Charging cable theft protection

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the pilot circuit is disconnected then main power is not supplied from any side, insulated cutting pliers would do the trick too if you are that hamfisted :)

jaapv said:
Those plugs are expensive as well - and it seems to be a bit dodgy to cut a cable that might have 300 V from the car on it...Better to take a couple of pliers and break the lock.

You forget how stupid these yobs are - the amount of cable in one EV charger is not worth the effort for metal thieves, so all you are going to have to worry about are those trying to nick "for a laugh" (probably when high on something) they certainly won't have any equipment with them and will just give it a bloody big yank, kick the car in and smash the window if you're lucky. :twisted:

When charging from the house the cable is plugged in inside so they would be fairly bold to come try steal in up my drive etc.

The public charging units in glasgow lock your charging cable in place at the hook up end at least and until you swipe the same RFID card that was used to activate it it wont release.

How do i know this? Because I spent 10 minutes fighting to unhook it like a plum till a wee old lady in a leaf showed me what to do!!

I bought this lock, same as one I use on my Suzuki Burgman with HD chain;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Products-OF161-Disc-Lock/dp/B000R57XDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1445521018&sr=8-1&keywords=oxford+hd+lock

Shackle is protected with rubber and has room for three loops of cable.

I posted on speakev and I can't see how to get images on here, so if you need a wall anchor then this is a great combination: http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-pivoting-wall-floor-anchor-black-115mm/98747

Wall/floor anchor with built in padlock. I have my 3m cable running through it from my untethered charge point.

That's a neat lock. I may get one for my motorcycle as it is better than the simple clasp type I have at the moment - it will do both jobs at once!

Jeff

I would also like to have this feature in my car. I have read Electric car buyers guide and great to know about benefits of electric car. I am really happy with the info that I have got and planning to buy a new electric car soon.

Jaap this morning I found my charger cable ripped out of the car. Somebody twisted it out.

when naughty people realise that EV cables cost from £100-300 depending on length, connectors and Amp rating - they will start nicking them. They'll either strip them for copper and weigh them in or sell on gumtree or ebay
a £200 cable will sell 2nd hand half price for a £100, so that's a hundred quid for a 1 min easy steal.

i put a padlock round mine, with padlock fitted through the towbar fitting, to stop the opportunist thief from unplugging and walking off. obviously won't stop a prepared thief with bolt croppers, but it will stop people unplugging and walking off with it. the mitsubishi outlander does not lock the cable unfortunately. what i also read is that a lot of other cars lock the cable when its charging and the car is locked. however when the charge is finished - can you just unplug it then???

I'm temporarily driving a 2017/18 model right now, and locking the doors locks the cable to the car,so problem solved...

djmoscow said:
when naughty people realise that EV cables cost from £100-300 depending on length, connectors and Amp rating - they will start nicking them. They'll either strip them for copper and weigh them in or sell on gumtree or ebay
a £200 cable will sell 2nd hand half price for a £100, so that's a hundred quid for a 1 min easy steal.

Really? - you've obviously never stripped cable. It is very time consuming and all you get is worth a few pence - and you need a lot to them justify the trip to the scrapyard. :lol:

And who is going to buy one on ebay? - only another EV owner who's had theirs stolen/damaged. There's no market :lol: In London these scrotes are too busy stealing mobile phones to bother with cable.

All locking does is stop mindless vandalism and may just annoy someone by locking it to actually damage the car instead. :twisted:

generaltso said:
jaapv said:
Yes. A huge clonk from the plug.

Are you sure it’s locking the cable? In the US that clonk is locking the charging door, but not the cable (which is pretty useless).
When the plug is in the door is open... I will give it a pull :)

greendwarf said:
And who is going to buy one on ebay? - only another EV owner who's had theirs stolen/damaged. There's no market
Don't know about the UK, but over here PHEV were delivered without public charge cable. At least in 2013 they were. Had to buy one separately for about 350,- EURO. Looking back, EBay doesn't sound so bad .... ;)

jaapv said:
generaltso said:
jaapv said:
Yes. A huge clonk from the plug.

Are you sure it’s locking the cable? In the US that clonk is locking the charging door, but not the cable (which is pretty useless).
When the plug is in the door is open... I will give it a pull :)
Ah! Sorry for fake news...:( It is indeed the flap lock. As the car socket is new it is a lot stiffer than mine and gave me the impression of being locked.

Back