Did another drive battery test.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

I did another drive battery test today.

I do this test by driving with a fully charged drive battery on a Sunday morning, (light traffic so few red lights) with no heating or air conditioner along the same route (same speed) after resetting the odometer and note when the petrol motor starts and goes into hybrid mode. The results of the tests are:

1. 52.5kms Just after buying Phev early April 2014
2. 52.9kms 6ths months later ie October 2014
3. 51.8kms April 2015 Now this test had notable more traffic (some big area championships soccer games) ie stopped at traffic lights more than last 2
4. 53.0kms October 2015
5. 48.2kms January 2017 Battery condition was 86.05% according to EVBatmon.
6. 45.1kms February 2018 Battery condition was 78.68% according to EVBatmon.

Had my Geolander 4wd tyres fitted just after test last year and these show up as slightly worse fuel consumption. I still the love the Geolanders though. :D

Regards Trex.

G'day Trex - interesting info and arguably supports battery decline fears of others - not me, because my daily commute is less than 10 miles, pay no Congestion Charge, only nominal parking fees and don't sit wallowing in my own pollution in traffic jams. :mrgreen:

Do you have the mileage figures on these dates so we can see if there is any apparent relationship to usage?

greendwarf said:
G'day Trex - interesting info and arguably supports battery decline fears of others - not me, because my daily commute is less than 10 miles, pay no Congestion Charge, only nominal parking fees and don't sit wallowing in my own pollution in traffic jams. :mrgreen:

Do you have the mileage figures on these dates so we can see if there is any apparent relationship to usage?

Gday Mr greendwarf Sir,

No sorry do not have all the mileage figures on me now but we are averaging about 15,000kms per year. Just over 60,000kms now on the PHEV.

Trex said:
HHL said:
Any idea how many kWh it takes to recharge now?

Yes I did a check last week.

8.2 kWh from the wall 7.68 kWh on the MMCS.

That's odd. My MMCS and the WEMO Insight are never more than 200W different, the WEMO always measures .1 -.2 kWh more.

At 16 amps, my wall charger reports power to be 3300 watts. The bmu reports 2900 watts flowing into the battery. So, about 400 watts are lost 'at top speed '. I'm am more with Trex' numbers.

anko said:
At 16 amps, my wall charger reports power to be 3300 watts. The bmu reports 2900 watts flowing into the battery. So, about 400 watts are lost 'at top speed '. I'm am more with Trex' numbers.

Well, looks like the MMCS is measuring the power drawn from the mains supply, not what actually goes into the battery. Makes sense really, because that is what the charging cost represents. Mitsubishi in their last brochure for the 2017 PHEV also state that it will take "up to 9.8kWh" to charge, so, that lines up fairly well with what people are getting with a good battery.
Still, 400W is a fair bit to be converted into heat, no wonder the charger in the car is liquid cooled......

Back