ICE Mileage?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting stuff Andy! But without the ability to analyze the oil, most people won’t have much recourse if Mitsubishi refuses warranty coverage for not following the required maintenance intervals. Not sure it would ever happen, but it could.

Can you change the interval for the service reminder without resetting it? Or does that option only show up after it’s reset?

generaltso said:
Interesting stuff Andy! But without the ability to analyze the oil, most people won’t have much recourse if Mitsubishi refuses warranty coverage for not following the required maintenance intervals. Not sure it would ever happen, but it could.

Can you change the interval for the service reminder without resetting it? Or does that option only show up after it’s reset?
Oil analysis is available to anyone that wants to use it. Last time I bought kits they were about $15, but that's been about 8 years. Looks like they're around $28 now. I agree, though - most consumers should stick with the minimum oil quality standard and change it according to how they drive the car. If they DIY, though, they'll want to keep receipts so they can prove that changes happened.

When I reset the service interval after the first oil change, it was set for a 6 month interval. When I reset it again, it changed to a 1 year interval. It jumped back and forth each time it was reset.

From a legal standpoint, Mitsubishi cannot refuse warranty coverage as long as the oil in the engine at the time of the failure met their minimum requirement. And if they try, the burden of proof is on them to prove that the oil caused the problem. (This is the same process that applies if we use aftermarket parts or even our OBD scanners.) They're push and complain, but we have to push and complain back. (Around 2006, VW had a problem with excessive wear on some camshafts. They initially blamed oil and the car owner. Enough owners pushed VWoA that they brought in a VW engineer to examine the failures - VW found a contractor had improperly heat treated the camshafts. The system works if owners stand their ground.)

ETA...In the US, the consumer has protections via the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It's most commonly used to support owners that have service performed by an independent shop, or that perform their own service. It's also protection from attempts to deny coverage for using non-OEM parts or different service intervals.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance#will
Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?

No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer can, however, require consumers to use select parts if those parts are provided to consumers free of charge under the warranty.

Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs.* The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
(Emphasis mine)
* If an aftermarket part did cause collateral damage, repair is covered by the part manufacturer insurance, not the OEM's insurance (warranty coverage is just an insurance policy, after all.)

Here is some info on what's behind the ILSAC GF-5 spec. An interesting note from Lubrizol (one of the two major companies that make oil additive packages for everyone - Infineum is the 2nd) is that meeting GF-5 for 0W-20 oil requires use of (at least) Group III base oil. This can be advertised as 'synthetic' in North America, but cannot be labeled 'synthetic' in the rest of the world.

Lubrizol
https://passenger.lubrizoladditives360.com/specifications/gf-5/#Ingredients

Infineum
https://www.infineum.com/media/80723/api-engine-oil-classifications.pdf

Improvements to GF-5 over GF-4

per1.jpg

Back