Killing acoustic vehicle alerting system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Skruffel.

Hope this helps.
Look on the diagram for C-241 (16) Acoustic vehicle alerting-ECU

avas_location.jpg

avas_removal.jpg

Hi, MrP,

Does this translate to LHD? That's what Skruffel has. I had no trouble finding it on my RHD, it was where your diagram said it was!

So I’ve been trying to locate the damn thing even with the splendid pictures supplied above. However, still without luck. I’m staring to believe the damn thing is hidden somewhere else on my European 2014 PHEV.

Just look at these pictures I took just now. They’re uploaded to google drive and shouldn’t require any login. It doesn’t even look the same as above!!! I *did* however find the cables for the steering wheel servo (symbol O)... Quickly plugged them back in after removal though. Driving without electric steering would be challenging to say the least... #killme

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1k09sU6Ml0-EtGY89ouH8XaqbbGD9hw_J?usp=sharing
EDIT: The old link required a permission to be viewed. The link above is updated as of 22:40 GMT +2 and requires no permission what so ever.

Skruffel,

on your pictures I only see the fuse-box at the left knee. In my (LHD 2016) car, the AVAS-box is behind this fuse box, a little more right. Not at the left knee, but near the toes of your left foot. You can only see the silver box, when you put your head on the carpet and look up.

I cut the violet wire (pin 1) on the connector C-241, and connected two wires to a real switch right beside the AVAS-off-button.
(unfortunately I have no fotos)
Works fine. Now, this switch is normally off, and I can start driving without pressing any buttons but "Power".

If you can not find the box with this information, maybe the 2016 info is not valid for your car?

Good luck
Paul

Resurrecting this discussion for 2022/2023 model years...anyone figured out a way to disable the AVAS system on the new generation? I don't see any obvious control boxes in my foot well, nor any fuses labeled as such in the fuse boxes (my '17 Bolt has a fuse just for the noise maker, so disabling it was super easy, just pull the fuse!)

I think I see a black box under the hood (not easily accessible) that seems to be where the sound is coming from. So, I guess worst case, I could try to get to it and disconnect it, see if that helps...

Ok after a little poking around, I figured it out. A little more involved than just pulling a fuse unfortunately, but still only takes about 20 minutes with the right tools, and is easily reversible.

2023 PHEV, the hard way:
So there are 2 "speakers" hidden behind the front bumper/facia, one on either side, basically behind the fog lights. On each side jack the car up and remove the wheel, then strategically remove about 10-12 plastic poppits around the wheel well area. Then you can peel that plastic back, reach in and just disconnect the connector to the speaker.

Bonus points if you splice the wire and add a toggle switch inside the cabin, so you could control it on-demand!

Driver's side example:
Screenshot_20230319-133843~3.png

This is very interesting, but my AVAS can already be turned off in the cabin...

Has that function been dropped?

I think in early EVs the noisemaker was sort of optional, certainly not govt mandated. Then at some point (2020?) it became mandatory and non-defeatable on all vehicles while operating on electric power.

Back