2016 Outlander keyfob hack. REMOTE HEATER!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming this still works on a 2018 model year, would it be possible to disconnect the panic button and use that existing button for remote heating instead?

Harald said:
elm70 said:
Anyhow ... there are millions of possible reasons...
fully agree

Well if you think about it, the app displays a warning about putting the heater on when there are people in the car. They obviously can't put out a warning if the now missing button on the key fob turned the heater on. That's my guess.

Has anyone with a 2017 or 2018 had any luck at all with this? I really want to find a way to get this to work, but haven’t had any luck. When I short the contacts on the side of the fob where the blank button would be, the light on the fob flashes, but the car doesn’t react at all.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

generaltso said:
Has anyone with a 2017 or 2018 had any luck at all with this? I really want to find a way to get this to work, but haven’t had any luck. When I short the contacts on the side of the fob where the blank button would be, the light on the fob flashes, but the car doesn’t react at all.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

You need to make a double click .. like for open the trunk door.

Once the double click is recognized, the car will make 3 blinker flash for acknowledge the request.

After the process start .. normally nothing can be hear .. at least if heating is requested, first the car need to warm up some fluid, and then it will use the blower for send warm air in the cabin .. this process can take several minutes based on the outside temperature.

As far as I know, not every PHEV has electric heating system.

elm70 said:

Once the double click is recognized, the car will make 3 blinker flash for acknowledge the request.

After the process start .. normally nothing can be hear .. at least if heating is requested, first the car need to warm up some fluid, and then it will use the blower for send warm air in the cabin .. this process can take several minutes based on the outside temperature.

Yup, I did try a double click. I also tried a triple click and quadruple click just to make sure. But the car does not respond at all. My car does have an electric heater, and I do use preheat through a schedule and through the app. Not sure what else to try.

generaltso said:
elm70 said:

Yup, I did try a double click. I also tried a triple click and quadruple click just to make sure. But the car does not respond at all. My car does have an electric heater, and I do use preheat through a schedule and through the app. Not sure what else to try.

I would be very interested in if this will work for a US 2018. The app with Android is simply terrible and only works maybe 5% of the connection attempts.

vtski56 said:
I would be very interested in if this will work for a US 2018. The app with Android is simply terrible and only works maybe 5% of the connection attempts.

I’ve tried everything I can think of and can’t get it to work. Unless anyone can come up with something else to try, it seems to be a no go with the 2018.

generaltso said:
vtski56 said:

I’ve tried everything I can think of and can’t get it to work. Unless anyone can come up with something else to try, it seems to be a no go with the 2018.

I took the key fob out today. Here is what I tried:

1) Using a screwdriver bit I was able to short the two contacts directly across from the EV charge stop button.
2) I tried continuous and double and triple taps. The remote control light would illuminate but nothing seemed to happen on the vehicle.
3) While inside the vehicle, I shorted with the screwdriver and pushed the EV charge stop button at the same time. This locked the vehicle. When I tried this outside the vehicle, nothing seemed to happen. Did not seem to activate any HVAC function.
4) I tried a bunch of other combinations as well with various buttons. Non of which seem to have changes anything.

Well I've done the SW3 mod on my 2017 Juro with the same does nothing result. And Yes I am doing it correctly.

I have noticed that pressing (or shortening to ground) SW3 DOES send a signal to the car, as it turns on the charging bay light which is odd.

I think the heating facility has simply been disabled as it poses a safety risk, maybe Dealers can enable/ disable functions of a key fob much like BMW others?

Good evening all!

I appreciate this topic has been covered extensively with 10 pages of replies, which I think is making me more confused.... I am in the UK with a 2016 PHEV 4h.
My key has three silver buttons on the front (lock,unlock,electric tailgate)
It also has 2 buttons on the sides, one of which is blank. The other has a clock symbol and the word “off” on it.

See photo...

Now from what I can make out, if I swap that button and micro switch, to the other side, when I double click it, it should start the heaters in the car.

Is this correct?

Many thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 69016BC9-71B6-40EF-B706-695E89AFC50D.jpeg
    69016BC9-71B6-40EF-B706-695E89AFC50D.jpeg
    782 KB · Views: 175
MrPastry said:
I fitted the 4th switch today & soldered the link wire to TP6.
When pressing the 4th button twice quickly (as you would for the boot), the led flashed on the remote but the car (2015 model) did not respond at all.

Having read more from another site, I decided to connect the link wire to TP5.
Now when I pressed the 4th button twice quickly, the car responded with 3 short & fast indicator flashes.
I went back to the car after 15 minutes, put my ear to the drivers window & could hear the heater blower running.
When I opened the door, the blower stopped as expected. The cabin was cosy & warm. :D

Hey, Thanks. Was having trouble with getting this to work. TP5 worked for me, Jan 2015 GX4H
:D :D
Dom

I found the tactile switch that look like the one in the keyfob. (if anyone with an older car want to add an extra)

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-1000pcs-Tactile-Switch-Momentary-Tact-3-5X6-for-phone-side-push-button/1283951763.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_4_10152_10151_10065_10068_10344_10342_10343_10340_10341_10696_10084_10083_10618_10307_10301_10303_10059_308_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620%2Csearchweb201603_32%2CppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=5721ff0e-8bbf-4b61-bcae-2b44bc5d5b5d-4&algo_pvid=5721ff0e-8bbf-4b61-bcae-2b44bc5d5b5d&priceBeautifyAB=0

generaltso said:
elm70 said:

Did anyone get this working on an '18 (USA/Canada)? Like others, I truly HATE the android app!

