Realistic range?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robdickinson said:
So 41km indicated range this morning (live on a hill).

23km to work, showing 20km left. Getting most of my commute on ev alone will be great.

Think I'd need at least another 10km to actually get home that hill is a killer

What is the actual distance from home to work. You say you started with a range of 41km. You said that 23kms was used? You should have gained a few kms with the regenative braking. Once you determine the actual distance to work we can try to figure what you may be gaining from regeneration.

On my 2018 PHEV with no hills I gain 2 kms from regeneration on a 20km drive so with the hill you should have gained much more.

It's 23km.

I can gain up to 8 with a part used battery on the hill from home.

But in the morning my battery is fully charged so most of that gets wasted I expect

robdickinson said:
It's 23km.

I can gain up to 8 with a part used battery on the hill from home.

But in the morning my battery is fully charged so most of that gets wasted I expect

Yes you are right. Unfortunately that may be the case. Not enough Room in Battery to accept the Charge available thru Regeneration.

Perhaps see if you can borrow a Bulldozer to take down that Hill. Just kidding.

robdickinson said:
My range dropped from 41 to 20 by going 23 kms

Yes, meaning that you gained 2 kms from Regeneration.

Be nice if you had a charge port at the bottom of the hill or one at work to gain power to get you up the hill in EV Move.

Does your PHEV have Eco Mode? if yes, try that see if it makes any difference.

So made it to the bottom of the hill coming home, that's 45kms before the ice kicked in.

Actually slightly better than I was expecting.. Still think I'd need another 2-3 plus kwh to make it up the hill

robdickinson said:
So made it to the bottom of the hill coming home, that's 45kms before the ice kicked in.

Actually slightly better than I was expecting.. Still think I'd need another 2-3 plus kwh to make it up the hill

That is great.

Actually I think all us Outlander PHEV Owners wish we had an additional 4kWh. Why Mitsubishi decided not to use a 16kWh Battery still befuddles me.

Question: During your Commute to and from work do you travel at speeds of 100 kph or higher? If yes, I think it may be beneficial if you were use the ICE at Highway speeds to save enough Battery to make it up the hill on only Battery. Fuel economy on ICE at higher speeds would be better than using the ICE going up a Hill. What do you think?

Hmmm. What else can I suggest.

Ok so if you drive in Eco Mode, are you able to keep the Power gauge meter in the green and within the Eco lettering? If traffic behind you is not too pressing, please try that to see if you can get greater range. Hopefully get you enough to get you partially up the hill before the ICE kicks in.

Coast down the hill in B0 (and beyond if possible) so that you keep the full charge for the rest of the journey. :idea:

PHEV07 said:
[Yes, meaning that you gained 2 kms from Regeneration.
That is questionable, as he started with a full battery. More likely, he had a few free (or near free) kms going down hill that didn't impact his remaining range. Also, the low energy consumption during his morning commute makes that car overestimate the distance that can be travelled with the remaining charge. So, in the afternoon, when traveling the other direction, EV range is likely to go down faster than than the odometer is going up.

Several of us, including me, have seen 80 or 90 km remaining EV range (even on partially charged batteries) after coming down mountain roads in the French alps. To be honest, my previous Diesel (an Outlander too) once showed a remaining range of 1999 km (before switching to ----, as the display could not handle numbers above 1999). This was on half a tank of Diesel while towing my caravan :lol: And that car obviously has no regen whatsoever.

robdickinson said:
Yeah the range thing is very elastic depending on how it's driven etc.
Guess-O-Meter(tm)

When you're in a sadistic mood, take a short drive with your inner teen (drive it like you stole it), cycle power, then pretend you're 'driving Miss Daisy' - you can almost smell the guess-o-meter's processor cursing at you. :lol:

:D yep I'm sure that will cause it trouble..

My last ~1.5kms is up a hill (200m change in altitude) so quite steep this seems to confuse it somewhat!

Today started at 37kms 'range' got to work with 22 left ( 23km trip).
It'll probably be down to 18 when I get in for some reason..

Also now have access to the wifi and the app installed and running, ac is scheduled to come on at 16:00 lol its 34c degrees here today

Flatish terrain is useful. The guess-o-meter said I had 27 miles (44 km) of range when I left with a full battery this afternoon. 25 miles (41 km) later I was back home with 6 miles (9 km) remaining. Most of the drive was on divided highway at up to 70 MPH (115 kph), though most was slower due to afternoon rush-hour traffic. (70°F/21°C)

Ok so running it mostly on ev for the last few weeks here is the current cell voltages

Looks like that cell is actually improving with the battery conditioning? Gone from. 0.052v under to 0.042..?

Back