Any YouTube cross-axle footage?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailordoc

I’ve read many times that the PHEV cannot handle cross-axle situations due to the open diffs. Has anyone come across any YouTube or similar footage demonstrating this? I’ve tried a few searches but nothing relevant comes up.

Sailordoc said:
I’ve read many times that the PHEV cannot handle cross-axle situations due to the open diffs. Has anyone come across any YouTube or similar footage demonstrating this? I’ve tried a few searches but nothing relevant comes up.
Hi Sailordoc,

I put this on here last year I think showing cross-axle slip and showing how I get out of it from what I was taught from my dad ie "TURN THE BLOODY STEERING WHEEL SON" he would say :lol:

Here my oldest son is practising while my youngest son films. So passing the knowledge on. :D

Click on the image.

The motor noise is from a diesel front end loader in the background used to make the 2 mounds of dirt.

Was it you that PMed me about the Geolandars tyres?

Regards Trex.

Trex said:
I put this on here last year I think showing cross-axle slip and showing how I get out of it from what I was taught from my dad ie "TURN THE BLOODY STEERING WHEEL SON" he would say :lol:
Thanks for the video.
As the wheel is not completely floating, and you reference steering, does this mean that the breaks do not engage on the spinning wheel :?:

It's a first generation one, those had no cross-axle braking. In this case, half-pulling the handbrake might have been a solution.

Phevy said:
generaltso said:
That's not a PHEV.
Exactly.
So is the PHEV S-AWC the same or not?
Did someone do this test with a PHEV?
:?:

The S-AWC system in the PHEV is not the same. I haven’t seen any videos of anyone doing that same test with a PHEV. This is probably the closest thing:

https://youtu.be/H_imGaSZ1B8

generaltso said:
Phevy said:
Exactly.
So is the PHEV S-AWC the same or not?
Did someone do this test with a PHEV?
:?:

The S-AWC system in the PHEV is not the same. I haven’t seen any videos of anyone doing that same test with a PHEV. This is probably the closest thing:...
I've seen this video, but the driver is not letting the wheel spin fast enough and long enough for the S-AWC to kick in :!:
At least, if it works the same as the non-PHEV S-AWC shows. S-AWC seems to need enough of a difference in revolutions between left and right before engaging.
With concern of tire wear, people are reluctant to let the spinning endure. That's why an actual cross-axle situation with a free floating wheel, be a more desirable test to prove the system functioning.
I'm not planning to pull from a boat ramp. but I have had hairy situations on sloping camp sites with tree roots and sand, that made me wish I had 4WD at the time, when my front wheels started to slip.
Therefore I'm interested in the off-road capabilities of the PHEV.
It would also rebuke that infamous video of the boat ramp fail... :mrgreen:

Trex said:
Sailordoc said:
Hi Sailordoc,

Here my oldest son is practising while my youngest son films. So passing the knowledge on. :D

Click on the image.

The motor noise is from a diesel front end loader in the background used to make the 2 mounds of dirt.

Regards Trex.

Yes, it was me that PMed you about the Geolandar. Very happy with them - they have dealt with wet mud very well and were excellent on snow too :D

jaapv said:
It's a first generation one, those had no cross-axle braking. In this case, half-pulling the handbrake might have been a solution.

I’ve seen the lack of cross-axle braking for my 1st gen quoted, but can find no reference in the manual or online. Where did you get your info from? If it’s true, that may be enough to make me switch to a Discovery Sport, as I need the car to be able to cope with light off road work.

It is very simple: if the sticker on your rear window says "4WD" it can be cross-axled. If it says "S-AWC" it has a braking system to stop spinning wheels.

jaapv said:
It is very simple: if the sticker on your rear window says "4WD" it can be cross-axled. If it says "S-AWC" it has a braking system to stop spinning wheels.

Oh dear! That is very bad news. I wonder why they omitted such a basic function of all wheel drive design? It is a shame, but there you are. The car has already depreciated by 60% in a bit over 2.5 years, so I guess it is a question of either live with the serious design flaw or swallow the loss and move to a proper AWD car such as the Discovery Sport. Something to ponder for a while before making a decision I suspect. One thing is certain - after seeing the depreciation on the PHEV I’ll never buy another one!