Brilliant hack!! Why have I not found this before? Been fighting with WiFi poor range and poor Android app for two years now. After service last week, I got an update installed requireing an Android app update too, "Remote Ctrl 1". And now things have gone from bad to worse.... One old phone can bind, one newer refuses. WiFi config is (randomly?) lost, have to re-enter password several times.

While waiting for parts to arrive, I made a temporary hack with a small switch from the scrap box and two thin wire solder to the SW4 pads. It was possible to close the shell with wires sticking out on the side. Some black sticky tape holds the wires and switch in place.

Those parts are on order:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Remote-Key-Shell-Case-Fob-2-1-Button-for-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Outlander-Eclipse/191894620615?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-4x4x0-8mm-Tact-Switch-SMT-SMD-Tactile-membrane-switch-PUSH-Button-SPST-NO/291611571805?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
/A

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_125946-1280x960[1].jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 85
Tried this today on my 4 days old PHEV 2019 and it is not working.
Shorting the missing button SW3 (the one on the side) let the remote send, but nothing happens :oops:

I tried shorten once and shorten two time and stay shorten.

Anybody who was able to do this on a 2019?

This is my remote inside:
iTtoTllk4fiOcMFsL6iGCB6GL-nlYacAUhF9PIzPtTGqwV6NUMw_auhgUo8Ae0lnCznyGG8RVZ0BqJN2V5RNXamWZNbess0AySqgIlfYhNsCjhy8vdcf2nJvRfJ87IMt0Hz_S5nURn6M4kxTpQerfWv_yFcnuesULDZd1V8Rj4suZxFp1OhIbbwO3Wqa3II40EfdgVBihDjSZMpBlPhukyrC5x2VEhsOYN7EdpA5KUG0y-o3yaQtOe5piLhH3NzHh7sJZeikSKqpjsORS0PoU5E_q7ykFU_J8SMWNwn7cSP_58reXA36K_tu3TldSsE2EjrK5o8y3PfSbOFeulUbjNYtd-8jtPK3jcOho6u0i74cdipquZWKE-CnOz3Ty0grjpFO_oXqDyZqIXSurBcfHvv8wlhKmewZ4OAFtJqTtfCAdnXwJXBGK7C0veCmUhMGcPEcpQVZEbIFm_djG5hEfTjggsogixrbKkon5U3Tl5CjQrXzNg1ZcuXxXxFXHRMbUjX0YE_zBeol3JBEMCRdG5zsmjg_EbWnRpPdxwZwY6t0Q2YMa4LK2MPId4MJ9kNSyeJMAsjP-TcqoB4hOPS1cEZyiP2xd9AznlyYJoU_X_8UCyKnQtSCQM7RoDggiH-7OOORTljptE6dz9lmYnzzNSdaaUY-YNZoZvJmrFxnnyBqz9JIZlZg34hjj5SbFgQyERg9iiM1uoBRWSKI6A=w964-h1284-no

FUYISEfgMazr87tqrHjNi8AYISAIN1qsE_c5yUBLWV7YcpxVJ3wiKx5OJaAGk4paT-64CqpbtZlzQDHiCkqGavcaytblg44ePg-e-kekHxsf984a8dgrBAiF_EPp2k9bMEP_FzJQNMQ6zfvaigybvDeQveqsrrqnJDA_FhTvMreu7uHvWJPNsL616g5H2rqruR1zAusIOUKbRlLSEcJjU4hIcjDG1IbeTQSOmmZDZ9N37m_rEklKkJEt8d8KOArNkIalQlrKn-Bn-SNzhf05jSwt2pKRLZQwGNvzmwFkg3wkbGw1xBSf-cnmraWcTHLgNe9u6aDzncegJu2ZkWwzbtQJJotTKdmvxuELr-S9YOyc87zEB6qDRqoPtTjFs9IgH0XTdwq2arEoZF44qxuwA2-EU0fl-Ufr7hTZryGBqE5ASzLnz03KDufoX_wG7qBx2smyGzzKmg4p-yD2Tt9kET3RyEAOcTPHbM3M7AwY7c4-g1bY3zAF2fW_gEM3i4PL9Q_YEZarPIu-uf3O5MpSFGhZSybsl4PRN4UCtpNVPRqrFqoub4ozrh_IoeLwhO5-BBRmFhKOUitbpvlSirjoIiUaZYgKy8AoySZ55o7K9452qj4Jz5YdhhRwAaeIu1iIJ2D20gqaDK0Uz8sI35qMI_KAWYt7uS25aD6QELkJkdpOyqjWtZSUvMCEqpyYkvPm6dfPGNTX-bNiyqboUw=w964-h1284-no

Mitch said:
Tried this today on my 4 days old PHEV 2019 and it is not working.
Shorting the missing button let the remote send, but nothing happens :oops:

I tried shorten once and shorten two time and stay shorten.

Anybody who was able to do this on a 2019?

Nope. It doesn’t work on a 2018 either.

Maybe we should summarize the findings on what switch or test point to use:

MY13: SW4 / TP6
MY14: SW4 / TP6
MY15: SW3 / TP5
MY16: SW3 / TP5
MY17: N/A
MY18: N/A
MY19: N/A

Please correct or add if anything is incorrect or missing.
/A

Back