Charging cable theft protection

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaapv said:
jaapv said:
generaltso said:
Are you sure it’s locking the cable? In the US that clonk is locking the charging door, but not the cable (which is pretty useless).
When the plug is in the door is open... I will give it a pull :)
Ah! Sorry for fake news...:( It is indeed the flap lock. As the car socket is new it is a lot stiffer than mine and gave me the impression of being locked.

I can see the value in locking the cable, but locking the flap makes no sense to me. I actually found it annoying, so I pulled the fuse.

generaltso said:
I can see the value in locking the cable, but locking the flap makes no sense to me. I actually found it annoying, so I pulled the fuse.
I can understand that. What were they thinking? That somebody might want to charge your car without your permission? :mrgreen:

In Japanese versions, you can extract power from your parked car to supply your home in case of a power outage. I don't know if that goes via the same charge port. But in that case, perhaps locking the flap makes sense?

anko said:
In Japanese versions, you can extract power from your parked car to supply your home in case of a power outage.

Off topic - but apparently UK Govt wants this so that we can charge up our cars at night and then feed the power back into the grid during the day rather than wasting it on driving around. Thus dealing with congestion and generating capacity problems in one go. It will probably be the most expensive energy storage system in history. :lol:

Great idea, thanks for this as I was going to go for the iddy bitty padlock through the hole near the trigger, restricting it from releasing. Only problem with that is it needs to be exact of the trigger still works.

A little concerned about how motivated the thief is; will they rip the charging point flap off and resolve away from the vehicle.

It also prompts me to do similar using an anchor next to my home charging point. We live in a quiet country location so shouldn't be a risk but best to be prepared

Think it's just a matter of time If the cost of the cables don't drop further.
As per another post it's just that the naughty people are not yet aware of the cables value

I use a padlock with an integrated alarm (for a motorbike) to restrain the cable to the wheel, and this sounds if interference is detected

Motion Sensor Alarm Padlock SHED Garage ALARMED Heavy Duty Wireless Siren Lock https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079ZXK853/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WG9wDbHCHPAX7

That door is rather flimsy. If someone trips over the cable it will bend - if you are lucky. Even the weight of the cable may be too much in in the long run.

Back