Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way of testing battery
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:26 am 

I believe my 2014 phev battery is rapidly going down hill. I've heard people are using the charge cost setting on car to see what the car costs to charge. I've set mine to 10p per kwh and last night after a full charge it said it cost just 66p to charge. My predicted ev range this morning was 21 miles . I did a 5 mile round trip dropping kids to school, got back home predicted miles left was 7. Went back to collect 6 hours later started car up and predicted range was only 4! So it lost 3 miles just sitting there on the drive. Surely this can't be right. So after all that I only got 14 miles on ev. How can I further test my battery please I'm thinking there's something seriously up with the car battery.

Post subject: Re: Best way of testing battery
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 pm 

Hi
I also seem to have an issue of around 7.5kwh empty to full per charge cost screen...
Awaiting some advice or other figures for comparison. My car has done about 43k miles.
Cheers
H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:01 pm 

BobbyButtons - take a look at pages on “poor battery performance” a few threads below.... very interesting. We are not alone!
H

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 pm 

Hypermiler wrote:
BobbyButtons - take a look at pages on “poor battery performance” a few threads below.... very interesting. We are not alone!
H

Thanks will take a look

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:22 pm 

I've got a MY14.5 here in Australia, bought it end of 2015 from a dealer. Mid 2017 I lost range and could do only 35km (21mi) on a full charge. I complaint with another dealer and they did a battery cell smoothing procedure and a BMS reset. I've documented everything via my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/unpluggedev (it explains the best what has happened). The capacity was down to 80% state of health already with no more then 58000km (36000mi) driven.

After the procedure I had my full capacity back with 50km+ on pure EV range, but... well other problems occured.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 pm 

Bobbybuttons wrote:
I believe my 2014 phev battery is rapidly going down hill. I've heard people are using the charge cost setting on car to see what the car costs to charge. I've set mine to 10p per kwh and last night after a full charge it said it cost just 66p to charge. My predicted ev range this morning was 21 miles . I did a 5 mile round trip dropping kids to school, got back home predicted miles left was 7. Went back to collect 6 hours later started car up and predicted range was only 4! So it lost 3 miles just sitting there on the drive. Surely this can't be right. So after all that I only got 14 miles on ev. How can I further test my battery please I'm thinking there's something seriously up with the car battery.

Unless you have an ODB2 adapter, using the MMCS is a good way to verify the state of health of your battery.

Also remember that battery does perform better in warm weather, 25C is the ideal temperature for have maximum battery capacity ... so now in winter we have less available capacity (both in charge and discharge)

As well ... when EV range is zero (or missing) on the car display, the battery could be between 30.5% till 26% capacity

Anyhow ... per your MMCS you have been able to charge only 6.6kwh ... that is quite a low value ... per my MMCS in winter last day I was able to charge 8.1kwh .. and my battery SOH is only 91%

You can try to ask battery smoothing to your dealer ... but don't expect miracles ... battery degradation is real in this PHEV and it is irreversible

If you poor battery condition is due to a single weak cell ... you may have an argument for have Mitsubishi to replace at least the weak battery cell .. for know this you would need an ODB2 adapter and on of the two Apps for Android (EvBatMon or PhevWatchDog)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:54 pm 

Bert wrote:
I've got a MY14.5 here in Australia, bought it end of 2015 from a dealer. Mid 2017 I lost range and could do only 35km (21mi) on a full charge. I complaint with another dealer and they did a battery cell smoothing procedure and a BMS reset. I've documented everything via my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/unpluggedev (it explains the best what has happened). The capacity was down to 80% state of health already with no more then 58000km (36000mi) driven.

After the procedure I had my full capacity back with 50km+ on pure EV range, but... well other problems occured.

Hi Bert,

You made very nice videos about the PHEV battery problems .. very informative .. and lot of information there ;)

Having follow your videos, I'm quite sure you dealer did not execute properly the battery smoothing ... instead they just reset your car, to make it believe it has still 100% capacity.

As consequence you battery get over discharger, and it is quickly learning the real capacity and going back to the previous SOH of 80%

I will post soon my understanding of the logic behind this battery management in our PHEV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:48 pm 

I plugged it in today from an empty battery and my app said it would take 2 hours 45minutes to charge ( i have a chargemaster installed)
I checked app again after this time and battery was full with 21 miles estimate ev range car displayed charge complete and the charge cost was 74p.
So i plugged it back in again so i know it will be full for the morning and it clicks as it always does when you plug it in and green light comes on chargemaster again to say charging.
I check the app again and its now saying 1 hour to complete charge. It all seems a bit odd to me , i'm wondering if its maybe the chargemaster at fault possibly?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:06 pm 

Bobbybuttons wrote:
I check the app again and its now saying 1 hour to complete charge. It all seems a bit odd to me , i'm wondering if its maybe the chargemaster at fault possibly?
Nothing wrong with the charger. This is what a PHEV does.

But please, stop expressing amount of charge in terms of 'p'. It is meaningless if we don't know your tariff. And we don't want to know ;) KWh is the meaningful unit to use.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm 

Bobbybuttons wrote:
I plugged it in today from an empty battery and my app said it would take 2 hours 45minutes to charge ( i have a chargemaster installed)
I checked app again after this time and battery was full with 21 miles estimate ev range car displayed charge complete and the charge cost was 74p.
So i plugged it back in again so i know it will be full for the morning and it clicks as it always does when you plug it in and green light comes on chargemaster again to say charging.

Does your Chargemaster operate at 220/240 volts. What is the Amp rating?

Outlander PHEV apparently will only charges at 3.3kWh or 15 Amps at 240 volts, so if it charged for 2 hrs and 45 min. Drive Battery accepted 9 kWh of power.

You say when you plugged it in again it said 1 hr to charge. Did you check to see if it did in fact charge for 1 momore hr?

This is where the PHEV dog App could come in handy to check how much charge Battery actually took