It is a strange omission, given that all the needed hardware is on board; the car clearly never was intended as an off-roader. A soft-roader if you like. If I wanted to have a serious off-road vehicle, it would have been a Pajero, or, more likely, a Landcruiser.
The lack of ground clearance and skid plates makes niceties like lack of locking diffs rather moot.

Trex said:

Regards Trex.

Sailordoc said:
Yes, it was me that PMed you about the Geolandar. Very happy with them - they have dealt with wet mud very well and were excellent on snow too :D

Glad you like them. :) They work well for me as well. That movie I showed was with the old original tyres. The new ones have heaps more traction for me.

Sailordoc said:
Oh dear! That is very bad news. I wonder why they omitted such a basic function of all wheel drive design? It is a shame, but there you are. The car has already depreciated by 60% in a bit over 2.5 years, so I guess it is a question of either live with the serious design flaw or swallow the loss and move to a proper AWD car such as the Discovery Sport. Something to ponder for a while before making a decision I suspect. One thing is certain - after seeing the depreciation on the PHEV I’ll never buy another one!

Now I have not checked whether Jaav is correct or not about the braking system to stop the spinning wheel but it does not worry me if he was right. Spinning wheels to gain traction is not what you should do anyway IMO.

When the wheels start to spin you should be turning that steering wheel to gain back traction is what I was taught. Just like my son was practising in that movie I brought in.

A good driver like my dad (the best I have seen in real life, up close, and was a rally car driver) could take cars places others thought impossible and no fancy diff locks or electronic traction control aids to help him. But he always used good tyres.

Now you IMO have some really good tyres on the PHEV now. Are you having trouble with cross-axle traction on the PHEV since you put them on as it sounds like you are going off road with the PHEV?

BTW I know about the depreciation but I am buying another one. :D I will have 2 PHEVS. :cool: Depreciation only matters to me when I sell them and that is around the 10 year mark for me. Will cross that bridge when I come to it. ;)

Regards Trex.

Trex said:
Trex said:

Regards Trex.

Sailordoc said:

Glad you like them. :) They work well for me as well. That movie I showed was with the old original tyres. The new ones have heaps more traction for me.

Sailordoc said:

Now I have not checked whether Jaav is correct or not about the braking system to stop the spinning wheel but it does not worry me if he was right. Spinning wheels to gain traction is not what you should do anyway IMO.

When the wheels start to spin you should be turning that steering wheel to gain back traction is what I was taught. Just like my son was practising in that movie I brought in.

A good driver like my dad (the best I have seen in real life, up close, and was a rally car driver) could take cars places others thought impossible and no fancy diff locks or electronic traction control aids to help him. But he always used good tyres.

Now you IMO have some really good tyres on the PHEV now. Are you having trouble with cross-axle traction on the PHEV since you put them on as it sounds like you are going off road with the PHEV?

BTW I know about the depreciation but I am buying another one. :D I will have 2 PHEVS. :cool: Depreciation only matters to me when I sell them and that is around the 10 year mark for me. Will cross that bridge when I come to it. ;)

Regards Trex.

Hi Trex,

No, I’ve not had the cross-axle situation as yet. I’ve been very careful to avoid it, given the worry about how it will perform, but suspect it is only a matter of time until I can’t avoid it any more. The off road work has been mainly rough tracks and very wet muddy fields in shooting estates. It was hopeless on the original tyres, but since changing to the Geolandar 015s has coped well so far, although the ground clearance is an issue. My measured ground clearance under the exhaust is only 172mm rather than the claimed 190mm. I have scraped the underside a few times and am getting a bit fed up of scraping mud from around the exhaust after going off road.

However, the decision regarding whether to change is not an easy one. Although I now do many more longer journeys than previously (hence worse fuel consumption) and have suffered horrific depreciation, the car is paid for so there is an argument for simply running it into the ground until the battery fails. Also, although the Discovery Sport is far better off-road, with higher ground clearance, there are lots of reports of oil dilution caused by DPF issues leading to more frequent oil changes (in some cases as often as every 8000 miles). Decisions, decisions.....

Back