive in EV Mode. Elect heater can be turned and continues on EV mode. Battery drains very quickly and my elect range drops by 10 Kms.

If heater is on before I turn on car. Engine starts and continues to run even when EV mode is on until interior temp reaches set point. Then drops to EV Mode.

Today was -22'C. No matter what I tried the Engine started and stayed on. After a few minutes I turned off vehicle. Turned off heater. Turned car on, pressed EV and stayed in EV even after I turned Heater on.

So looks like low temperature seems to determine when Engine kicks in

greendwarf said:
outlander660 said:
bubbles said:
Hi All

OP reports drop in fuel gauge and 46% EV - so must be running the ICE - nobody has replied yet as to whether current model defaults to EV on starting, so that pressing the EV button actually turns OFF EV mode!

Hmm -22 is rather extreme by European standards (13c here in Sarf Lundun today :cool: ) and even -5 would not be very common for urban users. We know the difference between car & ambient temp of over about 10c kicks in the ICE if the heater is on, even at the minimum setting of 15.

Perhaps "bubbles" could give us location to help understand the operating environment - and again, can a UK 2017+ user tell me if the car defaults to EV under normal circumstances on staring without pressing the EV button?

greendwarf said:
nobody has replied yet as to whether current model defaults to EV on starting, so that pressing the EV button actually turns OFF EV mode!

It does not. EV Mode defaults to off and you have to turn it on manually every time.

greendwarf said:
can a UK 2017+ user tell me if the car defaults to EV under normal circumstances on staring without pressing the EV button?

No it doesn't. And nor does pressing the EV button inhibit the ICE from starting due to cold temperatures.

generaltso said:
greendwarf said:
nobody has replied yet as to whether current model defaults to EV on starting, so that pressing the EV button actually turns OFF EV mode!

It does not. EV Mode defaults to off and you have to turn it on manually every time.

Thanks for the info - glad I haven't got it then - stupid idea :roll:

The Outlander PHEV feels very similar to my cousin's Chevy Volt, which has the "ERDTT" syndrome (Engine running due to temperatures) which forces the engine on at -5 deg celsius and below to warm the cabin & reduce impact on SoC.

Honestly while seeing <3L/100km is wonderful, the early January flash freeze of constant -20deg celsius temperatures convinced me otherwise. Similar to the Volt's ERDTT, the Outlander PHEV engine is actually providing juice via generator to the HV battery when the ECU fires it up for heating purposes, which is giving you extra range by taking some load off the HV battery. To that end, ehh, why the heck am I so anxious to keep the ICE off for?

Sure on longer trips that is all fine. But when you destination is well within ev range (even when using the electric heater)?

Btw: I don't know about the latest models, but my car does not enhance SOC with ERDTT until I select Charge mode.

MikkB said:
No it doesn't. And nor does pressing the EV button inhibit the ICE from starting due to cold temperatures.

I am surprised you say that. In my 2017 model the EV mode certainly does inhibit the ICE from starting in the winter temperatures we typically see in the UK.

Take for example a day when the ambient temperature is +2 C and my heater is selected Auto at +22 C. If I leave EV selected off when selecting Power on, the ICE will start within a couple of seconds. However, if I select Power on and within a second select EV mode then the ICE will not start until the drive battery is depleted down to one bar.

For this reason, it would be much better if the EV selection was “sticky” as mentioned by others

WAH64 said:
MikkB said:

I am surprised you say that. In my 2017 model the EV mode certainly does inhibit the ICE from starting in the winter temperatures we typically see in the UK.

Take for example a day when the ambient temperature is +2 C and my heater is selected Auto at +22 C. If I leave EV selected off when selecting Power on, the ICE will start within a couple of seconds. However, if I select Power on and within a second select EV mode then the ICE will not start until the drive battery is depleted down to one bar.

For this reason, it would be much better if the EV selection was “sticky” as mentioned by others
Hi Chris, that's interesting, maybe I have just been too slow to hit the EV button. I found that pressing EV 'immediately' after starting did not prevent ICE running for a minute or two, although after that it remained inactive. I did find that running a pre-heat prevented any ICE running on startup. I generally have my heating temp set to 18C and it has to be close to freezing for the ICE to fire up.

Next time its cold (and I haven't pre-heated) I will try and be even quicker on the EV Trigger and see what happens. Agree a sticky EV would be much better!

Cheers.

greendwarf said:
I don't think he meant it "enhances", i.e. increases SoC but rather leaves it unused.
Maybe not. But then what does "power from generator to battery" mean? You think he meant "power from generator to e-motors"? Because that i would agree to.

Back